Syncapse

2.8

Michael Scissons

Fascinating place to learn

I worked at Syncapse

Pros

Office culture is phenomenal, people were all driven to succeed and achieve, start-up pace with fast iterations of different versions of the products. Also, very respectful of work-life balance, HR does a great job at keeping a friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Not much training structure in place, under-staffed, and fast turn-over, but that's just the nature of start-ups.

The right people, the right skills, no sustainable business strategy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Syncapse full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people were great.
    The organization was split across four offices, in four countries - but at least 90% of the people I worked with were smart, hard working and fun to be around.

Cons

The company was owned and run by a narcissist and his cronies.

Practically everyone in 'power' was one of the owner's cronies, or a friend of his father.

You don't realise the links until you're too far in, when you realise that 'thingy' is 'so-and-so's' best friend from school, or his god mother's daughter. For example: VP of sales was promoted to her role, having never once successfully made a sale, but she was the childhood friend of another VP.

It's insidious, the CEO and cronies gee-each-other-up in talking marketing-bs with an air of superiority which is at first convincing, until you try to tie-together the stream of jargon into a meaningful sentence and realise it means nothing, at all. Yet clients, staff and others are fooled, time and time again.

The product is faulty - flawed to a greater degree than similar products in market - they'll tell you it's industry standard, it isn't.

Every 6-12 months the senior management would fire/make redundant approx. 1/4-1/3 of the team. Of course everyone would know it was coming because subtlety and professionalism were not their strong-suit. Once a VP openly high-fived his PA in view of the 20 people he'd just fired.

Every quarter there is a new business strategy, every quarter it fails, every quarter it's changed - no sticking power, no forethought, and a lack of rudimentary ability to run a company.

Upon acquiring the failing Clickable in a fire-sale, the CEO appointed the directors of this failed company to as VPs within Syncapse. It's little wonder that it went bust within the year.

Upon going-bust Syncapse owed every single employee their salary for the previous period. This was never provided. Despite the fact that the leadership were aware enough of impending doom to provide several VPs severance in the weeks prior.

Stop. You're quietly poisoning the industry.

Some of the smartest people in social.

I worked at Syncapse

Pros

Some of the smartest people in social.

Cons

They company could sell, but the tech did not live up to the dream.

Perhaps moved to fast to scale product versus completing valuable product features.

Lots of talent with no where to go

I have been working at Syncapse full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunities to move up in the company are there and management does take advantage of this.

Cons

Upper management is secretive and cliquey.

Being open with your employees is a must as far as company finances are concerned. Keeping them hidden just kills morale.

Excellent company and a great opportunity for me to grow with a global company with a real chance at mega success.

Current Employee - QA Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - QA Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Syncapse full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Open, direct and honest communication with management from me all the way to the CEO. I feel connected to the company and its goals.

Great benefits and flexibility to make my work/life balance successfully even with the pressures of a company trying to break into new markets.

Great technical challenges with a lot of top end people to work with and learn from.

I love the focus on modern development practices and design. Automation, Performance Testing, Code Reviews and a modern development process are all big pluses.

Engineers across all offices and groups (Dev, QA, Ops) are considered equals. QA is not a second class citizen and are integrated into the planning and development up front.

Cons

Syncapse is at the tail end of a focus/culture shift. They grew very rapidly and setup some silo'ed teams in different locations that had real challenges with communication and ownership of a final project.

Sundeep (VP of Engineering) came in from the Clickable acquisition with a real focus on unification and restructured the teams and process across the company. The creation of a Leadership Team and Connect and Collaborate weekly meetings have gone a long way to bring stability.

The bottom line is change is hard, there was a big grind earlier this year to align the entire company on a firm set of goals for 2013 .. we are at the end of that process and we are starting to reap the rewards of that hard work.

Keep going on the current path and lets not lose focus. Lets keep the long view and grow this into something amazing.

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Syncapse

Pros

Leaders in their space. Top technology team... everyone is on the top of their game. Team building was essential to management.

Cons

Despite all the camaraderie, you still felt left out of the loop on many things. The way they expressed the nature of work around the office on their website, does not reflect on how they really are.

Stop stressing the petty stuff.

Too bad

I worked at Syncapse as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great potential, had some of the best and brightest people I've worked with

Cons

the company went bankrupt, no longer exist.

It taught me a lot about social media

Former Employee - Lead QA Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Lead QA Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Syncapse full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people were great. It was a very laid-back atmosphere, with lots of fun perks. Project management was very devoted to getting a project done right.

Cons

Some of the management decisions were not very beneficial for employees, and we felt like we weren't being heard. We were severely under-staffed, but no one seemed to do anything about it, and kept laying people off

I have no advice, because the company no longer exists.

Sr. Manager

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I worked at Syncapse full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Learning
    Flexi work timings
    individual contributors are energetic but directionless

Cons

Non-qualified & Confused Leadership
    Leadership salaries are unjustified

It's always terrible working for a Narcissist

Former Employee - Senior Dev in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Dev in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Syncapse full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

some good tech people and lots of good ideas among developers. Unfortunately a lot of these ideas were never fully implemented due to terrible management.

Cons

Management lived in their own little bubble that ultimately sank the ship. Employees were never respected and were treated like commodities to be consumed and disposed of.

Steer clear of Scissons. Don't even bother with this guy. The ego gets in the way and he will never be a true success.

Syncapse Photos