Syncapse

2.8

Michael Scissons

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Too bad

I worked at Syncapse as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great potential, had some of the best and brightest people I've worked with

Cons

the company went bankrupt, no longer exist.

It taught me a lot about social media

Former Employee - Lead QA Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Lead QA Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Syncapse full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people were great. It was a very laid-back atmosphere, with lots of fun perks. Project management was very devoted to getting a project done right.

Cons

Some of the management decisions were not very beneficial for employees, and we felt like we weren't being heard. We were severely under-staffed, but no one seemed to do anything about it, and kept laying people off

I have no advice, because the company no longer exists.

It's always terrible working for a Narcissist

Former Employee - Senior Dev in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Dev in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Syncapse full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

some good tech people and lots of good ideas among developers. Unfortunately a lot of these ideas were never fully implemented due to terrible management.

Cons

Management lived in their own little bubble that ultimately sank the ship. Employees were never respected and were treated like commodities to be consumed and disposed of.

Steer clear of Scissons. Don't even bother with this guy. The ego gets in the way and he will never be a true success.

Tried really hard

I worked at Syncapse

Pros

great client roster, very very smart people, good location, beautiful office

Cons

zero process or structure to support regular day to day tasks

Great folks with no solid direction.

I worked at Syncapse full-time

Pros

Great people with great attitudes.

Cons

Certain leadership decisions could've been handled better.

Short

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Syncapse full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Easy-going environment, great people. Some great client.

Cons

Too much turnover. Goals, focus is shifting far too often.

Find a plan and stick with it.

Bad leadership which leads to awful work environment.

I worked at Syncapse full-time

Pros

None really, unless you like cleaning up a few years of mismanagement and dealing with the same leaders that created the mess.

Cons

Senior leadership team (CEO and management team reporting to CEO) have several very BAD members. These bad senior leaders are destroying the company; they stifle employee morale, they make bad business decisions, they drive good people out of the company, and justify their own existence through a fear through position management style.
    Company has illusions of grandeur; believe they can be innovative in product development yet they cannot even copy competitor’s products after several years. Worse still they attempt to convince employees they are first to market, but lack of understanding of marketplace further proves leadership’s inability to properly lead.
    Office is dirty, has lack of privacy with old office furniture, though top leaders spend money on unnecessary travel and expensive technology toys.
    No work/life balance.
    Arrogance is rampant.
    I would strongly caution any candidate considering a role at the company. High rate of turnover - they are hiring, but great people are walking out the back door.

Talk is VERY CHEAP if you don’t back it up with ACTION!!
    If people are you greatest asset, treat them as such. Put policies in place that encourage retention instead of revolving door.
    Promote your managers with the utmost scrutiny....most employees quit on bad managers.

Cool place to work!!

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Syncapse full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pros – Great technology but even better team of people to work with. Acquiring Clickable raised the technology bar.

The company has gone through major transformation post acquisition . Across the board lot of changes are happening but at least tough decisions are being taken for the first time in years.

Cons

Cons – Typical growth pains of a company in transition. If you have ever been a part of a small growing company you know what this means.

Keep on investing on technology in making Syncapse the leader in the Social media space.

Amazing Experience

Former Employee - Designer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Designer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Syncapse as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

-Great office space with fully stocked kitchen
    -Love the location in the heart of downtown, close to Union, right on King/Duncan. Easily accessible.
    -Amazing team. They are fun, friendly, approachable, and helpful. They are also good at their jobs and know all about social media and analytics. They really made me feel welcome, gave good feedback on the work, and overall created a very positive and wonderful work experience.
    - They offer flexibility in terms of start-time and hours
    - The project and deadlines were managed well by our senior PM.
    - As a contractor, I really loved working here, and would like to continue working with them in the future.

Cons

- Would have liked to gain more client facing experience, but I guess additional responsibilities come with more time at the job
    - As a contractor I'm not sure what their actual employee salary is, although I was satisfied with my per project fees

Do yourself a big favour and ask a lot of questions before deciding to join.

Former Employee - Client Services in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Client Services in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Syncapse full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Experience you just won't get elsewhere.
    Opportunity to meet and work with some pretty amazing people.
    Industry leading clients.
    Competitive pay.

Cons

Culture is the biggest con. The CEO and senior management have demonstrated little respect for people over and over again.

So make sure to ask a lot of questions before deciding to join.

People who take a job without fully understanding the culture and environment tend to quickly transition to the alumni group. The alumni is a pretty large group of people in the Toronto area due to annual apocalyptic layoffs.

Stuff to ask

Make sure you know who else is on your team and ideally meet a few of them in the process.
    Ask to try the software yourself and don't be satisfied with a demonstration or a video.
    Has the hiring manager been crystal clear about how you will be measured? Can you clearly see the direct link between your daily work and dollars? If not, be very wary because this is still a services company. Until there is a change in CEO this math will not change.
    What support exists for the position in the organization?
    Ask to meet with at least one senior person from an unrelated area and ask tough questions about the business.

Euphemism's like "change is hard" wore out with the third or fourth round of executive changeover. You must start respecting yourselves and the people you bring on board. The people who are still there deserve real support and a true commitment to making it a great place to work.

Syncapse Photos