Symbian

3.9

Symbian Executive Director Tim Holbrow
Tim Holbrow
1 Rating

Good Place to Work and Grow. Bad and Old Technology for Operating Systems.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Symbian

Pros

There are some stupid managers BUT, if you are lucky enough, you can find some superb manager that will help you grow skill and career wise. And you have a certain degree of "possibility to move around", so you would be likely to change manager and, so, try different ones.

The company, even if relatively small, is structured as a big one, with all the services and processes that are important to manage correctly (and fairly) people.

Cons

There are only very few young managers: this made the company being stuck on their dominance position for too long, and today it's going to sink while other companies are entering the market with fresh, modern, new products.

Innovation should be, sometime, rewrite stuff from scratch: Symbian had ages to do that, but the company always preferred to focus on "binary compatibility".
    With all the people hired, it would have been possible to focus on Binary Compatibility AND start a complete new Operating System.

Good brand, but uncertaininty due to recent news about Symbian Foundation

Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Symbian

Pros

Good brand to work in the industry. Symbian is widely known brand and a global company. It provides great opportunity to work in one of the most dynamic industry.
    Likely to be taken over by Nokia i.e., opportunity to work for the largest mobile phone manufacturer.
    Good senior leadership team.

Cons

Compensation.
    Far too many changes. There has been number of changes being introduced, employees are losing the commitment to a change - because the change will be replaced by another one!
    Limited growth opportunities. Though Symbian is growing, external applicants seems to be given priority compare to internal applicants.
    Uncertaininty due to recent news about Symbian Foundation.

Improve compensation/benefits and manage changes

symbian bangalore

Current Employee - Graduate Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Graduate Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Symbian

Pros

great work culture, informal atmosphere, good benefits.. and good compensation in India. Although thats a big issue in uk.

Cons

new starters are integrated into the sytem very slow

nothing much

A great place to work (Symbian Ltd.)

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Symbian full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Symbian was a great place to work, it had some of the smartest people I have ever met working there, and (before the takeover) the facilities and culture were excellent. We had tech talks once a month and great parties.

Cons

The companies structure (owned solely by manufacturers) meant it was always too beholden to a few big device makers, this had a massive impact on what we could create and how we created it, we had to do what was best for other companies, not ourselves and the product we were creating.

Too late now, but we should have pushed the product in the direction that was best for consumers and the market rather than our shareholder companies. Symbian had touchscreen before anyone else, Symbian had a promising UI that we were forced to sell.
    Also, we should have paid MUCH MUCH more attention to the negative feedback we were getting from third party developers, devices (computers included) have always been about the Apps, if its too hard to create Apps, your not going to capture developer mind share, which in turn means you are not going to capture as much market share. The fact we were on 90% of smartphones and no-one else was even close, turned out to be a bad thing. We had no competition to mark ourselves against, and when iOS came out and was so far ahead in some ways (the ways that mattered), but so far behind in other ways (the ways that didn't), the threat it posed wasn't fully appreciated until it was too late.

From nothing to everywhere in four years!

I worked at Symbian

Pros

I worked from the beginning of Symbian through to 2002. It was an awesome startup that really took over the tech press and dominated the mobile world...for a while

Cons

And then those pesky handset manufacturers got in the way. Shame that so much promise was squandered in the early 2000s.

Don't mix customers with shareholders

Once in a lifetime opportunity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Symbian full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Symbian was one of these rare situations where a team of brilliant people come together and make the most of a tremendous market opportunity. It was an incredibly well-led company that ran like a machine and produced some of the wides ever used software on the planet.

Cons

Tragically, Symbian's phone vendor shareholders did not realise the potential of the people in Symbian. While the software was getting outdated and contained a lot of legacy that could not be removed, they should have used the technical talent, management capability and development process experience available in Symbian to develop a new phone OS platform that could compete on a level playing field with Google Android.

Nice to work with Symbian and u love it

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Symbian full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

So much Employee friendly and good pay

Cons

no future for product and any way Nokia closed this product development

wrong step

coolest ever on the planet earth

Current Employee - Packer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Packer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Symbian full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good thing that matters most

Cons

real good in benefits and bonus annually

very well

Great Software Company

I worked at Symbian

Pros

There was a real focus on the software, and keeping the engineers happy. More so than I have ever seen at any other company.

Cons

Under resourced. Our internal and external customers asked for a lot - there was always too much to do, and not enough time to do it in.

Overall a fine job. We had a vision of the way forward, and apart from minor issues along the way, we tended to execute that vision.

Symbian - a happy place to work.

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Symbian

Pros

The calibre of the majority of other employees. The presence of a strong social programme. A good benefits package. The training opportunities for non-technical competencies is very good and applying and being accepted for training courses is automated and rarely declined. Communication of company news via monthly team briefs is excellent and most welcome.

Cons

The difficulty of removing less than stellar employees. Some of the communication is inconsistent - not all teams get the same level of quality of information cascade.

Aggressively continue the current programme of improvements. Information in team cascades could be made more interesting and relevant to the engineering teams.