Symon Communications

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Garry K. McGuire

This company is going places -- UP!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsLeader in industry, dedicated employees, new focus on marketing, about to be acquired and go public, CEO of merged company is a marketing visionary, Charles (current CEO) is the reason behind the company's success and profitability over the past 10 years (will be leader of Symon business unit).

ConsSad office and building (but may be moving soon)

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in marketing and new regions, focus on product management

Just got bought, may get better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAnother company just bought Symon, some of the senior mangement may be leaving

Consgood people may lose their jobs

Advice to Senior Managementcongrats on your big payouts.

A Job is What you Make it - Fortunate to Work Here

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsA leadership team that cares about the employees and is interested in what they have to say.
    A team of associates that do work together to not only solve problems but to make Symon a better place to work
    Benefit Package better than many.
    Tenured staff of employees at all ranks.
    Ability to make a difference and contribute to change in a fast paced workplace.

ConsAny con is a pro. The pros far outweigh any con.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to keep us informed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Symon is a great company with great software and hardware. We have great employees.

Employee (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsIn addition to having great employees and a great leadership team, we are the Digital Signage leader.

ConsNone. Having been at other companies with deficiencies, Symon is the best!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. Thanks for making us so productive and profitable.

A learning experience in that I learned what to LOOKOUT for at the next company.

Not giving this info (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsThe people at Symon (non-mangement) for the most part are nice people. They are stuck working at Symon due to the current job market, otherwise there would be a mass exodus.

ConsMangement is WAY out of touch with employees. Very upper manangement micromanage everything. CEO worries about how pictures are hung in hallways instead of growing the business..as an example. HR is a joke and has too many conflicts of interest.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire

Senior management hopelessly entrenched in old-school business methodology, to the detriment of the company.

ProsGood benefits package.
    Decent enough pay.
    Cupcakes every month.

ConsIf you're a woman, good luck getting a promotion.
    Management's "squeaky wheel" approach gives plenty of attention to loudly and obviously floundering departments, but very little to small efficient departments.
    A very "Us" vs "You" mentality from management to the point of not trusting employees to do the right thing.
    For a tech company, very reluctant to embrace new technology, such as social media and telecommuting.
    Management's policies restrict employees ability to work a second job by requiring approval.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees. They have a vested interest in the company doing well, too, and will perform up to or above your expectations if allowed.

Good people working there, very senior management out of touch with reality.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Plano, TX

ProsAll of the mid and below employees (with just a couple of exceptions) are great folks and they really care. They are the heart of the company and are the ones who drive it to success. They are the best reason to stay there.

ConsVery senior management is out of touch with reality, especially of the employees under them. There are a couple of mid-senior level folks who really do care about the people, and are fantastic to work for. However, the most senior leadership is closed off and out of touch with most line level employees. Compensation lags if you have been there a while.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the folks who work there, and be genuine. At a small company, heart goes a long way, so make it count. You have some really great employees who work there; they need to be recognized.

Generally a good and rewarding place to work, but the only way to get market value for services is to be a new hire.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsA small agile company that any one person can make a significant impact at.

ConsSignificant promotions or performance improvements are not rewarded adequately.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake more of an effort to incentivize performance at all levels, and work to keep current employee salaries in line with market values for current jobs.

Loads of small company perks, some big company perks, and only some of the drawbacks of both

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsSymon is small enough with large enough opportunities that if you see an opportunity, chances are you can weasel your way into that as part of your role. There is enough cash flow and revenue that interesting things are happening. Management is attentive and focused on correct priorities and excellent at getting things done.

ConsPromotions and pay raises are too rare. There is little communication and follow-through from management about career path and what it takes to be on that path.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate career paths and milestones and reward the achievement of those milestones.

As bad as it gets

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey used to have a very nice HR manager. I assume Cavendar fired them after awhile.

ConsThe list goes on and on. Avoid this company at all costs. You will suffer random head cuts and so on. The management only cares about itself. They will go out their way to frame anyone that doesn't 'play ball'. But, they pay is ok if you start there.

Worked for Symon Communications? Contribute to the Community!