Synaptics Reviews

Rick Bergman

1. Great place to work

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Synaptics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment Great benefits: health insurance with no monthly premium or cash back in case you decline coverage 401k matching Restricted Stock Bonus and Sign-in bonus Performance bonus Freedom to express ideas

Cons

Got laid off when the company decided to outsource the Database and Applications Team

2. slowing down

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Synaptics full-time

Pros

had a great run in the past

Cons

not sure what the future holds

Awesome mentorship opportunities!

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Synaptics as an intern

Pros

Internship program is top-rate. Both in-team and cross-departmental collaboration and cooperation are encouraged. Open door policy is real and active: it is really possible to, as an intern, walk into a director's office to ask questions or get help. Mentoring is built into an intern's relationships with his/her co-workers and manager, as is team building withing the internship cohort.

Cons

As an intern, I have none.

Good and bad ...

Former Employee - Not Being Disclosed in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Not Being Disclosed in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Synaptics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For junior engineers there are many learning opportunities.

Cons

- A group of old timers has complete control and it's almost impossible to "get in". - Very tight schedules ... you're always late. - When you're not in management they make you feel that managers are superior to you, when you're in management they want you to believe that you're superior to individual contributors.

Advice to Management

Nothing specific

My experience as an intern in at Synaptics in 2012

Former Intern - Software Developer Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Intern - Software Developer Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Synaptics as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Synaptics had a great internship program with group outings, luncheons with executives, and opportunities to learn more about the company. Synaptics has an excellent corporate culture!

Cons

Software group was understaffed and overworked. As an intern, I did get a lot of time to meet my manager or co-works, who were all too busy with their own tasks.

Advice to Management

Software Tools, please divulge more time and attention to interns.

7. Hospitable and comfortable work culture

Former Contractor - Junior Technical Writer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Contractor - Junior Technical Writer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Synaptics as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Synaptics was a real pleasure and an opportunity to develop my professional skills. Working with subject matter experts was always easy even when it was done remotely.

Cons

I cannot think of any particular cons to working at Synaptics.

Advice to Management

I was very satisfied by my time at Synaptics.

It is OK to work there

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Synaptics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Good corporate culture. There are many activities like: soccer, hiking, biking, ping pong, yoga classes and so on... (you only need a time for that)

Cons

There some problems with managing and planing. Company doesn't hire enough engineers. Current employees are overloaded and sometime they need to work during weekends to meet deadlines. There is not real compensation when you work on weekends. Overall compensation is average. Expectations for employees are high. Company is investing heavily into offshore design centers to cut cost and people into US... but everyone is doing this.

The coldest,. most impersonal, dysfunctional environment i have EVER worked in.

Current Contractor - Company IS Too Small to Offer This ! in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Contractor - Company IS Too Small to Offer This ! in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Synaptics as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

No micro-management, good wages.... free drinks in fridges on every floor.

Cons

The coldest,. most impersonal, dysfunctional environment i have EVER worked in. The first 2 months I was there, NOBODY EVER SPOKE TO ME. I felt isolated and invisible, and miserable. The buildings are so quiet, you'd think all the employees are mutes... no one ever chats or has a casual conversation.

Advice to Management

The company is growing... start managing it like a LARGER company, not the small, family-type company it used to be. Quit condoning the long-term employees temper tantrums and unprofessional attitudes, interaction with others, all the stuff that, in any other Company, they would be bounced out on their ass in a HEARTBEAT for. Ease up on the Policies and documenting, and focus on the people who work for you. It would be eye-opening.

Use to be a good company

Former Employee - Senior Test Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Test Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Synaptics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefit, Friendly Work Enironment, Lots of fun activities. Great technology and room to Grow (if you know where the right path is). Compensation for laid off employees were generous.

Cons

very dynamic company and orgranizational changes are too frequent lately (almost every 6-months). You are uncertain of who will be your next boss or which department are working on next. I like the company when it was small, you know almost everyone in the company and you know who the right person to talk to. Don't apply in a position related to manufacturing as they transferring most of manufacturing stuff to oversea. They laid off people the supports manufacturing. No technical training provided for employees, unless you know what you are doing, you need to learn your stuff by yourself.

Advice to Management

I hope there was a chance to give performance review of your direct boss. Managers need to be trained on how to manage people. A lot of redundant development going on in different department. If each department communicating very well, they could have save tons of money on tool development (software/hardware) if they only knew that somebody is already working on it.

Selective company, but good working environment

Current Employee - Support Services in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Support Services in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Synaptics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good manager, flexible work schedule, healthy workplace environment, nice perks from time to time.

Cons

The leadership has changed frequently over the past 2 years. Quick growth of the company has led to many pain points, communication is not always great. Company is traditional top-down. Big differences in business units means there is good collaboration within units but not across.

RSS Feed </> Embed