Symetra

Symetra Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Symetra President, CEO, and Director Thomas M. (Tom) Marra

Thomas M. (Tom) Marra

Pros:
  • "Work-Life Balance reasonable in terms of number of hours worked ("
    in 14 reviews
  • "Great people - including leadership team"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "encourages a work/life balance but then punishes you for trying to have one"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Women in upper management positions are few and far between (if they are in"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Industry veteran still growing in marketplace.

ProsBenefits, hours, location, jeans dress code, great people, community involvement, bonus opportunity, recognition program, mentorship ops from employees in industry 15+ years. Hard work and leading by example are rewarded. Industry training, Engagement and personal development are a priority here.

ConsExpensive parking, Management communication, Culture in flux, Some veteran employees mentality of entitlement and resistance to change affects culture and morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to employees. Invest in manager "leadership" training including 1:1 coaching in departments with the most negative feedback. Budget for more Team building in each work group. Monitor and eliminate nepotism in work groups. Eliminate stack ranking of any kind.

Seriously, it's THAT bad

Anonymous (Former Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsSome employees are really great people

ConsCompany is in disarray. Many competent employees have left this place, driven out by all the silliness that passes for management and strategic direction. Seriously, it's THAT bad. The positive reviews for this Company must be fakes. Be wary of taking a job here.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house, starting at the top.

Surprised!

Bellevue, WA

ProsI was not sure of what to expect when I joined.
    I feel empowered to make changes. My management listens to me and lets me run with my ideas.
    Location is great - lunch time options are plenty.

ConsThere are people from old school, resistant to change. Office views are great but indoor space feels a little dated. Could invest in some new carpets.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to support and recognize employees and their good work.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Learning Experience

Customer Service Representative IV (Former Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsThe people are great and overtime pay was good. Nice location, lots of happy hour choices nearby.

ConsManagement is very cliquey, promoting those within their circle before others. Difficult to move up beyond your immediate department. Cost for parking was astronomical. Lots of overtime.

Horrific

Bellevue, WA

ProsLocation, accessibility to other things in Bellevue

ConsLack of trust with management. They will shoot the messenger. Even though the CFO will ask folks to reach out, they won't because they know that they can be easily targeted to be let go. And, if they do, they can still be targeted. IT is probably the worse at this. It's all about who you know and whether you get along with them, or if you can be easily manipulated by them. If you have a spine and show "true" feelings about something that doesn't really contribute to the bottom-line and it makes it difficult for other employees, if management (including VPs and Directors) don't agree with it, you have pretty much set yourself up to fail (even if you have data to prove it). If the CFO really cares, she should reach out to some former employees who are no longer dependent on SYA to get some straight answers and truly review the exit interviews (if they even did them). When that many managers leave, as well as employees, something is definitely wrong!

Advice to Senior ManagementSay what you mean and do what you say. Don't preach "trust" and then turn around and stab someone in the back.

employee moral is rolling downhill

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLocation, and great co-workers

ConsMany managers show favoritism to friends. Employees are asked to take risks to try to grow in their positions, but if a mistake occurs, they are then "targeted" until they get discouraged and quit. This behavior is from the top down.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your employees to help them grow and learn.

They're trying

New Business Support (Current Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsCompany is currently growing rapidly

Cons1 year position policy before you can move around

at first exciting it was new - then 2 yrs in horrific

Insurance (Current Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

Prosclose to everything and worked with some great team members and I had a wonderful manager -

ConsWatching people who were promoted change dramatically & not in a good way. I watched someone who had been with the company 10 yrs. finally speak up re the manager to HR. Within a month this loyal hardworking employees' work "no longer met standards" - what a shock - I watched many loyal people who had been 10 - 25+ years disappear. Management also made it difficult in certain depts to staff it so the work could be within timelines. It was intentional ... You could no longer trust HR to keep concerns w/o names attached... then these employees would disappear...

Advice to Senior ManagementBringing in East Coast management who lives the rich person lifestyle - cannot relate - It won't be long before this company is outsourced or moved to midwest or back East. What does it say about a company when even temps say they will never accept a position if reassigned. This company does not have a good reputation on the "streets".

One of the worst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsClose to bus stop, good restaurants

ConsThe IT department here is awful. 5 Development Managers have left or been asked to leave in the last year.
    If they don't get their act together soon, they will choke on there technological debt.
    The CIO has caused a deep current of mistrust within the department, The staff simply doesn't believe him anymore.
    Recently, things have become so bad, the CFO addressed the IT staff asking them to talk to her before posting anything here.
    No one will ever do that because of the IT Department upper managements' history of shooting the messenger.
    HR has asked people to post positive reviews here to try to overcome all the negatives.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to spin things, people know better than you do how bad the situation is.

Flag Review
    Symetra CFO responded to this review Apr 11, 2014 EditDelete
    I’m sorry you had a disappointing experience at Symetra. The IT department reports to me, and I am committed to upgrading our technology and making this a company where our technology professionals ... More

Not what I signed up for

Prosdecent benefits, most locations have WFH options, middle management is made up of good, hard working people

Conssenior leaderships is vague and not held accountable, IT resources are very outdated, each location seems like a separate entity-not all following the same policies/rules.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to employees. spend money where it is needed and not on sales incentives...bigger/better servers & bandwidth, encourage telecommuting in the field, lease reasonable sized space and combine locations. walk the talk and live the messages you try to promote

Worked for Symetra? Contribute to the Community!

Symetra Videos

Symetra – Why Work for Us?

We're not exactly new kids on the block. Symetra’s been around for more than 50 years. We’re experienced, stable, financially strong—just what you need from an insurance company. But there’s more to us than that. We’re… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Symetra reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Symetra CEO Thomas M. (Tom) Marra. All 103 reviews posted anonymously by Symetra employees.