Symetra

Updated December 16, 2014
2.8

Symetra President, CEO, and Director Thomas M. (Tom) Marra
Thomas M. (Tom) Marra

Pros
  • Great friendly people to work with, reasonable work-life balance and flexibility (in 17 reviews)

• Some employees are really great people (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • I am a dedicated employee & hard worker but I'm having to watch my peers fall apart around me from overwork & lack of work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Women in upper management positions are few and far between (if they are in (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Pathetic!!

I have been working at Symetra full-time

Pros

Really do not have much to say

Cons

All these positive reviews make me laugh!!!No morale, the Leadership is not sure what they want!

Laughable - Be Aware HR is asking employees for positive reviews

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Notice that the majority of the positive reviews are done in same time frame. Current employees at the company have confirmed that HR is asking (and creating) positive reviews.

Cons

The employee centric culture is for public consumption only. High stress, long hours, layoffs and low pay. Current employees are telling me I was lucky to get out when I did. They say its only getting worse.

This can't continue. Symetra is currently the place not to work.

Dangerously bordering on abusive

Former Employee - Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be a great private company to work for until they went public and the new management came on board.

Cons

If your not wiling to suck up to new management, you WILL have trouble here. Management's ego is more important than anything else.

Have no issues with verbally abusing their employees.

They only promote their favorites and if you are not one of their favorites and aren't sucking up the chances are high of being verbally abused.

Your employees are human beings with actual lives of their own, Stop bringing on board all of your friends.

Seriously, it's THAT bad

Former Employee - Anonymous in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some employees are really great people

Cons

Company is in disarray. Many competent employees have left this place, driven out by all the silliness that passes for management and strategic direction. Seriously, it's THAT bad. The positive reviews for this Company must be fakes. Be wary of taking a job here.

Clean house, starting at the top.

Horrific

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra

Pros

Location, accessibility to other things in Bellevue

Cons

Lack of trust with management. They will shoot the messenger. Even though the CFO will ask folks to reach out, they won't because they know that they can be easily targeted to be let go. And, if they do, they can still be targeted. IT is probably the worse at this. It's all about who you know and whether you get along with them, or if you can be easily manipulated by them. If you have a spine and show "true" feelings about something that doesn't really contribute to the bottom-line and it makes it difficult for other employees, if management (including VPs and Directors) don't agree with it, you have pretty much set yourself up to fail (even if you have data to prove it). If the CFO really cares, she should reach out to some former employees who are no longer dependent on SYA to get some straight answers and truly review the exit interviews (if they even did them). When that many managers leave, as well as employees, something is definitely wrong!

Say what you mean and do what you say. Don't preach "trust" and then turn around and stab someone in the back.

at first exciting it was new - then 2 yrs in horrific

Current Employee - Insurance in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Insurance in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

close to everything and worked with some great team members and I had a wonderful manager -

Cons

Watching people who were promoted change dramatically & not in a good way. I watched someone who had been with the company 10 yrs. finally speak up re the manager to HR. Within a month this loyal hardworking employees' work "no longer met standards" - what a shock - I watched many loyal people who had been 10 - 25+ years disappear. Management also made it difficult in certain depts to staff it so the work could be within timelines. It was intentional ... You could no longer trust HR to keep concerns w/o names attached... then these employees would disappear...

Bringing in East Coast management who lives the rich person lifestyle - cannot relate - It won't be long before this company is outsourced or moved to midwest or back East. What does it say about a company when even temps say they will never accept a position if reassigned. This company does not have a good reputation on the "streets".

One of the worst

I worked at Symetra full-time

Pros

Close to bus stop, good restaurants

Cons

The IT department here is awful. 5 Development Managers have left or been asked to leave in the last year.
    If they don't get their act together soon, they will choke on there technological debt.
    The CIO has caused a deep current of mistrust within the department, The staff simply doesn't believe him anymore.
    Recently, things have become so bad, the CFO addressed the IT staff asking them to talk to her before posting anything here.
    No one will ever do that because of the IT Department upper managements' history of shooting the messenger.
    HR has asked people to post positive reviews here to try to overcome all the negatives.

Stop trying to spin things, people know better than you do how bad the situation is.

Symetra Response

Apr 11, 2014CFO

I’m sorry you had a disappointing experience at Symetra. The IT department reports to me, and I am committed to upgrading our technology and making this a company where our technology professionals ... More

Great front line people to work with. Used to be a great company to work for - not sure about the company's future.

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at Symetra full-time

Pros

Amazing and dedicated people to work with at the level where the work is actually done, and the benefits are comparable to most companies.

Cons

New executive management made drastic policy changes across the board, and replaced many long term, knowledgeable front-line managers with much less qualified managers. The company's direction changed and became less clear. With the new management, the entire culture of the company changed, and not for the better. A stated goal was to make the company 'the place to work'. It falls far short of this - taking away many flex work schedules and other employee 'perks'. Most HR reps are more concerned about the company and promoting their own agendas then the actual employees. Gross mistreatment of some employees happens with no action taken to correct, even when complaints are made.

Listen to the employees for a change. Stop getting rid of the people with the history and the knowledge to support the company. A large number of the current employees were there to build the company - many valuable resources were let go. Change HR practices to focus on employee needs when appropriate. Employees are the ones that do the work day in and day out that ultimately pays those executive salaries - show some appreciation for them.

Poor senior management and low morale

Former Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation is competitive and benefits are excellent.

Cons

No leadership or direction, poor communication, sales execs expect workers to work long hours with no recognition. Senior managers ignore complaints of sexual harassment and hostile work environment. Teamwork is discouraged, while silos are encouraged, due to the competitive nature of the stacked ranking review process.

Listen to your employees and follow through on ideas for making it a tolerable place to work.

Walk Away if you can

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Symetra part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Of course there are many great people, many that will undoubtedly leave when the local job market truly improves

Cons

50% of UM's are ineffective

75% of Managers/Directors are useless ( one of the best was let go, it's insane!)

V.P.'s - at least one is so in over her head, spinning and spinning the same issues, making one poor decision after another, easily impressed by bright shiney objects with no idea who is really doing the work and who cares about more then their own career advancement.

Look at who you have in management and evaluate their worth to the organization beyond the totally biased, ineffective, joke known as annual review calibrations.

Know who is being let go. Some strong employees have been let go while others somehow are rewarded with promotions???