Symetra Reviews

Updated October 9, 2014
2.7

Symetra President, CEO, and Director Thomas M. (Tom) Marra
Thomas M. (Tom) Marra

Pros
  • Great friendly people to work with, reasonable work-life balance and flexibility (in 17 reviews)

• Some employees are really great people (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • I am a dedicated employee & hard worker but I'm having to watch my peers fall apart around me from overwork & lack of work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Women in upper management positions are few and far between (if they are in (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was hired as a contractor in April, after two months of hard work, I was converted as a Business Analyst. My management and VP recognize my talent, which is very important to me in a company. I also see a lot of opportunities to learn and grow, my manger always encourage me to give out new ideas for improvement, and I have the freedom to execute them as well. I love working here.

Cons

no free coffee, but I'll live.

Keep it up!

The experience at Symetra provided me with valuable knowledge and skills to successfully advance my IT career.

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Bellevue, NE
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Bellevue, NE

I worked at Symetra full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pros of working at Symetra include but not limited to: Team effort, management support, personal development, and work life balance. I had full support from my manager, including training and the right tools, while supporting Symetra Database systems.

Cons

Encourage more team building activities.

Continue the great effort of valuing each team member's feedback and contribution.

Great company

I have been working at Symetra full-time

Pros

Great pay, flexible hours, can work from home if you need. The company is growing so great chances to move up. The people and managers are all nice and treat you as a equal.

Cons

I have not run into any cons. Company is growing so many new hires but this is not always a bad thing.

supportive company

Current Employee - Project Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company. cares about the people

Cons

growing fast. so growing pains

Best company I've worked for

I have been working at Symetra

Pros

Benefits, flex hours, room for growth, great work environment, good pay, paid tuition, support, great location.

Cons

Can't think of any yet so for the company has been a pleasure to work for.

None so far I have felt very welcome, and am having a great experiance.

yuck

I worked at Symetra full-time

Pros

pay at the time was what i needed and wanted

Cons

everything about them was terrible. no worklife balance at all. no managerial structure. i would never work here again.

Great people, good work/life balance, convenient downtown Bellevue location

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people - including leadership team. Good on-boarding process and work/life balance. Convenient (and beautiful) downtown Bellevue location - close to transit center, shopping and plenty of restaurants. Some nice perks like a wellness discount program, business casual dress (jeans ok), 401k and charitable donation matching, discounts for gym/phone/travel; fair compensation and yearly bonus incentive.

Cons

It's a heavily regulated industry so some may view it as a more conservative company. Vacation/PTO offerings are average - could be better.

This is a good place to work. The people are friendly, good work/life balance, and the location is great.

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Location is great and good work/life balance. I expected the benefits to be a little better but with all the change I think they are comparable.

Cons

From what I've gathered, company morale is pretty low. I think management is trying to make it better.

The manager of my group is really trying to boost morale in our dept. Everyone says she is doing a good job and that things have gotten better. She is trying to implement the changes the staff decided on at the end of 2013.

Tax intern

I worked at Symetra

Pros

Flexible working hours. Extension of intern contract

Cons

Limited training for intern staff

Very happy to be here

Current Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have worked for several local companies and my overall experience at Symetra has been the best. While the company is not perfect, it has many things going for it including great people, excellent work/life balance, better than average benefits, a nice central location and a real passion for supporting the community through programs such as the Symetra Week of Service and Heroes in the Classroom. I am also fortunate to be working for an excellent boss and senior leadership team that I am confident in; and with a dedicated and talented team of coworkers.

Symetra, which sort of characterizes itself as being a scrappy underdog, is making a strong effort to increase its market presence and recently launched a national advertising campaign, which is very exciting. It is also making good traction in its desire to compete toe-to-toe with the market giants in our industry, such as Prudential and MetLife. Having previously worked for good companies that were either shrinking or "treading water", I also can't over emphasize how great it is to be working at one that is on the rise. While I realize not every employee would agree with me, I for one am very happy to be here.

Cons

Symetra is not a tech company nor does it pretend to be one, so if you want cutting edge technology, above market pay, lavish employee benefits/perks and 60 hour workweeks, this would not be your employer of choice. It would also not be a good fit for people who are uncomfortable with change.

While I agree with Symetra's guiding principles of VTS (Value, Transparency and Sustainability) and feel that we are doing a good job of demonstrating this concept on the customer side, we should also be consistently applying these principles internally. As a broad management team and starting with our executives, I think we can do a much better job of being transparent with our employees. I think intentions are good and have started to see things shift in a positive direction. Lets make sure to continue to build on this.