Synarc

2.3

Mark Weinstein

Dedicated but management issues

I worked at Synarc

Pros

During the time I worked at Synarc, the engineering employees were dedicated and surprisingly capable.

Cons

Upper management needed to do a better job. The move to Newark drove me away.

Only good for those out of college

I worked at Synarc full-time

Pros

Young group of employees in Clinical Operations make wonderful co-workers. Great starter job for someone right out of college. Not much to offer career-wise but good stepping stone experience.

Cons

Poor upper management. Below industry standard pay. The company is always finding ways to skimp on pay and raises. Upper management micromanages to make sure everyone stays their 8 hours. Extremely high turnover.

Great place to start, thats it.

Current Employee - Clinical Operations Specialist in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Operations Specialist in Newark, CA

I have been working at Synarc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Got a job right out of college, not much clinical experience. Got right in the middle of things and got great exposure and work experience.

Cons

No transparency. Terrible management. Very high turn over rate. Hard work gets no recognition or promotions unless you're friends with the director. Virtually no perks for employees besides bagels one day a week.
    Sometimes, when I come into work, I feel like I am in high school. Most people who work in operations are relatively young and very immature.

If you care about your employees, then raise compensation to at least the industry standard.

Oppressive environment, unprofessional, poor management and low morale.

Former Employee - Clinical Operations Specialist in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Clinical Operations Specialist in Newark, CA

I worked at Synarc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Operations department is a great place to work if you're a recent high school or college graduate who is looking for something to boost their resume. You can learn a lot and gain industry experience without having it prior, because the work is so specialized. Some of the people here are really great, and hours are flexible. Synarc has recently merged with Bioclinica. I am hopeful that this will bring positive changes.

Cons

While the Operations department can be a great place to gain experience and knowledge, you really have to go out of your way to get access to it. The training in this department is deplorable. In the Central Services Desk department, which is the department that touches the data first, employees are given as little training as possible. All that is required of you is that you can type/enter data quickly into the system. They are not trained on the industry or taught that their work is important, which I think makes it hard to care about the work itself. Because of this, many errors are made, data is misplaced, and people are fired. CSD members must train new members, instead of being trained by specialists in the field or their own supervisor.

Management in all areas need help. People are hired to become supervisors without previous supervision experience. The company does not invest in anybodies growth, so these supervisors are left with little resources to actually supervise in an efficient/empowering way. They have no idea how to inspire their staff, which causes low morale. When we switched from sick days to PTO, supervisors made it a point to tell everyone that it was because the CEO at the time noticed that people in the Operations department were using all their sick time very quickly, which made it sound like the switch was a punishment, not just a new policy. When I was asking about a promotion I was told I was getting, I was told that the only thing standing in my way was the CEO, who was "too busy" to sign off on it. I think that the Director was trying to tell me that the promotion was in the works, but with the way it was phrased, all I could hear was "We have incompetency at the highest levels of management."

One on one meetings are a joke, if they even happen at all. They become counseling sessions because your supervisor will have the same concerns you do, and they will tell you there is nothing that can be done.

All of this contributes to a completely unprofessional working environment. It is completely inappropriate for a supervisor to complain about THEIR supervisor to their employee. Likewise, people walk around here throwing out slurs (That's retarded, That's so gay, rape jokes, so and so co-worker is hot, mocking ethnic accents) out loud and no one (myself included) has been brave enough to complain to HR. It is so blatant that one would think this behavior is not only tolerated, it is encouraged.

Lastly, as almost all reviewers have stated, and management themselves will attest to, the pay here is NOT competitive. This company pays less than the industry standard. This fact, coupled with everything else I listed, is probably what contributes to a ridiculously high turn over rate (approx. 20%)

I hope that Bioclinica is listening. I think they need to do more than have a few meetings asking us for our thoughts in a meeting where not all ideas are written down.
    Hire professional trainers and invest in employees career growth.

Contradictions

Current Employee - Line Worker in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Line Worker in Newark, CA

I have been working at Synarc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, the line workers, and most of the first tier managers are wonderful. Most of the workers in operations are young, enthusiastic and right out of college, there's nothing better than enthusiasm and caring. The first line managers are experienced and care about the job and the people.

For a person right out of college it's great.

The company could be so great with such group of people.

Cons

Senior management is out of touch and sets unrealistic goals. It's amazing how disconnected they are from the realities of the business, the products and services.

Turn over rate is extremely high, it's as if the company is a training ground for other companies. In meeting with customers, several of them were former employees who moved on and UP to better salaries, and bigger companies

Invest in infrastructure, invest in people, invest in learning what the business really does.

Learn that people are your best asset and keeping them will serve you much better than serving the bottom line.

good place to get started in the industry,

Former Employee - Clinical Data Manager in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Clinical Data Manager in Newark, CA

I worked at Synarc full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were generally good, there is some really interesting work being done there, I learned a lot and was given good advancement opportunities (though i think i was luckier than most), benefits are pretty good

Cons

Doesn't pay well, constant turnover in all departments, especially operations, some departments are understaffed and overworked, it's way out in Newark which was a big con for me

nice company to work for

I worked at Synarc full-time

Pros

good people, good science. enjoyed working there.

Cons

software development timelines could be shortened

Lack of Industry Knowledge from Top

I worked at Synarc

Pros

Lower-key work environment than industry; work-from-home for some; casual dress attire; will hire out-of-college grads to get foot in the door in biotech/pharma; ability for lateral movement

Cons

Extremely low pay compared to pharma and other CRO's/vendors. Directors of various groups have no power (e.g. head-count; salary decisions), as CEO does not allow for departmental budgets/oversight. Promotion by attrition, not by performance.

I cannot provide advice to management because ultimately, the head of the company is responsible for the issues above and is not receptive to ideas for change/criticism... see below:

Current imaging CEO is not a science expert (but a lawyer by trade via software companies) and reports to a head from Denmark who runs the company as lean as possible for profit. A large amount of that profit is funneled to legacy "consultants"/co-founding radiologists who have no operational function but remain on the pay-roll and are colleagues of the head from Denmark (rather than investing in higher-quality employees or in scientists); the rest of that money goes to paying off a loan debt from poor financial management in the past. The company has lost most of its key scientific base from its UCSF imaging origins and is run more like a software company than a biotech/pharma company. There is a general lack of understanding of the pharma industry in the junior employees hired (and among the Engineering/Operations group), and management doesn't have the time to provide adequate training due to resource constraints.

Good for start your career

Former Employee - Senior QA Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior QA Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Synarc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Database skills, pharma compliance etc.

Cons

Too much of work, not stable environment

Great Co-Workers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA

I have been working at Synarc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good location, nice building, great people

Cons

Salary, no bonuses, no raises

Pay the people at least the going rate