Symetra

Symetra Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Symetra President, CEO, and Director Thomas M. (Tom) Marra

Thomas M. (Tom) Marra

Pros:
  • "Work-Life Balance reasonable in terms of number of hours worked ("
    in 11 reviews
  • "A lot of really great people who care about their jobs and the service they provide to our clients"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "encourages a work/life balance but then punishes you for trying to have one"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Women in upper management positions are few and far between (if they are in"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

One word: Neutral

IT Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Symetra full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWork life balance. Flexible hours. Somewhat interesting work. Very "polite" company to work for and good people to work with.

ConsMorale is low in many departments. Higher ups don't seem to have it all together and send very mixed messages. Not a lot of trust.

It's getting depressing here!

Software Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Symetra full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey pay me every two weeks.

ConsWorked here quite a long time and the hallway whispering is driving me crazy. Perks are slowly being eroded. Good people are leaving or "disappearing" on a regular basis. IT infrastructure is old and even newer systems are useless. Me and many others have a strong suspicion that the employee survey is not as anonymous as they make it out to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of some of these middle managers or at least hire some that aren't so mistrusting of their employees that they try to do their jobs for them.

Nice people but bad management

I have been working at Symetra full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat location and some great people who are fully vested in providing excellent service to their customers.

ConsManagement and HR don't really have a clue how to get the best from their personnel and so resort to reading books about "trust" in order to try and gain some! Managers have so little actual work to do that they either spend their time getting in their employees way or in meetings dreaming up methods of getting in their employees way. Let people do their job! Favoritism is rife and difficult to overcome for newcomers into the business. As a consequence people are leaving and seeing this even seasoned employees are starting to walk.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo and work somewhere else and let me do the job I'm paid to do.

Good work/life balance

Systems Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Symetra full-time for more than a year

ProsReasonable work hours. Great for maintaining a family life.
Good place to learn and being able to contribute.

ConsBig old company with long history from Safeco time.
It is political.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to be more transparent. They are trying to achieve that. But it's not happening yet.

A good company with many nice people

Senior Administrative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Symetra full-time for less than a year

Pros-Good compensation and benefits
-Flexible work hours and great location
-Supportive supervisors (luckily I have them)
-Super friend people (most of them are)

Cons-A lot of teams seem to be disorganized
-Too many meetings for managerial level

Symetra is a good company!

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Symetra full-time for less than a year

ProsI've been with the company for less than a year, but wanted to share my thoughts. There are many good things about this company, and more to come. Are there growing pains? Yes. Is it perfect? No. Having said that, you get what you give. If you are a hard worker and contribute, you'll be rewarded, which will lead to satisfaction. If not, well, you may gripe about things, which will lead to dissatisfaction. Pros include:

- Excellent location
- A lot of really great people who care about their jobs and the service they provide to our clients
- Good work environment, although it can be hectic at times. We're busy...it's good!
- Lots of potential to progress within the company
- Management is striving to empower people to come up with ideas, to provide suggestions on improving processes, to have a voice (I've noticed that some people thrive when given this opportunity, while others don't speak up). If you don't speak up, you shouldn't gripe.

ConsThere are a few cons:

- We seem to run in a reactive mode - there needs to be a paradigm shift to proactiveness, especially with work volumes
- Some teams seem to work in silos - if there was a more inclusive approach in managing work volumes, I believe the volume of work could be parsed out as needed

Advice to Senior Management- Listen to the folks in the trenches...they have a lot to offer
- Make yourself more visible

I like Symetra!

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Symetra full-time for more than 5 years

ProsInteresting, challenging work-ability to advance in career-company supports education & training - great coworkers-salary is in line with experience & position-can work flexible hours & can work from home-good benefits--growing company with opportunities for those that are interested-I've worked at a lot of places all over the country, for lots of different kinds of people & Symetra is one of the best--complainers should try working at a really bad company, then compare.

ConsSome managers need new personalities & micromanage too much--but, I happen to love my manager, the director of my unit & the VP of my department.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think they do a pretty good job of keeping employees informed about the company and I think they are really invested in moving the company forward and growing

One of the Worst Companies to Work For

I have been working at Symetra full-time

ProsGenerally good work-life balance, some nice people, great downtown Bellevue location

ConsOne of the most political environments. One Senior manager tried to manage the employee engagement survey by having a lot of "manipulated" activities so employees would rank the company higher, especially his survey.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop losing so many valued employees by actually listening to what they are saying when they leave. Stop pretending to "care" by reading books of trust -- trust is earned, not achieved by reading a book. Stop allowing VPs to manage up and not really listen to the employees who are leaving. And stop telling folks to try "new" ideas if you really don't want to allow them to push for change but would rather continue to work "politically."

VP CMO

Vice President CMO (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time for more than a year

Prosworking with teams to create a value prop and hit the strategic objective

Consleadership is weak, expect to work independently

Advice to Senior Managementtalk to the team

Symetra is not a good place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Symetra full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe location in Bellevue is excellent.

ConsThe current CEO destroyed a wonderful company with a great culture. He has no interest in the people who build and sustained the company. Symetra is publicly traded and all the upper management cares about is enriching themselves through boosting the stock price. Compensation and benefits have been boosted by upper management for their own enrichment at the expense of the "little "people". People who have devoted their lives to the company have been dismissed with nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow a soul. Take your money and leave. Go back to the East Coast and hire someone willing to invest in the people and economy of the Northwest.

Worked for Symetra? Contribute to the Community!

Symetra Videos

Symetra – Why Work for Us?

We're not exactly new kids on the block. Symetra’s been around for more than 50 years. We’re experienced, stable, financially strong—just what you need from an insurance company. But there’s more to us than that. We’re… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Symetra reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Symetra CEO Thomas M. (Tom) Marra. All 91 reviews posted anonymously by Symetra employees.