Syneren Technologies Corporation

Add Photos

Meg Vootukuru

Leaving with regret

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Silver Spring, MD

ProsI love working at NOAA, and the people I work with are nice and fun to be with. They offer a lot of overtime and telework flexibility. The company picnic was at an amusement park, and they gave us shirts and chocolate as holiday presents.

ConsI received a 25% "take it or leave it" salary cut when this company took over the support contract. All our seniority was wiped away, so my co-worker, who worked at NOAA for 25 years, lost weeks of leave. The health insurance co-pay went up substantially. All my requests for training have been ignored.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is unrealistic to expect incumbent employees to be happy with pay cuts. If we were cut in for ownership in the company in exchange, that might mitigate the unhappiness but I doubt if Meg will give up her ownership stake.

One of the worst

ProsThere really aren't any pros to working here. Might be OK for a short term job between real jobs.

ConsSenior management is clueless about business. People treated like mindless robots. So much wasted potential here but the owners seem to think they have to do everything, have every good idea, and everyone else is just a dummmy who they have to instruct daily on even the most simple task. Good people are driven out constantly and clueless people who don't rock the boat are retained.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet an executive coach and listen to him, don't keep thinking that you're better and know more than anyone else in the world.

Disappointing and certainly unproductive

Position (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsCo-workers, customers and client environment

ConsMany broken promises. Seems to be a deliberate attempt to not follow through by the company. Often hear current and former workers and partners indicate that agreements are not honored.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to honor agreements and treat people and partners fairly. Many administrative actions are focused on punishing rather than nurturing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Engineer

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Lanham, MD

Pros- Good company to start

Cons- Low salary
    - Poor employee benefits

Beltway bandits + not trustworthy = Avoid

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunities are offered by the company to work within interesting government agencies on contracts that they will probably have for years.

ConsNot trustworthy. Bait and switch. Disorganized. Secretive. "I can't tell you" + "They're not telling me" culture. Lowball offers. They are winging it. Nobody here impressed me with their professionalism or competence, ever.

Advice to Senior ManagementExplore integrity as a way of doing business. Consider the reviews that have been posted here and elsewhere as an opportunity to improve.

OK but not great!!!

ProsGood HR and team with good benefits package.

ConsDoesn't recognize the effort of employees and is not generous enough in giving bonus.

Could be so much more.....

Human Resources Generalist/Technical Recruiter/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsThe work is good. There is always much to do and never a dull moment. If you are a person who is self-driven, and can keep up/stay on top of things, then things will go smoothly for you. Most of the staff are friendly and the environment was family-oriented. Personal/Family needs were priority number one in the companies eyes. Decent benefits.

ConsI was shoved out. After months of running, for all intents and purposes, three departments I was denied a promotion due to lack of experience only to have someone with far less to no experience receive this very promotion due to the fact that their contract ended. I was expected to train this person in all aspects of the departments and the field, let them receive credit for projects and work that I myself had done, and let them manage me. Somehow my "lack of" experience was thought of as enough to continue doing the work of the job I was doing, enough to completely train the replacement from top to bottom, but not enough to have or deserve the title and salary to match my position. I was even specifically told to "do the work, show them, but let them take the credit." I was told many things....The working environment quickly turned hostile as it was okay for my "replacement" to take on my work, decide what I was allowed and not allowed to do, know or be a part of and essentially push me out of a department that I played a major role in building. It was suddenly okay for harsh words to be spoken and games to be played by certain parties. It was two against one and either conform and accept my demotion or leave.
    I made my anguish clear to my direct supervisor, I expressed my passion for my career and field, my love for it, however, the more you enjoy, love and are good at what you are doing at Syneren, the less you are allowed to do it. As was the case with several other employees. There is no room for anyone to be better at the bosses job than the boss, otherwise, out you go.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would strongly look at your operational management, maybe take a survey of employees.

Once you've work at this place, trust you'll never refer anyone to work here! EVER!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTo be completely honest there are very few pros about this company. The only pro that I can point out are the great people I met during my time with this company. Which have allowed me to keep long lasting friendships with these people. The only other pro and the last, I did gain some experience from this company which has allowed me to take this knowledge with me to other positions I've worked after leaving Syneren.

ConsThe cons.....were do I start. Let me start off by talking about overworked and under paid! I was with this company for little over a year. When I started my job description was pretty much laid out to me in the beginning. Over time, I began to not only take on more work but the work of other people that left the company. Syneren made no attempts to hire replacements or addition help. They would just throw all the work onto one person and expect this person to just grasp all this work load in a matter of hours. Even if you began to prove yourself to them to get the job done, it still was not rewarded and if so in a very small amount. To be honest, if you are a recent graduate and would like to get your start somewhere then this company is good to get your foot in the door, but once you have gotten your foot in the door please starting looking for another job else where. Every company is not for everybody, and I'd have to say that this was just not it for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your staff just a little more than what you do. No need to overwork anyone.

Great work atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsThe interview process was quick. I applied online, the HR got to me pretty quickly and set up an interview. The interview process was conducted pretty smoothly. I got the speak with the CEO during the interview. She was informative and spoke to the point.
    After a few days I was offered a position. Even though it was an immediate hire, I was given 2 weeks to make a decision before I start work.
    I like the company a lot and like the startup-ish feel to it. I like it when I am not restricted to just one role and I am asked to multi task. At least this early in my career I would like to explore all areas of work.
    I see an opportunity to grow with this company and I plan to stay as long as I can.
    Also I like how the CEO and a few other managers stay on top of things on a per day basis.

ConsDont expect this to me Microsoft or Google. It is small company. So you have to get your hands dirty and at times assume different role. If you are someone who likes to be restricted to one role, you might not find job satisfaction with syneren.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring and expand. You have a few cool niche products and you must increase your work force to take on more projects.

Current Employee at Syneren

Position (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsEnvironment – Everyone at the office is friendly, nice and hardworking. The office is neither too relaxed nor too stiff. After 10 years of working for companies whose office environment was overwhelmingly stiff and literally made me anxious about coming to work, this is a wonderful change in pace. I am free to joke around and relax with my co-workers. My supervisor is a joy to work with and there is no micromanaging from anyone in upper management.

Family First- It is extremely important to me that I not be persecuted for taking time off when needed. Not once have I been reprimanded for my time off. Everyone from the CEO on down has been more than understanding and has shown and expressed obvious concern for my wellbeing as well as for my family's when appropriate. Family is a priority here and taking care of your family and yourself first has always been encouraged.

Job Description/Growth – I see a lot of other reviews complaining about their “job descriptions” and no room for growth. I applied for a general position, throughout the course of my employment, I have been given more and more tasks, and as I prove I can competently handle these tasks, I am given more. I see this as a pro. I am expanding my job description! No, my job does not strictly adhere to the description I read when first starting here. However, if you are happy just doing what your exact job description stated when you started, by all means stick to that. How can you grow though, if you do not move beyond that? Which might be why I see complaints about growth on here, too? If all you are willing to do is your exact job description day in and day out throughout your length of employment, how are you going to move up in the company. All you have shown is that you can do your exact job, and you can do it well. I am always asking for more, and as a result, I have grown quickly within the company. Yet, I am still asking for more! I do have the pleasure of loving my job, challenges and all.

Employee Value – I see this daily at Syneren. We truly value our employees here and it shows in numerous ways. The benefits, the way we are treated and the way we are rewarded are excellent. I will even go as far as to say that I have never been rewarded as often, let alone rewarded period, at any other company that I have worked for before. At other companies I worked for, it was frowned upon when I took the vacation time that I was allotted by them!

Upper Management – I work closely with upper management, and I have never been treated as “less than,” I have never been belittled, and I have never been treated unfairly. All of upper management is kind and respectful to all employees. There is absolutely no micromanaging. But, my favorite part of all, each of them is down to earth and “real.” They do not project any unobtainable, unrealistic expectations. They are easy to talk to, as I could go to any one of them with a problem and they would be more than willing to help me. I think these qualities are rare for one single manager let alone an entire upper management team. Simply put, they are a great group of people to work with. It almost feels like a second family.

Salary - I am not going to discuss this on here, except to say that all salaries are fair and comparable. I have never had any problems in this area.

Other – I truly love working for Syneren, I love my job here, I love coming to work every day and I actually look forward to it. My co-workers are a joy to work with, and as expressed early, so is the upper management team. This is a rare find. I plan on sticking around for the long haul.

ConsDonut day should be everyday verses just Wednesday.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have absolutely no advice. I truly enjoying working here. Things seem to be working from my perspective!

Worked for Syneren Technologies Corporation? Contribute to the Community!