Synarc

Be The First To
Add Photos

Claus Christiansen

Contradictions

Line Worker (Current Employee)

I have been working at Synarc full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people, the line workers, and most of the first tier managers are wonderful. Most of the workers in operations are young, enthusiastic and right out of college, there's nothing better than enthusiasm and caring. The first line managers are experienced and care about the job and the people.

For a person right out of college it's great.

The company could be so great with such group of people.

ConsSenior management is out of touch and sets unrealistic goals. It's amazing how disconnected they are from the realities of the business, the products and services.

Turn over rate is extremely high, it's as if the company is a training ground for other companies. In meeting with customers, several of them were former employees who moved on and UP to better salaries, and bigger companies

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in infrastructure, invest in people, invest in learning what the business really does.

Learn that people are your best asset and keeping them will serve you much better than serving the bottom line.

good place to get started in the industry,

Clinical Data Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Synarc full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people I worked with were generally good, there is some really interesting work being done there, I learned a lot and was given good advancement opportunities (though i think i was luckier than most), benefits are pretty good

ConsDoesn't pay well, constant turnover in all departments, especially operations, some departments are understaffed and overworked, it's way out in Newark which was a big con for me

nice company to work for

I worked at Synarc full-time

Prosgood people, good science. enjoyed working there.

Conssoftware development timelines could be shortened

Lack of Industry Knowledge from Top

I worked at Synarc

ProsLower-key work environment than industry; work-from-home for some; casual dress attire; will hire out-of-college grads to get foot in the door in biotech/pharma; ability for lateral movement

ConsExtremely low pay compared to pharma and other CRO's/vendors. Directors of various groups have no power (e.g. head-count; salary decisions), as CEO does not allow for departmental budgets/oversight. Promotion by attrition, not by performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementI cannot provide advice to management because ultimately, the head of the company is responsible for the issues above and is not receptive to ideas for change/criticism... see below:

Current imaging CEO is not a science expert (but a lawyer by trade via software companies) and reports to a head from Denmark who runs the company as lean as possible for profit. A large amount of that profit is funneled to legacy "consultants"/co-founding radiologists who have no operational function but remain on the pay-roll and are colleagues of the head from Denmark (rather than investing in higher-quality employees or in scientists); the rest of that money goes to paying off a loan debt from poor financial management in the past. The company has lost most of its key scientific base from its UCSF imaging origins and is run more like a software company than a biotech/pharma company. There is a general lack of understanding of the pharma industry in the junior employees hired (and among the Engineering/Operations group), and management doesn't have the time to provide adequate training due to resource constraints.

Good for start your career

Senior QA Engineer (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Synarc full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDatabase skills, pharma compliance etc.

ConsToo much of work, not stable environment

Great Co-Workers

I have been working at Synarc full-time for more than a year

ProsGood location, nice building, great people

ConsSalary, no bonuses, no raises

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the people at least the going rate

Great clinical trial management experience

Senior Clinical Operations Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Synarc full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMay opportunities to be a part of various clinical trials

ConsCompensation is below industry standards

Close to Home

Senior Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)
Newark, CA

I have been working at Synarc full-time for less than a year

ProsVery flexible hours, great people to work with and easy to get to location. Lots of parking. I enjoy working here, its a comfortable environment, relaxed people and you can dress comfortable without judgment. Some people have attitude and there self worth is a bit high, but easy to ignore.

ConsThe pay is very low compared to market rate, you have to be willing to give up the cash for the comfort. I think the talent will hangout for a short time and once a better offer comes along, it will be taken. Incentives are not really given, holiday parties are for employees only.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor such a profitable company, I would recommend giving your talent a little more competitive pay compared to market rate. Some incentives would be nice and go a long way with people.

Great company and staff; compensation not competitive with the rest of the industry

Clinical Project Manager (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Synarc full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat company, great exposure to exciting technology, great team, wonderful scientific approach, ability to be hands-on in several areas, wonderful experience.

ConsThey offer you exposure to high level processes and the ability to move into a title quickly, however the downside to that approach is a payscale that is not on par with market competitiors. I receied a $40k raise simply by switching companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay will need to get more competitive to retain talent.

High turn-over rate

Newark, CA

I worked at Synarc full-time for less than a year

ProsThe medical insurance plan is OK

ConsI heard that the company reduces sick time from 10 days to 5 days next year (2013). That equals to a pay cut.
The trun-over rate is high. People come and go. Nobody cares. I am glad I have left.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the long term growth, you should keep the talent.

Worked for Synarc? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Synarc reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Synarc CEO Claus Christiansen. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by Synarc employees.