Symetra

Symetra Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Symetra President, CEO, and Director Thomas M. (Tom) Marra

Thomas M. (Tom) Marra

Pros
  • Work-Life Balance reasonable in terms of number of hours worked ( (in 14 reviews)

• Great people - including leadership team (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • encourages a work/life balance but then punishes you for trying to have one (in 6 reviews)

• Women in upper management positions are few and far between (if they are in (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

I like Symetra!

Analyst (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsInteresting, challenging work-ability to advance in career-company supports education & training - great coworkers-salary is in line with experience & position-can work flexible hours & can work from home-good benefits--growing company with opportunities for those that are interested-I've worked at a lot of places all over the country, for lots of different kinds of people & Symetra is one of the best--complainers should try working at a really bad company, then compare.

ConsSome managers need new personalities & micromanage too much--but, I happen to love my manager, the director of my unit & the VP of my department.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think they do a pretty good job of keeping employees informed about the company and I think they are really invested in moving the company forward and growing

VP CMO

Vice President CMO (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Prosworking with teams to create a value prop and hit the strategic objective

Consleadership is weak, expect to work independently

Advice to Senior Managementtalk to the team

Mostly good intentions but much mis-guidance

Manager (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsThere is potential if more effort is made to understand who is really adding value and acknowledging this.

ConsDirectors range from controlling egomaniacs to well intended but not too bright.
    Shamefully out of touch V.P.s
    Credit not given where credit is due
    Unrealistic expectations with current infrastructure
    Gross favortism

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow who is doing the work, has the ideas, producing results

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Caution: worst place on earth

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsThere was nothing good about this company. Once the new CEO came on board (Marra) after they "suggested" Randy resign, the place went down hill quick

Consmanagement is all about self. Salaries got decreased over and over again, incentives were taken away and manager giving reviews was horrible

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN to your employees... Care about them and quite running a minimum wage sweat shop

Not the same

Manager (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsExciting opportunities to grow & learn more

ConsUneven work expectations across organization, trending like most financial services firms - excessive work hours and pressure to meet deadlines

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat staff at all levels with respect; engage them and their ideas to encourage a sense of team

Poor leadership

Director (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsSmaller company with some excellent workers

ConsPoor IT Leadership from the CIO down

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people... business needs to drive technology.

A good company no longer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people - knowledgeable, caring, customer focused individuals. They are the best the company has to offer. In my years there, I have felt that there was true team spirit, always wanting to do the best for the products and services.

ConsThe new philosophy, management including HR which is not behind the employees have dragged this company down. The layoffs of knowledgeable employees, most of whom were with the company for many years, has not been encouraging, and has brought morale way down. It's been pretty obvious that the long-term employees have been targeted by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the management is beyond advice.

It's not the place to be.

ProsGood location.
    The building looks great from the outside.
    My coworkers are nice, hard-working people.
    There's an annual bonus based on performance.

ConsPeople are leaving and there positions aren't being filled again due to budget contraints. That leaves the rest of us to not only do our own jobs, but to pick up the slack of the lucky ones who left. If you get promoted to a new position, you'll be expected to continue helping out in your old position for an indefinite amount of time. They don't even give you the courtesy of asking if you'd like to help out.

The pay is absolutely terrible. The cost of living continues to increase, yet we do not get cost of living increases in our wages. Many of my coworkers are having trouble paying rent, utilities, etc.

Two weeks of vacation time is given when you start your career here. Good luck getting any time off though. My department, like most has a rule that if one person has the day off then no one else can take that same day. Meanwhile, you will hear upper management bragging about their 3rd trip to Hawaii or how they are going to jet off to California for a long weekend. Oh, and working the day after Christmas was just awesome. Thanks for that.

Career development doesn't exist. Oh yes, they make us fill out a development plan every year just to appease HR, however we are all too busy to devote any time to actually accomplishing anything on that plan.

The place is run down. Again, I'm sure to budget contraints. But seriously, can I please have a chair where the wheels aren't falling off?

Real communication doesn't exist. I want to know what's happening in those conference rooms with the closed doors. All the whispering drives me crazy.

Technology needs an upgrade. Also, one computer monitor! Really? It's archaeic, enough said.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like you would want to be treated. You can tell us that you appreciate all of our hard work as much as you want, but your actions show us the opposite is true. Make it a goal to get on Fortune Magazine's 100 top places to work for. Happy employees generate more sales, better customer service and more productivity. Concentrate less on making Symetra "the place to be" because so far, that approach isn't working. I wake up every day and literally feel sick that I have to go to work.

Yikes!

I T Professional (Current Employee)

ProsWork-Life Balance reasonable in terms of number of hours worked (<45)
    Employees are generally very nice people
    Nice building and location

ConsLack of employee recognition - every team is in it for themselves = unhealthy competition
    No motivation - managers even seem unhappy and know that something is NOT working here
    Lack of consistent processes & documentation
    Technology is outdated
    Code it and shove it in mentality (short timeframe). Mentality is if you haven't cut code then you haven't done anytyhing of value. YIKES!
    Lack of training opportunities
    I know at least a dozen people here actively looking for another job - uh, this is NOT the place to be

Advice to Senior ManagementLIVE your values and don't just verbalize them
    Recognize your employeees once in a while

Time to go...........

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsLots of good people with lots of knowledge.

ConsManagement. The entire leadership group is completelyt incompetent. Tom Marra has done nothing but make this company worse.

The sales team management spend millions on new products that absolutely no know wants to sell. Because of this good people are layed off from their jobs but the sales team leadership continue to spend and waste money.

Communication is non existant at Symetra and please dont ask questions or you will be talked to.

Most of the executive team lives on the east coast and spends millions of dollars on flights and hotels. They have no vested interest in the success of the company.

If you work there, then leave. If you dont stay away.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves.

Worked for Symetra? Contribute to the Community!