Symbian

Be The First To
Add Photos

Symbian Executive Director Tim Holbrow

Tim Holbrow

Good Place to Work and Grow. Bad and Old Technology for Operating Systems.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Symbian

ProsThere are some stupid managers BUT, if you are lucky enough, you can find some superb manager that will help you grow skill and career wise. And you have a certain degree of "possibility to move around", so you would be likely to change manager and, so, try different ones.

The company, even if relatively small, is structured as a big one, with all the services and processes that are important to manage correctly (and fairly) people.

ConsThere are only very few young managers: this made the company being stuck on their dominance position for too long, and today it's going to sink while other companies are entering the market with fresh, modern, new products.

Advice to Senior ManagementInnovation should be, sometime, rewrite stuff from scratch: Symbian had ages to do that, but the company always preferred to focus on "binary compatibility".
With all the people hired, it would have been possible to focus on Binary Compatibility AND start a complete new Operating System.

Good brand, but uncertaininty due to recent news about Symbian Foundation

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Symbian

ProsGood brand to work in the industry. Symbian is widely known brand and a global company. It provides great opportunity to work in one of the most dynamic industry.
Likely to be taken over by Nokia i.e., opportunity to work for the largest mobile phone manufacturer.
Good senior leadership team.

ConsCompensation.
Far too many changes. There has been number of changes being introduced, employees are losing the commitment to a change - because the change will be replaced by another one!
Limited growth opportunities. Though Symbian is growing, external applicants seems to be given priority compare to internal applicants.
Uncertaininty due to recent news about Symbian Foundation.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove compensation/benefits and manage changes

symbian bangalore

Graduate Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Symbian

Prosgreat work culture, informal atmosphere, good benefits.. and good compensation in India. Although thats a big issue in uk.

Consnew starters are integrated into the sytem very slow

Advice to Senior Managementnothing much

A great place to work (Symbian Ltd.)

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Symbian full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSymbian was a great place to work, it had some of the smartest people I have ever met working there, and (before the takeover) the facilities and culture were excellent. We had tech talks once a month and great parties.

ConsThe companies structure (owned solely by manufacturers) meant it was always too beholden to a few big device makers, this had a massive impact on what we could create and how we created it, we had to do what was best for other companies, not ourselves and the product we were creating.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo late now, but we should have pushed the product in the direction that was best for consumers and the market rather than our shareholder companies. Symbian had touchscreen before anyone else, Symbian had a promising UI that we were forced to sell.
Also, we should have paid MUCH MUCH more attention to the negative feedback we were getting from third party developers, devices (computers included) have always been about the Apps, if its too hard to create Apps, your not going to capture developer mind share, which in turn means you are not going to capture as much market share. The fact we were on 90% of smartphones and no-one else was even close, turned out to be a bad thing. We had no competition to mark ourselves against, and when iOS came out and was so far ahead in some ways (the ways that mattered), but so far behind in other ways (the ways that didn't), the threat it posed wasn't fully appreciated until it was too late.

From nothing to everywhere in four years!

I worked at Symbian

ProsI worked from the beginning of Symbian through to 2002. It was an awesome startup that really took over the tech press and dominated the mobile world...for a while

ConsAnd then those pesky handset manufacturers got in the way. Shame that so much promise was squandered in the early 2000s.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't mix customers with shareholders

Once in a lifetime opportunity

I worked at Symbian full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSymbian was one of these rare situations where a team of brilliant people come together and make the most of a tremendous market opportunity. It was an incredibly well-led company that ran like a machine and produced some of the wides ever used software on the planet.

ConsTragically, Symbian's phone vendor shareholders did not realise the potential of the people in Symbian. While the software was getting outdated and contained a lot of legacy that could not be removed, they should have used the technical talent, management capability and development process experience available in Symbian to develop a new phone OS platform that could compete on a level playing field with Google Android.

Nice to work with Symbian and u love it

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I worked at Symbian full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSo much Employee friendly and good pay

Consno future for product and any way Nokia closed this product development

Advice to Senior Managementwrong step

coolest ever on the planet earth

Packer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Symbian full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgood thing that matters most

Consreal good in benefits and bonus annually

Advice to Senior Managementvery well

Great Software Company

I worked at Symbian

ProsThere was a real focus on the software, and keeping the engineers happy. More so than I have ever seen at any other company.

ConsUnder resourced. Our internal and external customers asked for a lot - there was always too much to do, and not enough time to do it in.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall a fine job. We had a vision of the way forward, and apart from minor issues along the way, we tended to execute that vision.

Symbian - a happy place to work.

Engineering Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Symbian

ProsThe calibre of the majority of other employees. The presence of a strong social programme. A good benefits package. The training opportunities for non-technical competencies is very good and applying and being accepted for training courses is automated and rarely declined. Communication of company news via monthly team briefs is excellent and most welcome.

ConsThe difficulty of removing less than stellar employees. Some of the communication is inconsistent - not all teams get the same level of quality of information cascade.

Advice to Senior ManagementAggressively continue the current programme of improvements. Information in team cascades could be made more interesting and relevant to the engineering teams.

Worked for Symbian? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Symbian reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Symbian CEO Tim Holbrow. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Symbian employees.