Symetra

Updated November 3, 2014
2.7

Symetra President, CEO, and Director Thomas M. (Tom) Marra
Thomas M. (Tom) Marra

Pros
  • Great friendly people to work with, reasonable work-life balance and flexibility (in 17 reviews)

• Some employees are really great people (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • I am a dedicated employee & hard worker but I'm having to watch my peers fall apart around me from overwork & lack of work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Women in upper management positions are few and far between (if they are in (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice people but poor management after turnover in 2010.

I worked at Symetra full-time

Pros

People and location are nice.

Cons

Management appear untrained in soft skills and mentoring. Quality is not as important as meeting the timeframes.

Horrific

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra

Pros

Location, accessibility to other things in Bellevue

Cons

Lack of trust with management. They will shoot the messenger. Even though the CFO will ask folks to reach out, they won't because they know that they can be easily targeted to be let go. And, if they do, they can still be targeted. IT is probably the worse at this. It's all about who you know and whether you get along with them, or if you can be easily manipulated by them. If you have a spine and show "true" feelings about something that doesn't really contribute to the bottom-line and it makes it difficult for other employees, if management (including VPs and Directors) don't agree with it, you have pretty much set yourself up to fail (even if you have data to prove it). If the CFO really cares, she should reach out to some former employees who are no longer dependent on SYA to get some straight answers and truly review the exit interviews (if they even did them). When that many managers leave, as well as employees, something is definitely wrong!

Say what you mean and do what you say. Don't preach "trust" and then turn around and stab someone in the back.

Industry veteran still growing in marketplace.

I have been working at Symetra full-time

Pros

Benefits, hours, location, jeans dress code, great people, community involvement, bonus opportunity, recognition program, mentorship ops from employees in industry 15+ years. Hard work and leading by example are rewarded. Industry training, Engagement and personal development are a priority here.

Cons

Expensive parking, Management communication, Culture in flux, Some veteran employees mentality of entitlement and resistance to change affects culture and morale.

Keep listening to employees. Invest in manager "leadership" training including 1:1 coaching in departments with the most negative feedback. Budget for more Team building in each work group. Monitor and eliminate nepotism in work groups. Eliminate stack ranking of any kind.

This is a good place to work. The people are friendly, good work/life balance, and the location is great.

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Location is great and good work/life balance. I expected the benefits to be a little better but with all the change I think they are comparable.

Cons

From what I've gathered, company morale is pretty low. I think management is trying to make it better.

The manager of my group is really trying to boost morale in our dept. Everyone says she is doing a good job and that things have gotten better. She is trying to implement the changes the staff decided on at the end of 2013.

at first exciting it was new - then 2 yrs in horrific

Current Employee - Insurance in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Insurance in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

close to everything and worked with some great team members and I had a wonderful manager -

Cons

Watching people who were promoted change dramatically & not in a good way. I watched someone who had been with the company 10 yrs. finally speak up re the manager to HR. Within a month this loyal hardworking employees' work "no longer met standards" - what a shock - I watched many loyal people who had been 10 - 25+ years disappear. Management also made it difficult in certain depts to staff it so the work could be within timelines. It was intentional ... You could no longer trust HR to keep concerns w/o names attached... then these employees would disappear...

Bringing in East Coast management who lives the rich person lifestyle - cannot relate - It won't be long before this company is outsourced or moved to midwest or back East. What does it say about a company when even temps say they will never accept a position if reassigned. This company does not have a good reputation on the "streets".

employee moral is rolling downhill

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Location, and great co-workers

Cons

Many managers show favoritism to friends. Employees are asked to take risks to try to grow in their positions, but if a mistake occurs, they are then "targeted" until they get discouraged and quit. This behavior is from the top down.

Support your employees to help them grow and learn.

Surprised!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was not sure of what to expect when I joined.
    I feel empowered to make changes. My management listens to me and lets me run with my ideas.
    Location is great - lunch time options are plenty.

Cons

There are people from old school, resistant to change. Office views are great but indoor space feels a little dated. Could invest in some new carpets.

Continue to support and recognize employees and their good work.

Great Learning Experience

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative IV in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative IV in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great and overtime pay was good. Nice location, lots of happy hour choices nearby.

Cons

Management is very cliquey, promoting those within their circle before others. Difficult to move up beyond your immediate department. Cost for parking was astronomical. Lots of overtime.

One of the worst

I worked at Symetra full-time

Pros

Close to bus stop, good restaurants

Cons

The IT department here is awful. 5 Development Managers have left or been asked to leave in the last year.
    If they don't get their act together soon, they will choke on there technological debt.
    The CIO has caused a deep current of mistrust within the department, The staff simply doesn't believe him anymore.
    Recently, things have become so bad, the CFO addressed the IT staff asking them to talk to her before posting anything here.
    No one will ever do that because of the IT Department upper managements' history of shooting the messenger.
    HR has asked people to post positive reviews here to try to overcome all the negatives.

Stop trying to spin things, people know better than you do how bad the situation is.

Symetra Response

Apr 11, 2014CFO

I’m sorry you had a disappointing experience at Symetra. The IT department reports to me, and I am committed to upgrading our technology and making this a company where our technology professionals ... More

Not what I signed up for

I have been working at Symetra full-time (more than an year)

Pros

decent benefits, most locations have WFH options, middle management is made up of good, hard working people

Cons

senior leaderships is vague and not held accountable, IT resources are very outdated, each location seems like a separate entity-not all following the same policies/rules.

listen to employees. spend money where it is needed and not on sales incentives...bigger/better servers & bandwidth, encourage telecommuting in the field, lease reasonable sized space and combine locations. walk the talk and live the messages you try to promote