Symetra Reviews

Reset
3.2
Symetra President, CEO, and Director Thomas M. (Tom) Marra
Thomas M. (Tom) Marra

Pros
  • Tries to support work/life balance with a 38 (in 17 reviews)

• Some employees are really great people (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • I am a dedicated employee & hard worker but I'm having to watch my peers fall apart around me from overwork & lack of work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management is very out of touch with business reality, trying to make a small to medium size company into an industry giant (in 7 reviews)

1. Great Company - Great Future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong leadership with well defined vision for the future. Company is maturing internal IT processes to improve operational efficiencies. Sales and Growth on track for National Player status. Solid employee development plan. Great location. Good work life balance.

Cons

2 Weeks vacation to start.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

Stable job, low range compensation, great co-workers, management not great

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mr. Marra wants to grow symetra to a national player status. Easier said than done. Pros are job stability and location. Some of the senior managers are very intelligent people that I approve of. I meet many nice people at the company and symetra has helped me overall. They also do offer quite.a bit.of training but it is only available if the work load is slow.

Cons

Good talent will leave because everyone is not treated like good talent. They advertise a great work life balance but PTO requests are not approved, overtime is pretty normal in my.department and many employees experience burnout. People that are intelligent and talented begin to leave because there are much better opportunities for them. The pay is insulting for the type of work I am doing and comparable roles make at least 20percent more. The low pay makes the morale in the department low and sad. Of course people will play favorites and all that, many managers made incompetent decisions or just plain didn't care about the employees on their teams. I do not want to speak for the whole company because every department is different and I respect that. This is a completely honest review from my personal experience. I will say I am much better off now than when I began at symetra and these are some things that dissapoint me about the role.

Advice to Management

Treat good, smart employees like good, smart employees, give people days off, respect your employees

Not good

I worked at Symetra

Pros

It had possibilities and some great people to work with who care about the company. They used to have and encouraged growth.

Cons

It's future is uncertain. There is not enough to become what they want to be and it has to be developed from the inside not bought.

Advice to Management

Find some leadership. Hire people who are concerned about the growth of all the employees. Not just their compensation

5. 2nd Best Company in the PNW

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Only beat by Microsoft, Symetra was recently ranked the 2nd best company to work for by the Seattle Times. There is an excellent work-life balance and there are many opportunities for growth and movement within the company.

Cons

As a growing company, there can be some challenges with old systems which can be frustrating and slow down your day. They are working to make improvements as they continue to grow.

Advice to Management

I would suggest making communication processes more streamlined and seamless. There are some challenges between various departments that causes delays and confusion.

6. Great Company - Family Oriented

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at Symetra (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedules Family oriented Team environment Growing 3 weeks parental leave on top of 6 weeks short term disability all paid at 100%

Cons

Benefits package is still lacking

Great team members, bad middle managment

Current Employee - Accountant II in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Accountant II in Everett, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team members! Company wide focus on service in the community. Very flexible schedule and work options. Top leadership has clear vision and ensures everyone works towards that vision. Drive to work as a team.

Cons

Middle management looses site of upper management vision. Does not do what they say they will. Loses team focus.

Advice to Management

Do what you say you will and stay focused. Stand up for your employees and do not assume an issue is always their fault before hearing the facts.

the longer you stay, the less you are paid

Current Employee - Business Analyst III in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst III in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers are amazing people to work with.

Cons

even with 7+ years of experience, they still pay people based on how visible they are and not by how well they do there job. you can do your job well for years and never make it to the mid-salary range.

Advice to Management

People dont feel valued when they remain at the bottom of the salary range, while new employees hire in at and above your salary, with less experience. I will recommend this company to a friend, as long as they dont stay past 3 or 4 years.

Going Through lots of Negative Changes

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some nice people who work here. This used to be a good company and hopefully it will be, someday in the distant future.

Cons

Many changes in personnel have led to many changes elsewhere: lots of long time employees were let go or moved on. Employees are being asked to do more, and it's not uncommon to be doing the work of two or three employees. The culture is not good, primarily because the CEO hired people from the east coast who seem convinced the long time employees didn't know what they were doing. It was tough seeing thoroughly competent employees walk out the door simply because senior management didn't want them there. Computer systems are antiquated - lots of overlapping administration systems that don't talk to each other and make it hard to provide quality customer service. Now is not the time to be considering employment at Symetra.

Advice to Management

In my opinion the damage has been done: too many quality employees have abandoned ship. You should be trying to build a quality company where employees want to work, not a hell hole where employees hate going to work.

10. Software Developer

I worked at Symetra

Pros

Good benefits and work/like balance

Cons

Mired in obsolete technology and IT processes

Just ok

I worked at Symetra

Pros

Benefits, some good colleagues, extra perks for a fairly large company, not too much overtime, encouragement to share ideas

Cons

Competitiveness that hindered productivity, pressure to fit into a mold, no mentoring or training, commute to Bellevue is awful

RSS Feed </> Embed