Symetra

Updated January 20, 2015
2.9

Symetra President, CEO, and Director Thomas M. (Tom) Marra
Thomas M. (Tom) Marra

Pros
  • Great friendly people to work with, reasonable work-life balance and flexibility (in 17 reviews)

• Some employees are really great people (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • I am a dedicated employee & hard worker but I'm having to watch my peers fall apart around me from overwork & lack of work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Women in upper management positions are few and far between (if they are in (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company!

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra

Pros

Symetra is a great company to work at!
    1) Professional and nice people
    2) Friendly and collaborative environment
    3) Challenging projects to keep you interested and motivated
    4) Good work-life balance
    5) Nice location for lunch walks :)

Cons

I am satisfied with everything so far, do not see any downsides yet.

Keep up a good work in improving the excellence and having great people on-board!

Can be good or terrible experience, and nowhere in between

Former Employee - New Business Representative in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - New Business Representative in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Greta atmosphere outside of the daily grind. Company is committed to community service. Great medical benefits.

Cons

No training program; expects employees to learn on the fly while tying their bonus directly to output/accuracy. Departments don't work well together and blame other departments for overseights/screw ups. Upper management quick to hire friends as mid-level management without proper qualifications or knowledge of employee's jobs/duties. Seems like company is planning headquarter move to Iowa from their WA location

Develop a training program for all employees. Promote from within department to mid-level rather than hire friends

Conservative culture, but change is coming

Former Employee - IT Intern in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - IT Intern in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Business is booming and they are hiring like crazy. I was able to work on some high visibility projects within different teams at Symetra. I enjoyed learning about the insurance industry and how IT fits in it. I saw a lot of propositions for change within the IT division, time will tell if they follow through with them though. Work life balance for full time employees who were NOT managers seemed to be okay. I would between 40 - 45 hour work weeks. Managers however I saw work 55+ hour work weeks.

Cons

While it is a smaller insurance company, the culture is still very conservative. Most full time employees in my meetings were 45+ and male. Change is slow and managers and their teams are often siloed. They lose sight of what other teams are working on and how they fit into the bigger picture which leads to lack of motivation to do their best work. I am eager for them to chose a CIO. I feel that the IT division will greatly benefit from a full time and dedicated CIO who can best represent the division and its projects. Pay is not on par with other companies in the area. I would suggest they raise the salary for IT interns to make the program more competitive with other companies in the Seattle area.

Grab IT interns before they go off and find other employment after completing an internship at Symetra. The IT industry is very hot in Seattle right now and you will lose good potential full time employees by sitting on your hands and waiting until the last minute to give them an offer.

slow culture for IT professional

I worked at Symetra full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No downsizes or layoffs. People can work here forever.

Cons

In IT there are a lot of people who do not like to work very hard and the culture is slow.

replace some of the people who have worked there forever, specially the people that work remotely. they do not do very much.

Great Company

Current Employee - Unit Manager in Enfield, CT
    Current Employee - Unit Manager in Enfield, CT

I have been working at Symetra full-time (less than a year)

Pros

What a way to make a difference!! Being hired by this start up has been great for my career. I'm excited by all the new challenges and truly making a difference. The growth opportunities are amazing, and we are pulling in some very good talent.

Cons

No work from home and it seems we're running out of space, but a new design that will be coming next year will be great!

I appreciate the time they give to listen to ideas from the staff. People are very helpful as well.

Customer Service Rep - Don't do it

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits aren't bad, and you can get decent medical coverage for a reasonable amount of our of pocket expenses, but you have to be willing to share your health status in some detail with the health insurance company.

Cons

The training program they promise doesn't exist. I'd say it is the worst on the job training I've ever experienced. With that said, once they think you are 'ready' or at least good enough, you are going to get scored as if you've been trained. The scoring system is a interesting(?), and you are scored by the same team that 'trained' you.

Put together a structured training program, with a schedule and stick to it. Bring in people with experience training. Keep your word. It's hard enough to keep people in a call center like this but when management keeps making promises they don't keep, it's hard to get employees to remain loyal.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I was hired as a contractor in April, after two months of hard work, I was converted as a Business Analyst. My management and VP recognize my talent, which is very important to me in a company. I also see a lot of opportunities to learn and grow, my manger always encourage me to give out new ideas for improvement, and I have the freedom to execute them as well. I love working here.

Cons

no free coffee, but I'll live.

Keep it up!

This is a great time to work for Symetra.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity, culture, work/life balance. I've worked hard and been promoted 3 times in 3 years. My salary and responsibilities have grown commesurate with my desire to contribute and make a difference. I have a great boss and a team that cares about being a part of something more than just working for a paycheck.

Cons

Negativity can be a con but this is more about those that have been impacted by necessary changes and tough decisions that need to be made in areas that weren't working, like IT. Company is moving in the right direction in terms of values and culture. Takes time to do things right and a few mistakes will happen along the way. Symetra is definitely learning from their mistakes and moving forward with optimism and a solid vision for where we want to be in 6 years.

Keep investing in the culture and the advancing the message that your people are your #1 asset.

Company interested in self-improvement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Mid-size company working hard to grow the business and become a national player. Nice location, decent benefits and advancement opportunities. Good people and interesting work.

Cons

Continual staffing changes make employees uneasy and affects employee engagement.

Change is necessary but some sense of stability would improve employee morale. Work on better defining our culture. Senior management seems a bit uninvolved with the rank and file.

Lacking Integrity

I have been working at Symetra full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people on the front lines are hard working, in many cases passionate and understand the business.

Cons

Middle management suffers from amateur attempts at empire building and clumsy political associations. Power and deference are often given to middle managers without any seeming reason other than past history at other companies. Without a dedicated CIO, the IT department has no representation with the business and is the center of blame for any failures by the business to produce result. On the flip side, the business takes all credit for any successes while IT is simply considered an expenditure of cash. If the business is often forced to make necessary upgrades because the infrastructure has reached a critical level and still can drag their feet if money is involved. HR no longer represents the people but is in place to keep the wheels on the cart. During my time, I never witnessed a single change based on the exit interviews provided by employees who left the company.

Hire a new CIO who believes in joining business and IT initiatives together. The CIO should be able to stand up and sell IT initiatives, especially critical upgrades, to the executive leadership team and have the business accept that this is for the benefit of the company and not just an inconvenience to be put off. Hire new leadership over HR and remember what it is to represent the workers.