Symetra Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
2.7

Symetra President, CEO, and Director Thomas M. (Tom) Marra
Thomas M. (Tom) Marra

Pros
  • Great friendly people to work with, reasonable work-life balance and flexibility (in 17 reviews)

• Some employees are really great people (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • I am a dedicated employee & hard worker but I'm having to watch my peers fall apart around me from overwork & lack of work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Women in upper management positions are few and far between (if they are in (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Laughable - Be Aware HR is asking employees for positive reviews

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Notice that the majority of the positive reviews are done in same time frame. Current employees at the company have confirmed that HR is asking (and creating) positive reviews.

Cons

The employee centric culture is for public consumption only. High stress, long hours, layoffs and low pay. Current employees are telling me I was lucky to get out when I did. They say its only getting worse.

This can't continue. Symetra is currently the place not to work.

Change in management caused many problems.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Home office had a great team of customer service reps who worked together before Symetra went public and hired new CEO. Then management decided that customer service was an expense that needed to be drastically cut back. The ensuing fall out there decimated the department. There were many good people here before the change in management. I don't know how many are left, certainly not me.

Cons

Hiring a bunch of sales reps to grow the company and making every other department pay for that growth by overworking and underpaying them. We had one year of no raises during the recession, then small raises afterwards, then pay cuts to reduce the "expense" of customer service. Without CSRs explaining things to customers, Symetra would have lost a lot of policies sold by number hunger sales reps.

Think about all of your employees, not just the number driven sales reps who bring in the business any way they can.
    For the manager who said she like to help people advance, look at all of your employees, not just your friends whom you brought on board.

management bias towards their friends

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good group of hardworking folks at the bottom tier; standard benefits package; good downtown location in Bellevue;

Cons

you get promoted super fast if you have the right connections to upper mgmt. For example, in order to promote an inexperienced manager with connection to become a finance director, they forced out a knowledgeable director. There are no more diversity in the management group. They are now 100% white female only. If you are a pretty blonde female, you will do very well in the Finance org. If you are not, you are better off working for another company. Also, the only way that you will get a raise here is when you submit your two-weeks notice - that's when they went into panic mode & try to match what your new company pays you.

promote employees based on qualifications, not based on connections or physical appreances

The experience at Symetra provided me with valuable knowledge and skills to successfully advance my IT career.

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Bellevue, NE
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Bellevue, NE

I worked at Symetra full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pros of working at Symetra include but not limited to: Team effort, management support, personal development, and work life balance. I had full support from my manager, including training and the right tools, while supporting Symetra Database systems.

Cons

Encourage more team building activities.

Continue the great effort of valuing each team member's feedback and contribution.

Great Benefits, Inconsistent Employee Development

Current Employee - Contracts and Licensing Coordinator in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Contracts and Licensing Coordinator in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits are great, with 3 options to choose from for medical. You have your choice of a transit pass for $8 taken out of every paycheck, or a parking pass for around $60 a paycheck. Tries to support work/life balance with a 38.75hr work week. Business casual dress code--most people wear jeans.

Cons

Training is sub-par and seems to be an after thought with much of the management. Advancement is not consistent with seniority or meritocracy; it is at the whim of the management as to who will progress and who will stay behind.

Get rid of the problem employees faster than you have or haven't in the past. It would also be nice if management would take the time to learn exactly what it is that the other employees do so as to provide better support.

Needs real managers, quiet job

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Symetra full-time

Pros

Great benefits, some nice people, quiet, had been friendly for the most part. Pay is decent but needs to give raises more. Lots of vacation time if you stick around. I've worked in multiple departments which is a nice option.

Cons

Poor communication, people are scared to speak up. Low morale lately. Positive for several years until new management was hired. Good ole boys club and surprisingly sexist. Bad communications and resistant to change. Monthly expense report approval takes too long because management ignores our requests. I was able to find better job but this one was okay to get by.

Respect your employees and consider everyone part of the team, not just upper management. Treat employees like adults instead of micromanaging them like children. Trust them or fire them, don't just hover. Hire managers with managerial experience or give courses to new hires. Stop micromanaging. Help keep work life balance for families.

Great company

I have been working at Symetra full-time

Pros

Great pay, flexible hours, can work from home if you need. The company is growing so great chances to move up. The people and managers are all nice and treat you as a equal.

Cons

I have not run into any cons. Company is growing so many new hires but this is not always a bad thing.

Great place to work, flexible work environment.

Current Employee - Case Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Management is very flexible about working with your personal schedule, employees work many different shifts. Several product lines to work within. Good benefits, good compensation, great location, and currently improving dated feel of facilities. Company growing at a good rate, many chances for advancement. Current CEO doing a great job growing the all product lines. Good mix of experienced employees and new-comers.

Cons

Working with life insurance, annuities, or benefits can be tedious at times. Currently shifting some operations and consolidating physical size of departments (smaller work spaces).

Would advise against future vacation freezes.

supportive company

Current Employee - Project Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company. cares about the people

Cons

growing fast. so growing pains

My summer sales internship at Symetra was insightful!

Former Employee - Sales Intern in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Intern in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good experiences from projects under management
    Ability to see and learn about roles across business units

Cons

Micromanagement
    Poor organization at times with colleagues and meetings

Continue to place large projectile leads on newcomers!