Symetra Reviews

Reset
3.1
Symetra President, CEO, and Director Thomas M. (Tom) Marra
Thomas M. (Tom) Marra

Pros
  • Tries to support work/life balance with a 38 (in 17 reviews)

• Some employees are really great people (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • I am a dedicated employee & hard worker but I'm having to watch my peers fall apart around me from overwork & lack of work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management is very out of touch with business reality, trying to make a small to medium size company into an industry giant (in 7 reviews)

Recent organizational changes are having a positive impact

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Pros

- Great people - Company is committed to growing - Flexible work environment - Heavily involved in the community - New ideas are sought out and we are trying new things again

Cons

- Some areas of the company need updating - Continue to increase employee communications - Casual dress should be increased to 5 days per week.

Advice to Management

A strategy of a growing company is exciting. Make sure to give us more details on how this will be accomplished. Recent innovations in the product group and technology departments is a positive sign of change. Other areas of the company should also look for ways to think differently.

Love the job and the people!

Current Employee - Shared Services in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Shared Services in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart, hardworking, involved employees (who don't take themselves too seriously)! My experience with management and senior management has been very positive - strive to be transparent and encourge employees to speak up. There is VERY good work-life balance at Symetra. Career mobility is supported and encouraged - discovered that 30% of all posted jobs are filled internally.

Cons

In comparison with other employers in the area, paid time off is not competetive.

Advice to Management

In order to be an employer of choice, continue to make strides in the overall benefits array and paid time off. Continue to encourage employee feedback in all areas - from products and pricing to benefits and company culture.

I like Symetra!

Current Employee - Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting, challenging work-ability to advance in career-company supports education & training - great coworkers-salary is in line with experience & position-can work flexible hours & can work from home-good benefits--growing company with opportunities for those that are interested-I've worked at a lot of places all over the country, for lots of different kinds of people & Symetra is one of the best--complainers should try working at a really bad company, then compare.

Cons

Some managers need new personalities & micromanage too much--but, I happen to love my manager, the director of my unit & the VP of my department.

Advice to Management

I think they do a pretty good job of keeping employees informed about the company and I think they are really invested in moving the company forward and growing

Very happy to be here

Current Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for several local companies and my overall experience at Symetra has been the best. While the company is not perfect, it has many things going for it including great people, excellent work/life balance, better than average benefits, a nice central location and a real passion for supporting the community through programs such as the Symetra Week of Service and Heroes in the Classroom. I am also fortunate to be working for an excellent boss and senior leadership team that I am confident in; and with a dedicated and talented team of coworkers. Symetra, which sort of characterizes itself as being a scrappy underdog, is making a strong effort to increase its market presence and recently launched a national advertising campaign, which is very exciting. It is also making good traction in its desire to compete toe-to-toe with the market giants in our industry, such as Prudential and MetLife. Having previously worked for good companies that were either shrinking or "treading water", I also can't over emphasize how great it is to be working at one that is on the rise. While I realize not every employee would agree with me, I for one am very happy to be here.

Cons

Symetra is not a tech company nor does it pretend to be one, so if you want cutting edge technology, above market pay, lavish employee benefits/perks and 60 hour workweeks, this would not be your employer of choice. It would also not be a good fit for people who are uncomfortable with change.

Advice to Management

While I agree with Symetra's guiding principles of VTS (Value, Transparency and Sustainability) and feel that we are doing a good job of demonstrating this concept on the customer side, we should also be consistently applying these principles internally. As a broad management team and starting with our executives, I think we can do a much better job of being transparent with our employees. I think intentions are good and have started to see things shift in a positive direction. Lets make sure to continue to build on this.

6. Tax intern

Pros

Flexible working hours. Extension of intern contract

Cons

Limited training for intern staff

This is a good place to work. The people are friendly, good work/life balance, and the location is great.

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location is great and good work/life balance. I expected the benefits to be a little better but with all the change I think they are comparable.

Cons

From what I've gathered, company morale is pretty low. I think management is trying to make it better.

Advice to Management

The manager of my group is really trying to boost morale in our dept. Everyone says she is doing a good job and that things have gotten better. She is trying to implement the changes the staff decided on at the end of 2013.

8. Great people, good work/life balance, convenient downtown Bellevue location

I have been working at Symetra full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people - including leadership team. Good on-boarding process and work/life balance. Convenient (and beautiful) downtown Bellevue location - close to transit center, shopping and plenty of restaurants. Some nice perks like a wellness discount program, business casual dress (jeans ok), 401k and charitable donation matching, discounts for gym/phone/travel; fair compensation and yearly bonus incentive.

Cons

It's a heavily regulated industry so some may view it as a more conservative company. Vacation/PTO offerings are average - could be better.

yuck

I worked at Symetra full-time

Pros

pay at the time was what i needed and wanted

Cons

everything about them was terrible. no worklife balance at all. no managerial structure. i would never work here again.

Best company I've worked for

Pros

Benefits, flex hours, room for growth, great work environment, good pay, paid tuition, support, great location.

Cons

Can't think of any yet so for the company has been a pleasure to work for.

Advice to Management

None so far I have felt very welcome, and am having a great experiance.

11. supportive company

Current Employee - Project Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company. cares about the people

Cons

growing fast. so growing pains

RSS Feed </> Embed