Symetra

Updated August 15, 2014

2.8

Symetra President, CEO, and Director Thomas M. (Tom) Marra
Thomas M. (Tom) Marra

Pros
  • Work-Life Balance reasonable in terms of number of hours worked ( (in 14 reviews)

• Great people - including leadership team (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • encourages a work/life balance but then punishes you for trying to have one (in 6 reviews)

• Women in upper management positions are few and far between (if they are in (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Overworked employees and inexperience managers

Pros

Nice location, dedicated people, benefits, flexible hours

Cons

salary, parking cost, inexperience managers, and lack of team work in departments. Employees leave and they don't fill the position.

hire some real workers not dictators.

Poor senior management and low morale

Former Employee - Manager  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Compensation is competitive and benefits are excellent.

Cons

No leadership or direction, poor communication, sales execs expect workers to work long hours with no recognition. Senior managers ignore complaints of sexual harassment and hostile work environment. Teamwork is discouraged, while silos are encouraged, due to the competitive nature of the stacked ranking review process.

Listen to your employees and follow through on ideas for making it a tolerable place to work.

Great people with trust issues

Former Employee - Management  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Management in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Working with people who are smart, resourceful and just plain nice. Good work / life balance.

Cons

Management goals and actions did not always align, and little communication of why the change in direction. Worker bees didn't trust their management in multiple areas of the company.

Communicate and be as honest as you can. Stick to the rules of engagement you set out that you want everyone to follow.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tax intern

Pros

Flexible working hours. Extension of intern contract

Cons

Limited training for intern staff

Walk Away if you can

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

Pros

Of course there are many great people, many that will undoubtedly leave when the local job market truly improves

Cons

50% of UM's are ineffective

75% of Managers/Directors are useless ( one of the best was let go, it's insane!)

V.P.'s - at least one is so in over her head, spinning and spinning the same issues, making one poor decision after another, easily impressed by bright shiney objects with no idea who is really doing the work and who cares about more then their own career advancement.

Look at who you have in management and evaluate their worth to the organization beyond the totally biased, ineffective, joke known as annual review calibrations.

Know who is being let go. Some strong employees have been let go while others somehow are rewarded with promotions???

Personally, I am very happy at Symetra but I do understand why others may not be.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Energy, attitude, and collaboration drive me to be passionate about my work and I am encouraged and empowered by my manager to contribute at the level I want. I think the work/life balance exists and the people I work with on a daily basis are talented, hardworking and dedicated. They make my job as a manager easier and I don't feel stifled in finding new ways to reward them and create a more positive working environment (read: offsites and other team building activities).

Cons

As part of a high performing team, we are lean and sometimes I feel like I have to fight a little too hard to reward my people and obtain additional resources. The performance review system needs a complete overhaul but I think this is finally getting some much needed attention. In the meantime, I plan to make liberal use of Symetra's generous spot bonus program to recognize my stars--of which there are many.

Take a real position to improve morale; no more employee surveys. Just walk around and talk to people. Learn more names, shake more hands, pat more backs and get to know the people who act like owners, but aren't. You have a huge talent pool within Symetra. Find these people and personally listen to what they have to say. They, like me, are vested in this company and know that it has the makings to be a great place to work.

Sad State of Affairs

Pros

Can't think of any at this time. It used to be the people, but so many of the good ones have left!

Cons

It's sad when senior management has to ask people to write positive reviews for the company. That only shows how desperate the company is and that lack of integrity the company has. Senior management is responsible to help with morale and so they should listen to the folks who have left the company, if they even took the time to speak and listen to them. Some folks have left for the normal reasons (retirement, etc.); others have made up reasons (i.e. retiring when they are really not or supposedly a better offer). The most worrisome, some folks have been asked to leave that were some of the brightest the company had because the company either wants to continue to stay out of touch or just didn't want to deal with what is staring at them.

Also, you really can't trust HR -- they are loyal to the company, period.

Live up to your stated values -- value the folks that are truly invested in the company and not willing to play politics just to keep their job -- it's a tougher stance, but in the long run, one that will serve the company well. Don't pretend to care about the employee when you really don't.

Symetra is in the dark ages. Upper level management has no saavy and is clueless about how to market in our digital age.

Pros

Good work/life balance. Very little over-time. Great benefits (6% matching 401K). The company really emphasizes employee volunteerism.

Cons

Horrible morale. 50% of the people in my department hated their jobs due to poor management. Managers have no backbone and aren't willing to stick up for their employees.

There are a lot of smart, talented people with great ideas working in positions beneath you. Listen to them!

Company lacking an identity.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Flexible work arrangements and nice people

Cons

Pay, Senior Management, Lack of long term potential

Figure out what the long term strategy should be and focus on the things you do well.

Very happy to be here

Current Employee - Manager  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA

Pros

I have worked for several local companies and my overall experience at Symetra has been the best. While the company is not perfect, it has many things going for it including great people, excellent work/life balance, better than average benefits, a nice central location and a real passion for supporting the community through programs such as the Symetra Week of Service and Heroes in the Classroom. I am also fortunate to be working for an excellent boss and senior leadership team that I am confident in; and with a dedicated and talented team of coworkers.

Symetra, which sort of characterizes itself as being a scrappy underdog, is making a strong effort to increase its market presence and recently launched a national advertising campaign, which is very exciting. It is also making good traction in its desire to compete toe-to-toe with the market giants in our industry, such as Prudential and MetLife. Having previously worked for good companies that were either shrinking or "treading water", I also can't over emphasize how great it is to be working at one that is on the rise. While I realize not every employee would agree with me, I for one am very happy to be here.

Cons

Symetra is not a tech company nor does it pretend to be one, so if you want cutting edge technology, above market pay, lavish employee benefits/perks and 60 hour workweeks, this would not be your employer of choice. It would also not be a good fit for people who are uncomfortable with change.

While I agree with Symetra's guiding principles of VTS (Value, Transparency and Sustainability) and feel that we are doing a good job of demonstrating this concept on the customer side, we should also be consistently applying these principles internally. As a broad management team and starting with our executives, I think we can do a much better job of being transparent with our employees. I think intentions are good and have started to see things shift in a positive direction. Lets make sure to continue to build on this.

Worked for Symetra? Contribute to the Community!