Synectics for Management Decisions, Inc.

www.smdi.com

Jack Hirsburnner

1. Good Company. Treats you fair and very family atmosphere

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Synectics for Management Decisions, Inc. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company is unique and has a very family atmosphere. Executive management is very employee centric and treats everyone equal.

Cons

There are really none to share. They need to win new business to keep up and be prepared for any issues with the organic growth ops.

Working For Synectics Is A Privilege

Current Employee - Web Developer in Rosslyn, VA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Rosslyn, VA

I have been working at Synectics for Management Decisions, Inc. full-time

Pros

I have been at Synectics for nine months, and it has been the most rewarding nine months of my professional career. I made a career change into web development about three years prior to being hired by Synectics. I acquired experience during that three year period piecing together one six month contract after another. In three years I felt as if I had seen the various types of work cultures, and was eager to settle into one for the long haul. When I was hired by Synectics, I felt as if I had finally found a home. I believe Synectics have achieved the perfect cultural balance with its employees, who are all very talented and easy to work with. I do believe this is the direct result of Synectic's outstanding recruiter, Ms. Lexi Van Beavers, and her ability to identify talented and quality people. I have learned more about IT in the nine months I have been working at Synectics, due to the rich resources that are Synectic's employee base, than I did in three years working at various other IT companies. Apart from learning from my colleagues, I have also become friends with them. Synectics has a very generous benefits package, and really takes care of its employees, evident in such perks as profit sharing, a flex time system, as well as "Cake Day", which, is usually a Wednesday in the middle of each month, where various wonderful cakes are made, by a very special Synectics employee, and all those who have a birthday that month, get to eat cake, and have the rest of the employees sing Happy Birthday to them. Synectics has experienced significant growth and has recently hired a new President of the company, Mr. Jeffrey Smith, who brings thirty years of professional experience as an executive and program manager in the consulting industry. This experience combined with his natural leadership ability and charisma should guide and position Synectics to continue the growth the company is experiencing, well into the future.

Cons

The number one "Con" I had with other IT companies, was that I found there was an unwillingness to take the time to properly train and support new employees. And properly training an employee is setting up an employee for success. But this is NOT the case at Synectics. And actually this paragraph could go into the "Pros" section above. From day one I received expert guidance that was patiently and clearly articulated through close collaboration. And I have grown significantly as a web developer as a result. So I really can't think of anything about Synectics that is a "Con".

Advice to Management

Continue fostering an environment of acceptance, non-judgmental-ness, quality, professionalism, respect and excellence.

3. I love waking up and going to work here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosslyn, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosslyn, VA

I have been working at Synectics for Management Decisions, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The executives recognized some weaknesses and as a result, have been hiring stellar upper management- including a new president, a head of HR, and some strong project managers. It has ignited the atmosphere. Since working at Synectics- they have taken an interest in you and your career- even before management took over, and invest in you as an employee, and you are recognized for your successes and hard work. They are starting to offer trainings- to assist in your personal career growth and when you ask for assistance it is given.

Cons

A lot of the people who have been there for a long time have become resistant to the changes made so it can make the place have a negative atomsphere at times. Because so many new higher level people are being hired- there are a lot of rapid changes and it can be a bit confusing at times.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the people who are there who make the place negative, or at least the managers who are unsupportive of their staff . Especially the managers who are not PRO changes at synectics. Try and have some seperate meetings from the managers with staff and get their opinions on what needs to be made.

5. Changes are afoot!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Synectics for Management Decisions, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has hired a skilled and dynamic president to lead the organization into some much needed changes following the comany's graduation from a small business. There are many exciting changes and significant room for growth. The people in general are excellent and fun to work with.

Cons

There's signifcant change management occurring and complaints from those reluctant to change are distracting. It's also demoralizing when the squeaky wheels get the grease, regardless of whether it's merited (and often it's very much not).

Advice to Management

Let the new president do his thing! He's got a great vision and understands what is needed to make the company successful.

6. Fabulous company (5 stars!) before the management change in March. Stay away, it is a sinking ship.

I have been working at Synectics for Management Decisions, Inc. (More than 10 years)

Pros

The family friendly atmosphere is barely hanging on, but is still here, nice office in Rosslyn. Love the location.

Cons

New management is unfamiliar with running a gov't consulting business and has made mandy missteps, including removing our 401(k) profit sharing, not appreciating long time employees and what they can offer, and general disconnection with the business.

Advice to Management

Change attitude and let people who know the clients, work with the client.

7. Great place to work with

Pros

Nice work / Life balance , good atmosphere for interns to learn and grow

Cons

Mostly federal contracting , no commercial projects

8. A great place to work

Current Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Synectics for Management Decisions, Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Much attention to individuals and individual needs. Good location and work environment. A lot of friendly, helpful people. A forward looking company actively engaged in developing business.

Cons

Big-hearted company may suffer sometimes by retention of some marginally performing staff members. Somewhat limited in breadth of staff background/knowledge/experience.

Advice to Management

Don't lose the small business atmosphere.

9. SMDI is a very family friendly organization, that understands the value of life outside the office.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

Synectics is the perfect place to work for someone who has young children or has to take time off when unexpected issues arise. It provides an extremely laid back and diverse environment and is comprised of many different nationalities and cultures within its work force. The environment is very informal and every day is "dress down Fridays" at Synectics They offer very flexible schedules and are very understanding when it comes to issues of sickness and other things like car troubles. Many people leave Synectics to move on to other companies but they most often end up returning at some point in time.

Cons

Although Synectics offers a multitude of perks and a very casual atmosphere, after a while that doesn't make up for the substandard pay that you may receive as an employee of Synectics. Synectics is like a company of the "Haves and Have Not's". That is if you are in a higher end position you make a significantly large salary. However, if you are a general worker, you tend to receive sub-industry standard pay. The company structure of the company is such that there are not many opportunities for advancement. As someone else explained, you have upper management (Directors), then middle management, followed by general workers. There aren't many people who fill those middle managerial positions so there aren't many opportunities to advance unless someone leaves. Therefore, you can end up working for the company for many years in the same position with no opportunity to move up the latter.

Advice to Management

I live the company and would recommend the company to a young up and coming individual. However, I would like for the company to place higher value on employee improvement and opportunities for advancement.

10. Geat small company, some small problems

Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA

Pros

Synectics has a very flat organizational structure, so there aren't a lot of layers of management to penetrate to get a decision on something. Another great thing about Synectics is that with the diversity of clients, there is always something new to do or something new to learn about.

Cons

The same flat organizational sturcute that is a benefit, can also be a hinderance in terms of advancement. There are workers, there are project managers, and there is senior management (3 people). So pretty much your job is your job. What you work on may change, but if you're looking to move up, there isn't much of that.

Advice to Management

I don't really have a lot of advice for senior management. Management is very approachable and responsive.

RSS Feed </> Embed