Symplicity Corporation

Updated August 21, 2014
3.7

Bill Gerety
1 Rating

There's no connection with your manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Symplicity Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great staff overall, all hardworking and genuinely nice people. Teammates couldn't have been nicer and enjoyable to work with. Interesting projects and technologies in use. The company is doing a great thing for higher education.

Cons

Management really is disconnected from what's going on with the teammembers. A year after I started he asked if I knew how to do MSEs because he was not clued in to what we were doing. Now laid me off saying I wasn't checking in with him enough. Everyone else is reeling because I was really helpful with my teammates and everyone else at symp. I responded to tickets efficiently and correctly. I loved doing that and seeing the impact I had on people in the company. Management didn't see that and laid me off based on their own concerns rather than based on actual contributions. I even mentioned this and my boss said that we could focus on the positives all day but things still couldn't go on. Huh? He was completely inflexible and left many people high and dry by laying me off due to his own agenda. It is extremely disappointing to me and everyone else. As if that isn't enough, HR gives laid off people a double wammy by telling coworkers they can't give personal recommendations. Not sure this is legal! Symplicity really let me down and I definitely don't feel like I was "a part of the family" so to speak.

Management really needs to be connected with their own team rather than being in their own world. Try seeing what your teammates are working on, contributing to and doing beyond the high level task lists. Everyone in the team gets emails about the tickets we work on, so this really isn't that hard to do if you try. There's too much of a communication silo between the team and management.

Choose a different company to work for if you want to feel appreciated and are rewarded for hard work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Symplicity Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can acquire skills that will be beneficial in the future, and will prepare you to find another job. Other than that, it was a huge waste of my time.

Cons

First of all, the president/company is being investigated by the FBI, and customers often bring up the subject.
    This company only hires recent college grads, and takes advantage of them by paying them the lowest salary and giving them unrealistic loads of work and expectations.
    If you aren't near a metro, you have to pay $8 a day to park.
    President has no idea what is going on most of the time.
    Management is a joke - micromanaged to the max.
    Training does not exist.
    Very unprofessional atmosphere - the president and managers are constantly yelling and cursing while everyone in the office overhears them (even when you are on the phone with a customer).
    Most of the products are also a joke.
    Database not working half of the time - very frustrating.
    Overall, this company will make you hate your life 9-6 M-F.

Where do I start? Hire more managers, be truthful during interviews, stop being cheap and purchase a functioning & reliable database, more communication is definitely needed., establish a training program,

Soul crushing

Former Employee - Web Applications Developer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Web Applications Developer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Symplicity Corporation

Pros

Developers have the option to "upgrade" to working remotely after 2 years in-office. Large bonuses and raises available upon completion of a project.

Cons

Organization is unstructured; there are 2 managers and everyone reports directly to one of them. Managers get into weekly screaming matches. Minimal to no guidance for junior developers. Zero transparency into the business (option to buy stock after 2 years with the company, but no one will give you details on the financials or tell you how many shares there are outstanding).

If you're going to have screaming matches, at least sound insulate your offices. (Or, better yet, conduct yourselves in a calm and professional manner at all times.) Additionally, provide support (guidance, mentorship) for junior developers that have never worked on large projects by themselves.

Disorganized / Chaotic Company

Former Employee - Client Support in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Client Support in Remote, OR

I worked at Symplicity Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

*Remote working. This is the best part about the company, and a great perk.

*Pretty good products. The products could be better, and there are too many. More focus on core higher ed producs and better design would greatly improve client satisfaction. Overall , the software has some great things that provides a good service to higher ed.

*Nice people. The staff is pretty cool and for the most part easy to work with.

Cons

*Chaotic management and company organization. If you like being pulled into multiple projects with no clear direction, terrible task management applications, and too many people involved, this is the place for you. The systems, including the phone system, and the in-house databases are bad. The products can be clunky, slow, and hard to use.

*Mediocre pay. The pay is ok, but not great. Most people I knew there feel the pay was too low. I agree, but it wasn't that bad. Good if you are just starting out or have a spouse / partner that makes pretty good money. Considering the Corporate HQ is in Arlington, VA, the in-office staff must feel underpaid.

*Mediocre benefits. Vacation and Work-Life balance are seriously lacking. The job can be never ending, and it seems you are expected to be somewhat "on call" at all times. There really is no financial motivation to put in more work. You do it just to not get behind, but the extra work does not translate to more pay or comp-hours.

*Training. Yes, there are webinars, but everyone is so busy with so many different things, who really pays attention? Even if you do pay attention, you don't get much out of it.

*Quantity outweighs quality. You are better off giving clients generic answers that don't really help so long as you meet your quotas. Take the time to really help people and it's like you aren't doing your job because your numbers are low. It's backwards. Management will tell you it's about quality, but it's not. It's all about quantity at Symplicity.

*The design of the products are dated. There are plenty of designers, but they always seem busy on other stuff that no one knows about. All the while, the main core products do not get the attention they need. Clients constantly give feedback about how old it looks and how complex it is. They used to joke around that the company name should be "Complexity".

*Micro-Management . The CEO still involves himself in everything, creating an environment of confusion and mistrust. Things get decided on long email chains or IMs. Key people are often left out of the loop, but expected to know exactly what to do and how things should function. Additionally, everyone is involved in too many things leaving too much opportunity for mistakes. When mistakes are made, be prepared for direct IMs from the CEO. Management in many ways sets employees up to fail, then blames the employees for that failure.

*HR is not very effective. Most staff have no idea what they do, other than provide in-office employees with "symp snacks". Occasionally they'll send a staff email of some new procedure, but most people just ignore or delete the messages. They even asked us to come here to write good reviews because the company was getting a few bad reviews. That should tell you all you need to know about this place.

*Trust employees. Let them manage, stop micro-managing and creating a toxic work environment. If people do 10 great things and 1 bad thing, all you will hear about is the one bad thing.

*Communication is a complete mess. You may get 20 to 100 emails daily, plus multiple instant messages. Everyone is like this and as a result, no one really knows what they are doing.

*Additionally, processes change and most employees are completely in the dark, then expected to know how to perform. This makes employees question what is really going on, and why and who made the decisions that more often than not, do not make any sense.

*The in-house system they refer to as "Izer" is dated, slow, and insanely complex. The CEO needs to buy real project management software or invest in a quality development team to modernize it.

Over worked and Under Paid

I worked at Symplicity Corporation

Pros

Flexible work hours, some really cool co-workers

Cons

Depending on who your manager is, you either have a micromanager with a temper, or someone who is hardly there and already mentally checked out.

Hire additional managers.

Its a good place to work at

Current Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Symplicity Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

you can learn a lot here when you dont have a lot of experience

Cons

youre on your own a lot of times and hours are long

Great Job for the Short Term

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Symplicity Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

*Laid-back environment
    *Get to play with a variety of technology
    *Young employee culture (generally)
    *Traditional benefits

Cons

*Subpar pay
    *CEO micromanages and makes knee-jerk decisions/reactions
    *Mid-level management (what exists of it) sucks at managing
    *Dead-end job. Don't expect promotions; expect the same job title/pay for years to come
    *HR is a joke; they can't even crank out the monthly newsletter

*Listen to your employees; they have their ear to the ground and their suggestions can benefit all
    *Improve the structure/competency of mid-level management
    *Reduce the turnover rate - it's embarrassing and a burden on the company (time/energy/money)

Good Starting Place

Current Employee - Some Department in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Some Department in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Symplicity Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly teammates who love to help you grow and are always willing to help. Lots of opportunity to play with new toys and technologies with tasks constantly pushing you to learn new things. Casual workplace with remote work opportunities. Nice location with a easy commute to DC on the weekends.

Cons

The teams are disorganized. There are no regular meetings and since so many employees often work remote it's hard to stay on the same page as to what all teammates are doing. In addition the great number of remote employees introduces so many variables that troubleshooting technological issues is a nightmare. There's no true sense of being a part of a team since while officially you're supposed to come into the office at least part of every week, most employees, even those who live locally, opt to never come into the office unless they have to. Pay is lower than what it should be given the cost of living in this area.

Enforce local employees coming into the office at least half of each week so that employee morale and collaboration is boosted. Doing so is likely to help boost productivity as well as reduce the chance that employees leave this company to work somewhere else with a more collaborative environment.

Great Entry-Level, Immediate Responsibility & Experience, Micromanagement a Big Theme

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Symplicity Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Symplicity will immediately put you in a position to really learn and grow. You are thrown into situations that require strong work ethic and self-responsibility. At some organizations it takes years to direct sell, so the quick movement is great. It is also a very dynamic company with excellent products. There is also quite a bit of room to make your opinions known, which is amazing to have at such a young age.

Cons

Management is a nightmare to navigate. There is absolutely a culture of micromanagement, which is a four-letter word in this office. Furthermore, there are zero programming and training opportunities. Oftentimes you are not given the tools you need to succeed. Ultimately this is a bunch of 20 year olds training and managing other 20 year olds, which is a huge 'con.'

Please hire a Sales Director. It is unheard of to have a sales organization without a leader. It is not conducive to a healthy, supportive, growth-oriented sales team.

Good place to work as an entry level job.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Symplicity Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home.
    Flexible hours.
    Lots of time is given for developers to do their work.

Cons

Low Pay.
    No free or subsidized parking.
    Little growth, work and technology can become very stagnant.

Symplicity Corporation Photos