Symetra Reviews

Updated September 2, 2014
2.7

Symetra President, CEO, and Director Thomas M. (Tom) Marra
Thomas M. (Tom) Marra

Pros
  • Work-Life Balance reasonable in terms of number of hours worked ( (in 14 reviews)

• Great people - including leadership team (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • encourages a work/life balance but then punishes you for trying to have one (in 6 reviews)

• Women in upper management positions are few and far between (if they are in (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

One of the worst

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time

Pros

Close to bus stop, good restaurants

Cons

The IT department here is awful. 5 Development Managers have left or been asked to leave in the last year.
    If they don't get their act together soon, they will choke on there technological debt.
    The CIO has caused a deep current of mistrust within the department, The staff simply doesn't believe him anymore.
    Recently, things have become so bad, the CFO addressed the IT staff asking them to talk to her before posting anything here.
    No one will ever do that because of the IT Department upper managements' history of shooting the messenger.
    HR has asked people to post positive reviews here to try to overcome all the negatives.

Stop trying to spin things, people know better than you do how bad the situation is.

Symetra Response

Apr 11, 2014CFO

I’m sorry you had a disappointing experience at Symetra. The IT department reports to me, and I am committed to upgrading our technology and making this a company where our technology professionals ... More

Not what I signed up for

I have been working at Symetra full-time for more than a year

Pros

decent benefits, most locations have WFH options, middle management is made up of good, hard working people

Cons

senior leaderships is vague and not held accountable, IT resources are very outdated, each location seems like a separate entity-not all following the same policies/rules.

listen to employees. spend money where it is needed and not on sales incentives...bigger/better servers & bandwidth, encourage telecommuting in the field, lease reasonable sized space and combine locations. walk the talk and live the messages you try to promote

Overworked employees and inexperience managers

I worked at Symetra full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice location, dedicated people, benefits, flexible hours

Cons

salary, parking cost, inexperience managers, and lack of team work in departments. Employees leave and they don't fill the position.

hire some real workers not dictators.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great front line people to work with. Used to be a great company to work for - not sure about the company's future.

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at Symetra full-time

Pros

Amazing and dedicated people to work with at the level where the work is actually done, and the benefits are comparable to most companies.

Cons

New executive management made drastic policy changes across the board, and replaced many long term, knowledgeable front-line managers with much less qualified managers. The company's direction changed and became less clear. With the new management, the entire culture of the company changed, and not for the better. A stated goal was to make the company 'the place to work'. It falls far short of this - taking away many flex work schedules and other employee 'perks'. Most HR reps are more concerned about the company and promoting their own agendas then the actual employees. Gross mistreatment of some employees happens with no action taken to correct, even when complaints are made.

Listen to the employees for a change. Stop getting rid of the people with the history and the knowledge to support the company. A large number of the current employees were there to build the company - many valuable resources were let go. Change HR practices to focus on employee needs when appropriate. Employees are the ones that do the work day in and day out that ultimately pays those executive salaries - show some appreciation for them.

Poor senior management and low morale

Former Employee - Manager  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation is competitive and benefits are excellent.

Cons

No leadership or direction, poor communication, sales execs expect workers to work long hours with no recognition. Senior managers ignore complaints of sexual harassment and hostile work environment. Teamwork is discouraged, while silos are encouraged, due to the competitive nature of the stacked ranking review process.

Listen to your employees and follow through on ideas for making it a tolerable place to work.

Great people with trust issues

Former Employee - Management  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Management in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time

Pros

Working with people who are smart, resourceful and just plain nice. Good work / life balance.

Cons

Management goals and actions did not always align, and little communication of why the change in direction. Worker bees didn't trust their management in multiple areas of the company.

Communicate and be as honest as you can. Stick to the rules of engagement you set out that you want everyone to follow.

Personally, I am very happy at Symetra but I do understand why others may not be.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Energy, attitude, and collaboration drive me to be passionate about my work and I am encouraged and empowered by my manager to contribute at the level I want. I think the work/life balance exists and the people I work with on a daily basis are talented, hardworking and dedicated. They make my job as a manager easier and I don't feel stifled in finding new ways to reward them and create a more positive working environment (read: offsites and other team building activities).

Cons

As part of a high performing team, we are lean and sometimes I feel like I have to fight a little too hard to reward my people and obtain additional resources. The performance review system needs a complete overhaul but I think this is finally getting some much needed attention. In the meantime, I plan to make liberal use of Symetra's generous spot bonus program to recognize my stars--of which there are many.

Take a real position to improve morale; no more employee surveys. Just walk around and talk to people. Learn more names, shake more hands, pat more backs and get to know the people who act like owners, but aren't. You have a huge talent pool within Symetra. Find these people and personally listen to what they have to say. They, like me, are vested in this company and know that it has the makings to be a great place to work.

Tax intern

I worked at Symetra

Pros

Flexible working hours. Extension of intern contract

Cons

Limited training for intern staff

Walk Away if you can

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Symetra part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Of course there are many great people, many that will undoubtedly leave when the local job market truly improves

Cons

50% of UM's are ineffective

75% of Managers/Directors are useless ( one of the best was let go, it's insane!)

V.P.'s - at least one is so in over her head, spinning and spinning the same issues, making one poor decision after another, easily impressed by bright shiney objects with no idea who is really doing the work and who cares about more then their own career advancement.

Look at who you have in management and evaluate their worth to the organization beyond the totally biased, ineffective, joke known as annual review calibrations.

Know who is being let go. Some strong employees have been let go while others somehow are rewarded with promotions???

Symetra is in the dark ages. Upper level management has no saavy and is clueless about how to market in our digital age.

I worked at Symetra full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance. Very little over-time. Great benefits (6% matching 401K). The company really emphasizes employee volunteerism.

Cons

Horrible morale. 50% of the people in my department hated their jobs due to poor management. Managers have no backbone and aren't willing to stick up for their employees.

There are a lot of smart, talented people with great ideas working in positions beneath you. Listen to them!

Worked for Symetra? Contribute to the Community!