Symform

Symform Reviews

4.7

Symform CEO Mark Ashida
Mark Ashida

Great idea - needs to be matched by the user experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Symform full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great idea on P2P to leverage unused resources around the world. Strong IP protection on the idea.
    Truly worldwide customer base. Nice proof of the storage network and its economic - not just as a concept, but at reasonable scale.

Cons

Too much executive turnover. Each resulted in strategic shifts. Current leadership, however, is transparent about what has been driving the strategy. This is a huge improvement.

Product needs to advance. Current user experience provides friction for prospective customers.

Pick a target and path and stick with it. Focus on who will pay, not just who will use the product

Not so much

I worked at Symform

Pros

Great idea that is very useful if it works

Cons

Lacking in vision of execution. Too much ego in senior management.

Check your ego at the door.

A great place to work with lot of variety

I have been working at Symform full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great vision and product to take on a hard problem. We have market validation too. Lots of hard problems to solve to keep you engaged and excited. Very transparent upper management.

Cons

Its a crowded space and like any other startup there is risk if the product will stick and adopted by people.

Great place to work, no politics, it's all about being part of the team to create cool technology

I have been working at Symform full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- The technology is really interesting, there is never any shortage of awesome problems to work on
    - There is as much potential to grow technically as you allow yourself
    - Working hard is great, but work-life balance is also expected
    - Free lunch every day, snacks, & drinks
    - Flexible work hours
    - Plenty of funding, no worries about going short of money anytime soon

Cons

Who knows if the product will take hold in the marketplace. There are big visions of taking over the cloud storage market that hasn't happened since being founded about 5 years ago. It's not a question of the technology being awesome, it's just a question of product fit in the market. With the latest pivot there is hope though.

Great technology and great people!

I have been working at Symform full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I feel very fortunate to be able to work with the latest technology and wonderfully talented people! I love coming to work and I love what I'm working on. The culture is awesome and the people are a joy to work with.

Cons

Startups are always a bit of a risk and Symform is certainly no exception. Cloud backup is a very active space and is occupied by some pretty heavy-hitters. Symform definitely has some work to do, but I think wecan make it!

Symform is chock full of engineering challenges that will always keep you interested...

I have been working at Symform full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At Symform, we work with lots of technologies (frameworks/languages/etc.), we aren't married to just one way of doing things. I got a lot of great experience with new things after leaving the silo world of Microsoft. Employees are empowered to decide how best to build new features. Deployment to the production environment happens fairly often, so you get quick impact of the code you write. Also, the Symform product idea itself is pretty cool. A Peer-to-Peer storage network, and all the "interesting" engineering challenges that come along with implementing and debugging a distributed system, is a lot of fun that keeps me engrossed in my work.

Symform also has great people. Very intelligent colleagues that are a pleasure to be around, learn from, and collaborate with.

And who can forget (delicious) catered lunch every day? Mmmmm.

Cons

A start up atmosphere isn't for everyone. It can be a bit hectic sometimes and there is a lot of unknowns to deal with while building something no one else has done before. People that like working in that environment can thrive here though.

amazing start-up experience with incredible upside - apply if you want to change the world

Current Employee - Software Engineering in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Symform full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* great technology. solving real problem that will change people's life
    * ping pong, basketball, catered lunch everyday, collaborative environment, music, large screens, flexible vacation, smart people.... what was the question?

Cons

challenges never end. always solving interesting problems. that's either cons or pros. it depends how you view things.

don't stop leading and continue being innovative

The Skype of Cloud Storage

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Symform full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Symform is uniquely positioned to disrupt the market. The company employs smart people focused on making cloud storage cheap and ubiquitous. Each user acquired adds direct value to the platform. Opportunities for engineers to expand their scope of knowledge by learning about a wide range of systems, technologies and roles across the startup.

Cons

There's a big opportunity to improve the product's customer experience in order to reach a broader market.

Awesome startup to work at, with awesome people all around

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer In Test in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer In Test in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Symform full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Tremendous growth opportunity, it's still at startup stage and have huge potential for growth;
    - Empower employee to take ownership of challenging problems, with support from highly talented and enthusiastic engineers to support each other;
    - Cutting edge technology, while there are quite a few companies(some are real big) engaged in cloud storage space, our disruptive approach give us a clear competitive advantage;

Cons

- being new means our engineering process is not as well polished from some bigger companies, but this also allow us to experiment with what works best for us;

Keep up the good work and spread the awesome work we are doing here.

You Want to Work Here

Current Employee - Business Development in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Business Development in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Symform full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, competitive pay, modern offices in a nice old building. Catered (and really good!) lunches, HH on Fridays, transportation allowance and growing an innovative company with smart, out of the box and nimble people that make you want to come to work. The CEO sets a great tone and wants feedback from everyone. Oh yeah - and unlimited vacation time.

Cons

Negatives about the company come and go but never really last long so don't last long here so I can't see any right now.

Keep up the great work!