Synaptics

www.synaptics.com

Synaptics Reviews in Santa Clara, CA

Updated Jun 12, 2014
Synaptics – US – “Top Work Places 2012 Award”

Synaptics President & CEO Rick Bergman

Rick Bergman

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Awesome mentorship opportunities!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsInternship program is top-rate. Both in-team and cross-departmental collaboration and cooperation are encouraged. Open door policy is real and active: it is really possible to, as an intern, walk into a director's office to ask questions or get help. Mentoring is built into an intern's relationships with his/her co-workers and manager, as is team building withing the internship cohort.

ConsAs an intern, I have none.

Good and bad ...

Not Being Disclosed (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsFor junior engineers there are many learning opportunities.

Cons- A group of old timers has complete control and it's almost impossible to "get in".
    - Very tight schedules ... you're always late.
    - When you're not in management they make you feel that managers are superior to you, when you're in management they want you to believe that you're superior to individual contributors.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing specific

My experience as an intern in at Synaptics in 2012

Software Developer Intern (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsSynaptics had a great internship program with group outings, luncheons with executives, and opportunities to learn more about the company. Synaptics has an excellent corporate culture!

ConsSoftware group was understaffed and overworked. As an intern, I did get a lot of time to meet my manager or co-works, who were all too busy with their own tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementSoftware Tools, please divulge more time and attention to interns.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hospitable and comfortable work culture

Junior Technical Writer (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsWorking at Synaptics was a real pleasure and an opportunity to develop my professional skills. Working with subject matter experts was always easy even when it was done remotely.

ConsI cannot think of any particular cons to working at Synaptics.

Advice to Senior ManagementI was very satisfied by my time at Synaptics.

It is OK to work there

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsFlexible work schedule. Good corporate culture. There are many activities like: soccer, hiking, biking, ping pong, yoga classes and so on... (you only need a time for that)

ConsThere some problems with managing and planing. Company doesn't hire enough engineers. Current employees are overloaded and sometime they need to work during weekends to meet deadlines. There is not real compensation when you work on weekends.
    Overall compensation is average. Expectations for employees are high.
    Company is investing heavily into offshore design centers to cut cost and people into US... but everyone is doing this.

The coldest,. most impersonal, dysfunctional environment i have EVER worked in.

Company IS Too Small to Offer This ! (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsNo micro-management, good wages.... free drinks in fridges on every floor.

ConsThe coldest,. most impersonal, dysfunctional environment i have EVER worked in. The first 2 months I was there, NOBODY EVER SPOKE TO ME. I felt isolated and invisible, and miserable. The buildings are so quiet, you'd think all the employees are mutes... no one ever chats or has a casual conversation.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is growing... start managing it like a LARGER company, not the small, family-type company it used to be. Quit condoning the long-term employees temper tantrums and unprofessional attitudes, interaction with others, all the stuff that, in any other Company, they would be bounced out on their ass in a HEARTBEAT for. Ease up on the Policies and documenting, and focus on the people who work for you. It would be eye-opening.

Use to be a good company

Senior Test Engineer (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsGood Benefit, Friendly Work Enironment, Lots of fun activities. Great technology and room to Grow (if you know where the right path is). Compensation for laid off employees were generous.

Consvery dynamic company and orgranizational changes are too frequent lately (almost every 6-months). You are uncertain of who will be your next boss or which department are working on next. I like the company when it was small, you know almost everyone in the company and you know who the right person to talk to. Don't apply in a position related to manufacturing as they transferring most of manufacturing stuff to oversea. They laid off people the supports manufacturing. No technical training provided for employees, unless you know what you are doing, you need to learn your stuff by yourself.

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope there was a chance to give performance review of your direct boss. Managers need to be trained on how to manage people. A lot of redundant development going on in different department. If each department communicating very well, they could have save tons of money on tool development (software/hardware) if they only knew that somebody is already working on it.

Selective company, but good working environment

Support Services (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsGood manager, flexible work schedule, healthy workplace environment, nice perks from time to time.

ConsThe leadership has changed frequently over the past 2 years. Quick growth of the company has led to many pain points, communication is not always great. Company is traditional top-down. Big differences in business units means there is good collaboration within units but not across.

Interview was good. Very bad communication with Recruting Staff.

Hardware Design Engineer (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsExperience is good.
    Lot of design Work.
    Fab Lab

Consexcesive grilling.
    Lack of commication in team

Advice to Senior ManagementMangment is good. Helpfull.

Personal Growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

Prosallowed me to grow and learn quite a bit about corporations and how they function

Conssome turnover issues within the organization

Worked for Synaptics? Contribute to the Community!