Symetra

Updated December 16, 2014
2.8

Symetra President, CEO, and Director Thomas M. (Tom) Marra
Thomas M. (Tom) Marra

Pros
  • Great friendly people to work with, reasonable work-life balance and flexibility (in 17 reviews)

• Some employees are really great people (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • I am a dedicated employee & hard worker but I'm having to watch my peers fall apart around me from overwork & lack of work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Women in upper management positions are few and far between (if they are in (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Needs real managers, quiet job

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Symetra full-time

Pros

Great benefits, some nice people, quiet, had been friendly for the most part. Pay is decent but needs to give raises more. Lots of vacation time if you stick around. I've worked in multiple departments which is a nice option.

Cons

Poor communication, people are scared to speak up. Low morale lately. Positive for several years until new management was hired. Good ole boys club and surprisingly sexist. Bad communications and resistant to change. Monthly expense report approval takes too long because management ignores our requests. I was able to find better job but this one was okay to get by.

Respect your employees and consider everyone part of the team, not just upper management. Treat employees like adults instead of micromanaging them like children. Trust them or fire them, don't just hover. Hire managers with managerial experience or give courses to new hires. Stop micromanaging. Help keep work life balance for families.

Great company

I have been working at Symetra full-time

Pros

Great pay, flexible hours, can work from home if you need. The company is growing so great chances to move up. The people and managers are all nice and treat you as a equal.

Cons

I have not run into any cons. Company is growing so many new hires but this is not always a bad thing.

Great place to work, flexible work environment.

Current Employee - Case Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Management is very flexible about working with your personal schedule, employees work many different shifts. Several product lines to work within. Good benefits, good compensation, great location, and currently improving dated feel of facilities. Company growing at a good rate, many chances for advancement. Current CEO doing a great job growing the all product lines. Good mix of experienced employees and new-comers.

Cons

Working with life insurance, annuities, or benefits can be tedious at times. Currently shifting some operations and consolidating physical size of departments (smaller work spaces).

Would advise against future vacation freezes.

supportive company

Current Employee - Project Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company. cares about the people

Cons

growing fast. so growing pains

My summer sales internship at Symetra was insightful!

Former Employee - Sales Intern in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Intern in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good experiences from projects under management
    Ability to see and learn about roles across business units

Cons

Micromanagement
    Poor organization at times with colleagues and meetings

Continue to place large projectile leads on newcomers!

Dangerously bordering on abusive

Former Employee - Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be a great private company to work for until they went public and the new management came on board.

Cons

If your not wiling to suck up to new management, you WILL have trouble here. Management's ego is more important than anything else.

Have no issues with verbally abusing their employees.

They only promote their favorites and if you are not one of their favorites and aren't sucking up the chances are high of being verbally abused.

Your employees are human beings with actual lives of their own, Stop bringing on board all of your friends.

Best company I've worked for

I have been working at Symetra

Pros

Benefits, flex hours, room for growth, great work environment, good pay, paid tuition, support, great location.

Cons

Can't think of any yet so for the company has been a pleasure to work for.

None so far I have felt very welcome, and am having a great experiance.

Big company culture, small company - NOT a good mix

I have been working at Symetra full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hours are good, flexible.
    Pay is competitive.
    People are very nice, for the most part.

Cons

This company has absolutely no sense of direction or purpose. They have no idea what their target market is and try to sell everything to everyone. As a result, they have no expertise in any market space.
    They have recently been bringing in management from very large corporations, along with all of the political intrigue and backstabbing that goes along with it.
    High level managers are being assigned to head areas of the company for which they are not suited by expertise, education or training.
    When I came here from a large corporate atmosphere, a small company like this was a breath of fresh air. With all the recent changes and lack of direction, the air is not nearly as fresh as it used to be.

Pick a market space that you want to be in, and be good at it. Focus!!!
    Don't bring in "friends" from other large companies simply because they are from a large company. Large does not always equal better.
    Upper level management really should have some idea of what their people do, since at some point they will be called on the make decisions which affect the workers. It'd be nice if they actually knew what they were talking about.
    LISTEN to your employees instead of just nodding your head and telling them what you think they want to hear. Wars are not won by generals. They are won by the professional soldiers. Whose opinion should you trust more?

Seriously, it's THAT bad

Former Employee - Anonymous in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some employees are really great people

Cons

Company is in disarray. Many competent employees have left this place, driven out by all the silliness that passes for management and strategic direction. Seriously, it's THAT bad. The positive reviews for this Company must be fakes. Be wary of taking a job here.

Clean house, starting at the top.

Lots of turnover, Lots of drama, Not worth it

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Next to Bellevue Transit Center, so you don't have to wait too long for a bus. Nice coworkers. Work schedules have some flexibility.

Cons

Lots of turnover, so its difficult to find people that can help you with customer questions. Service goals are very tough to reach.

Make it a less stressful place to work. Service rep jobs at other companies aren't this bad.