Symyx Technologies

Symyx Technologies Reviews

Updated Apr 7, 2014

Symyx Technologies President and CEO of Accelrys Max Carnecchia

Max Carnecchia

It was nice while it lasted...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsSymyx offered one of the most dynamic work experiences one could find in a small company. We had a research business, tools business, and software business, and a great customer base representing many markets. Every day brought new, interesting challenges related to new, relevant technologies.

ConsCompany lost its way, was broken up, and sold. Unfortunately, the spark that drove the early company left with many of its employees.

Company was great

Senior Systems Administrator (Former Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsThe people, good benefits, relaxed atmosphere

Consnot open to new ways of doing things

Had opportunity to work with experienced team members on the pharmaceutical industry

Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsGreat teams and had opportunity work on different product integrations.

ConsEmployee recognition was not that great ...

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Symyx was a great company to work in the beginning ..

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Prosworked with lots of intelligent people in the industry

Consstarted acquiring companies and it turned out to be just another company

Advice to Senior Managementbetter able to retain good employees

Average company with reasonable growth.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsNice technologies to work and grow. Flexible hours

ConsInexperienced young leadership. Too many wrong decisions.

good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Prosdynamic, fast pace, aggressive, small size, original

Constoo local, frequent organizational changes

Advice to Senior Managementdiversify

Symyx employee

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsSymyx provides good compensation and good management

ConsCareer advancement is difficult at Symyx

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to promote internally where possible to keep talent within the organization. Look to provide more fun activities in the workplace to lighten things up.

Very uneven: much depends on whom you're dealing with

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsFlexible schedule. However, this is diminishing with quickly growing outsourcing to India, and having to work at very inconvenient times.
    Exposure to a diverse mixture of technologies and tools.

ConsShortly put: stress.
    With significant lay offs happening 1 or more times per year the work environment is quite stressful with a lot of politics; in some groups focus is on appearances rather than results.
    Very uneven set of people. There are really good ones, but also astonishingly incompetent ones, especially among middle management. Because of that sometimes it feels that you work for several completely different companies with conflicting objectives and values, which also adds to stress level.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook beyond high level pictures and statistical graphs and find a way to see most valuable people (hint: they are not the ones whose main objective is to impress you); try to retain and empower them.

Good prospects for future if they can beat the competition

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Ramon, CA

Pros- Great people
    - Interesting domain
    - Freedom to take charge of projects
    - Good relationships with customers

Cons- Too much work, too few people
    - Poor internal processes

Advice to Senior Management- More customer involvement
    - Work on driving projects that will help the business

Confused-- What is your business model these days?

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsAre you an innovator? Intelligent, creative people are given the freedom to create amazing work. Although there isn't as much freedom as when we first went public, there are still some small, but interesting projects.

The people and the work-life balance here was really really good. The mid level managers were real people with real lives, and they treated the staff with understanding that sometimes you need to go to a doctor's appointment, sometimes you need to pick up your kids, sometimes you're just burned out and they tell you to go take some time off.

The staff is very international. It was a lot of fun to meet everyone, learn about where they came from, and what their background is. I really miss working here.

ConsUnfortunately, since Symyx has gone public, there has been quite a bit of pressure to make quarterly numbers and satisfy Wall Street. All their best technologies are for sale, so that pretty much collapsed the contract research business model. As each quarter came and passed, managers sold out the future to make the quarterly numbers.

Symyx is going through a transition phase right now, and they have spent a lot of resources increasing their software business. I'm not sure what the future holds for this company.

The downside is mostly that the business model is in flux. Although the science is the most interesting part of the company, I have my doubts whether this part of the company will still exist in a few years.
    It seems like most of the focus these days are in software, and I left slightly before this transition

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys are in a tough position right now. All of your best technologies are sold off, so now there's nothing left to impress customers. Invest in internal R&D projects. Bring back the science to Symyx.

Worked for Symyx Technologies? Contribute to the Community!