Synapse Product Development Reviews

Reset
4.0
Synapse Product Development CEO and Co-Founder Ross Collins
Ross Collins

Best place I have ever worked!

I have been working at Synapse Product Development

Pros

Synapse=fun, great team, respectful, open culture, teamwork, creative, wacky, work/life balance, elite design team, great work, and as Synapsters say "people crush it here". Honestly best company ever! Culture is a huge priority here and tons of time and energy is spent ensuring the awesome culture is preserved. We even have a person dedicated to creating fun events, games, ensuring we have enough razor scooters and laser tag guns here. We sit down as a company every Wed for lunch to share projects, new hires, rants and raves. We also have beer:30 every other Friday to relax and hang out, shoot pool, climb the wall, and an occasional jam session ensues.

Cons

Not a con but people must be comfortable working in an open office environment--no cubicle-land here.

This is what I thought being an engineer was supposed to be!

I have been working at Synapse Product Development

Pros

Synapse is very transparent at all levels and has a small company feel where you are aware of what is going on and can jump in to help where ever your skills are useful. There are no silos or restrictions on what you can do or how you can help. You are always able to learn new skills and new technologies.

Cons

The place can be a little unstructured at times and unless you are able to take the initiative and be inventive, sometimes it is difficult to get direction or decisions from others. This place really expects you to be proactive and autonomous in nature. Many changes are occuring and so things can be a bit hectic as well, but they are moving in the right direction and trying to carefully guard what makes the company successful and a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Be sure not to change too many things all at once as it is easy to lose track of the impact each has.

One truly amazing place to work.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Synapse Product Development

Pros

- Range of task opportunities and problems to solve - Cutting-edge technologies - Fun, playful, social atmosphere - Creative, flexible space - High degree of trust and support - Integrated, multi-disciplinary environment - Location in downtown Seattle (and in SF and Hong Kong) - Excellent IT support - Very accessible management - Support for continued education and broadening of skills - Smart, smart people

Cons

- May be difficult for people who are not well self-managed - Open environment may be challenging for those who are easily distracted - Multiple simultaneous projects using varying technologies and support structures can make information sharing (as in lessons-learned) complex at times - The business is in frequent evolution, and systems are occasionally in flux

By far the best job I've ever had.

I have been working at Synapse Product Development

Pros

Everyone I work with is a cut above the rest. We hire the best people to do the job, always.

Cons

Hours can be long some weeks.

Advice to Management

Don't compromise the culture and community for possible larger profits.

Great job for people who want to do actual engineering work

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Synapse Product Development full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Great culture - no one is afraid to voice opinions, everyone is ambitious and intelligent, people go the extra mile to solve problems *Challenging and interesting work *Management works hard to make sure employees are happy *IT department is excellent *Lack of cubicles can be distracting but fosters collaboration and efficiency

Cons

*Days can be long occasionally

Advice to Management

The culture is phenomenal but because of growth extra work will be needed to keep it that way.

The best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Synapse Product Development full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Constantly tackling exciting and new challenges. Working on fun new technologies that push the limits of size and capabilities. However, the best thing about working for Synapse is the culture of the company. It feels more like a family than a work environment. The fun events and activities bring a good balance to the work environment. I couldn't recommend Synapse any higher.

Cons

There are smalls cons that pop up every once in a while, however none of them are even worth mentioning because I would be nit-picking. I love working at Synapse and would recommend it to anyone asking.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the employees and keep the transparency of the business. So much of the struggles in the past were much more difficult to get through when upper management was not transparent with us. I believe it is back now, let's keep it going.

A great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Synapse Product Development part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This place really supports its people, helps them to grow their careers, and listens to them. I recently told my boss I had outgrown my current role and explained what I'd like to change. My boss and HR are now both working with me to look at options and make a timeline for changes. Last year, a group of employees requested that the company create a parental leave policy, beyond the federal policy. The leadership listened and responded by enacting a policy that gives primary caregivers 3 months of fully paid leave and secondary caregivers (often dads) 4 weeks of fully paid leave. This is a much more generous policy than my friends at other firms have! Synapse in general is quite family-friendly. The summer 2014 posters who complained about lack of vision should've waited a month- we are now taking part in a company-wide effort to define strategic goals. Unlike the usual top-down decree, the leadership team here is using an inclusive process that draws on feedback from all employees. It is really exciting to work at a place where each of us are empowered to develop our careers and improve the whole company.

Cons

Some previous posts listed cons that were related to instability as we adjusted to sea changes from 2 of our biggest clients. Synapse is now well on it's way to recovery, has a more grounded leadership team, has developed a more diverse portfolio of clients, and is taking action to prevent making the same mistakes again. I'm glad, because it's a great place to work.

Advice to Management

I have a lot of confidence in the current leadership team and their inclusive approach.

Synapse Rocks!

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

In every aspect of company life Synapse tries harder than any other company I have worked for. As consultants they are in a better position to build a culture of free thinking and expression. You definitely have to work hard but like nowhere I have worked before this place really seems to care for all the right reasons. There are fun things to do there, interesting projects, very good, technical, successful people (engineers, project managers and execs)

Cons

It's a consultancy so your customers are many times either not technically savvy and you have to spend a fair amount of time generating status and explaining designs, results and information. Or the customer thinks they are very savvy whether they are or not and try to drive technical outcomes that don't result in the best designs.

Advice to Management

Continue to do the great job your doing. Continue to make the hard choices to keep the business healthy. Thanks for trying so hard. Sometimes the hard part is learning to say no to customers.

Synapse is the best Job I've ever had

Current Employee - Design & Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Design & Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Synapse Product Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The fun environment combined with interesting projects and a culture that inspires creativity, makes Synapse a truly special place to work. I work beside some of the smartest people I've ever met, and it's not hard to find similar interests and extend friendships beyond the office. There's a widespread mentality in the office that you must take risk in order to be truly innovative. This encourages people to step beyond conventional wisdom, get creative, and try new things. Synapse is the type of place that will force you to grow; one way or another.

Cons

Balancing resources has always seemed to be something the company struggles with, however the leadership has put emphasis on fixing this in the last year, and it seams to be improving.

Talented engineers and motivating environment!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Synapse Product Development full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Open work environment encourages creativity and teamwork. I enjoy everyone I work with and learn something new every day. Something fun is always happening at Synapse.

Cons

Growth outside of engineering is limited.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

RSS Feed </> Embed