Syngenta

Syngenta Reviews

Updated Jun 3, 2014

Syngenta CEO Mike Mack

Mike Mack

Pros
  • Overall quite good work-life balance(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There's also no work-life balance, to speak of(in 3 reviews)

• very badly organised with too many layers and duplication of senior management roles(in 4 reviews)

Disappointing

Trials Officer (Former Employee) Halsall, England (UK)

ProsI got to work with wonderful plants and new varieties.

ConsI suffered a terrible manager who was more interested in his secretary and pub lunches than achieving team goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo some actual work!

One of the biggest excuses for a company. Ever!

Marketing and Sales Development Manager (Former Employee) Waterloo, NE

ProsIf you want to work in the government, but can't find a job there, Syngenta would be great for you.

ConsSyngenta can't get out of there own way. The BEST people have left over the past 7 years. What is left is average, slow, non passionate people that are not making the company a great company.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves....

Worst company I've ever worked for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Basel (Switzerland)

Pros- salary and benefits are ok

Cons- micro management and too American
    - incompetent managers, everything in europe dictated by Americans who are not qualified to advise on european legal matters (but think they are)
    - nasty back-stabbing culture
    -no support from line managers and HR
    -no flexibility as regards working from home
    - no teamwork, hostility and most people too afraid of losing their jobs to speak out
    - very badly organised with too many layers and duplication of senior management roles

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up and sort yourselves out. Too much politics going on and the best interests of the business are overlooked because of this.
    Senior management overall badly overdue

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

poor treatment

Production Manager (Current Employee) Greensboro, NC

Prosbenefits are great ang good

Conswork offices are warm and fancy

Advice to Senior Managementget some help with protecting private information

Great businesses with terrific products are meaningless without sound leadership

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Minnetonka, MN

ProsCompetitive pay
    Great coworkers
    Flexible work schedule

The company makes a great effort to provide work-life balance and keep employees happy and healthy.

ConsPoor leadership
    No strategic vision
    Limited career growth opportunities

Often feels a lot like a circus. No one seems to be able to drive positive changes. Lots of rhetoric about growth and new opportunities with little execution.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the small company mentality. Key decision makers need to get better understanding of operations of business and fix major gaps. ICS strategy has failed and needs to be revamped or abandoned. Need better leadership and direction from the top. Numerous independent projects are overlapping and wasting time and resources.

Lost world

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsKnowledgeable and experienced peers, who are passionate about their work, know the business inside out, and are prepared to spend time and share

ConsSelf-serving line managers who are so busy playing the silo 'functional excellence' game, and who have no experience or true understanding of what it takes to be a leader.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate office initiate Undercover Boss series

Experience of an employee with over 30 years in the company (Sandoz + Novartis + Syngenta)

Accounts Controller (Current Employee) Mumbai (India)

ProsYou have lot of liberties at work. Salary is average. Good interaction with colleagues.

ConsCertain individuals who happen to be bosses can be very vindictive and there is no system to control them. Despite my being in the company for more than 30 years still I did not get my final incremement before separating from the company because of 1 individual. Personal preferences and prejudices sometimes dictate more than sound HR policies. I was not given even a send off party after more than 30 years service with the company. There is no work life balance and employees work long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have a system where an employee (especially employees who have put in many years of service) compliants through the company's normal complaint systems, please respect the employees grievances and probe into the matter. Please treat the employees separating especially after many years of service well.

Good company, management needs improvement

ProsGreat benefits, good employees that are fun to work with.

ConsEverything changes every six months depending on the direction of consultants.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake better decisions on your own.

Inspiring vision at the top, lost in translation via endless layers of middle management

ProsThe very top level of the company, executive management is a great team and the vision for the company is inspiring.

ConsConstant rotation of division managers. Each one has his own vision of how things should be and feels the need to completely change everything around. The result is constant change (not necessarily good change) and never sticking with one strategy long enough to see it through to success. There is a lot of arrogance in many layers of management, and they don't listen to people that know the business, but rather MBA's from consulting companies often set the direction. The company speaks of the need for transparency all the time, but that only means from bottom up. From the top there is limited clarity. There is no consistency to policies, like travel for example. Everybody based in Basel is automatically booked in business class for trips more than 5 hours in duration, regardless of position or frequency of travel. If you are based in Basel or in Crop Protection where all the money is, you're golden. If you're unfortunate enough to be in flowers or seeds but not based in Basel you are out of luck.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate consistent policies that are applied uniformly throughout the company. The way they are applied today is demotivating for many. Look closely at the managers in the company, there are numerous poor ones (although you probably don't know it because they are "kiss up, kick down" managers). You need to find the arrogant ones and get rid of them.

Experience is good with this oanization

ProsGood culture with this organization

ConsToo slow & does not recognize talent

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up

Worked for Syngenta? Contribute to the Community!