Symetra Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
2.7

Symetra President, CEO, and Director Thomas M. (Tom) Marra
Thomas M. (Tom) Marra

Pros
  • Great friendly people to work with, reasonable work-life balance and flexibility (in 17 reviews)

• Some employees are really great people (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • I am a dedicated employee & hard worker but I'm having to watch my peers fall apart around me from overwork & lack of work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Women in upper management positions are few and far between (if they are in (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Surprised!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was not sure of what to expect when I joined.
    I feel empowered to make changes. My management listens to me and lets me run with my ideas.
    Location is great - lunch time options are plenty.

Cons

There are people from old school, resistant to change. Office views are great but indoor space feels a little dated. Could invest in some new carpets.

Continue to support and recognize employees and their good work.

Great Learning Experience

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative IV in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative IV in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great and overtime pay was good. Nice location, lots of happy hour choices nearby.

Cons

Management is very cliquey, promoting those within their circle before others. Difficult to move up beyond your immediate department. Cost for parking was astronomical. Lots of overtime.

employee moral is rolling downhill

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Location, and great co-workers

Cons

Many managers show favoritism to friends. Employees are asked to take risks to try to grow in their positions, but if a mistake occurs, they are then "targeted" until they get discouraged and quit. This behavior is from the top down.

Support your employees to help them grow and learn.

They're trying

Current Employee - New Business Support in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - New Business Support in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company is currently growing rapidly

Cons

1 year position policy before you can move around

Horrific

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra

Pros

Location, accessibility to other things in Bellevue

Cons

Lack of trust with management. They will shoot the messenger. Even though the CFO will ask folks to reach out, they won't because they know that they can be easily targeted to be let go. And, if they do, they can still be targeted. IT is probably the worse at this. It's all about who you know and whether you get along with them, or if you can be easily manipulated by them. If you have a spine and show "true" feelings about something that doesn't really contribute to the bottom-line and it makes it difficult for other employees, if management (including VPs and Directors) don't agree with it, you have pretty much set yourself up to fail (even if you have data to prove it). If the CFO really cares, she should reach out to some former employees who are no longer dependent on SYA to get some straight answers and truly review the exit interviews (if they even did them). When that many managers leave, as well as employees, something is definitely wrong!

Say what you mean and do what you say. Don't preach "trust" and then turn around and stab someone in the back.

at first exciting it was new - then 2 yrs in horrific

Current Employee - Insurance in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Insurance in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

close to everything and worked with some great team members and I had a wonderful manager -

Cons

Watching people who were promoted change dramatically & not in a good way. I watched someone who had been with the company 10 yrs. finally speak up re the manager to HR. Within a month this loyal hardworking employees' work "no longer met standards" - what a shock - I watched many loyal people who had been 10 - 25+ years disappear. Management also made it difficult in certain depts to staff it so the work could be within timelines. It was intentional ... You could no longer trust HR to keep concerns w/o names attached... then these employees would disappear...

Bringing in East Coast management who lives the rich person lifestyle - cannot relate - It won't be long before this company is outsourced or moved to midwest or back East. What does it say about a company when even temps say they will never accept a position if reassigned. This company does not have a good reputation on the "streets".

One of the worst

I worked at Symetra full-time

Pros

Close to bus stop, good restaurants

Cons

The IT department here is awful. 5 Development Managers have left or been asked to leave in the last year.
    If they don't get their act together soon, they will choke on there technological debt.
    The CIO has caused a deep current of mistrust within the department, The staff simply doesn't believe him anymore.
    Recently, things have become so bad, the CFO addressed the IT staff asking them to talk to her before posting anything here.
    No one will ever do that because of the IT Department upper managements' history of shooting the messenger.
    HR has asked people to post positive reviews here to try to overcome all the negatives.

Stop trying to spin things, people know better than you do how bad the situation is.

Symetra Response

Apr 11, 2014CFO

I’m sorry you had a disappointing experience at Symetra. The IT department reports to me, and I am committed to upgrading our technology and making this a company where our technology professionals ... More

Not what I signed up for

I have been working at Symetra full-time (more than an year)

Pros

decent benefits, most locations have WFH options, middle management is made up of good, hard working people

Cons

senior leaderships is vague and not held accountable, IT resources are very outdated, each location seems like a separate entity-not all following the same policies/rules.

listen to employees. spend money where it is needed and not on sales incentives...bigger/better servers & bandwidth, encourage telecommuting in the field, lease reasonable sized space and combine locations. walk the talk and live the messages you try to promote

Overworked employees and inexperience managers

I worked at Symetra full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice location, dedicated people, benefits, flexible hours

Cons

salary, parking cost, inexperience managers, and lack of team work in departments. Employees leave and they don't fill the position.

hire some real workers not dictators.

Great front line people to work with. Used to be a great company to work for - not sure about the company's future.

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at Symetra full-time

Pros

Amazing and dedicated people to work with at the level where the work is actually done, and the benefits are comparable to most companies.

Cons

New executive management made drastic policy changes across the board, and replaced many long term, knowledgeable front-line managers with much less qualified managers. The company's direction changed and became less clear. With the new management, the entire culture of the company changed, and not for the better. A stated goal was to make the company 'the place to work'. It falls far short of this - taking away many flex work schedules and other employee 'perks'. Most HR reps are more concerned about the company and promoting their own agendas then the actual employees. Gross mistreatment of some employees happens with no action taken to correct, even when complaints are made.

Listen to the employees for a change. Stop getting rid of the people with the history and the knowledge to support the company. A large number of the current employees were there to build the company - many valuable resources were let go. Change HR practices to focus on employee needs when appropriate. Employees are the ones that do the work day in and day out that ultimately pays those executive salaries - show some appreciation for them.