Syngenta

Syngenta Reviews

Updated Jun 3, 2014

Syngenta CEO Mike Mack

Mike Mack

Pros
  • Overall quite good work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There's also no work-life balance, to speak of (in 3 reviews)

• very badly organised with too many layers and duplication of senior management roles (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Disappointing

Trials Officer (Former Employee) Halsall, England (UK)

ProsI got to work with wonderful plants and new varieties.

ConsI suffered a terrible manager who was more interested in his secretary and pub lunches than achieving team goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo some actual work!

Great People, Rewarding Experience

Student Chemical Engineer (Former Employee) Huddersfield, England (UK)

ProsHad a great time here, it is relaxed and friendly. There were a lot of out of work events that really helped me get on with and get to know everyone on the site. They encouraged and supported my learning well. The company does a good job connecting you with employees all over the world and making you feel involved in the companies affairs.

ConsCulture is quite cautious but this is very common in the chemical industry. Excessive focus on buzz words and things like Shingo and LEAN. These became a joke to people in the manufacturing plants due to this. IT services can be variable.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall really good, you made me feel very involved and important, which was rewarding. You should get better service from HP, but i don't know if that's fixable. There needs to be less focus on Shingo and LEAN and more practical understanding of how this can be applied specifically to a chemical plant.

Great businesses with terrific products are meaningless without sound leadership

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Minnetonka, MN

ProsCompetitive pay
    Great coworkers
    Flexible work schedule

The company makes a great effort to provide work-life balance and keep employees happy and healthy.

ConsPoor leadership
    No strategic vision
    Limited career growth opportunities

Often feels a lot like a circus. No one seems to be able to drive positive changes. Lots of rhetoric about growth and new opportunities with little execution.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the small company mentality. Key decision makers need to get better understanding of operations of business and fix major gaps. ICS strategy has failed and needs to be revamped or abandoned. Need better leadership and direction from the top. Numerous independent projects are overlapping and wasting time and resources.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

IS Gradute Programme

Pros- Networking
    - Fast Process
    - Challenges since the beginning.

Cons- Very demanding.
    - Having a lot of changes right now.

Great people, pretty good benefits, non-competitive salary.

Assistant Scientist I (Current Employee)

ProsEveryone in the science field I've worked with have been easy to work with and get along well. Benefits such as health insurance, 401k and stock purchase matching (up to a certain percent), seem pretty good.

ConsSalaries are not competitive, especially at lower levels, and raises are pretty much non-existent. There's also no work-life balance, to speak of. You're not really expected to have a life outside of work and the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to keep your scientists around longer, pay better. Turnover and training really hamper efficiency and growth of sectors.

SYT

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood benefits, travel opportunities, perks

Consnot very organized, behind on technology

Good Place - Management needs to pay

ProsExcellent Colleagues
    Management and staff come across as generally passion and believe in the importance and impact of their work of "feeding the world"
    Open and Collaborative culture

ConsDifficult for progression for mid-level management. Lack of transparency.
    More dependent on your network and connections.
    Need to focus on helping the countries to do their jobs rather than meeting the needs of global stakeholders.

Execution driven with clear directives

Operations Director (Current Employee) Hyderābād (India)

Prosbusiness growth ambitions with clear expansion plans

Consgrowing organisatiion with limited systems on floor.Good database , any way !

Advice to Senior ManagementPlan - lead & manage change !

Clerical

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Basel (Switzerland)

Prosgood overall wage, clear tasks

Consstrong hierarchical structure, cold ambient

Advice to Senior Managementintegration, motivation of young, interested students

Fair company - mainly if management likes you

EAME Finance Business Partner (Current Employee) Basel (Switzerland)

ProsThe pros and cons are similar. The leadership team has a ver direct participation in everyone's career. So what can be a very advantage can also be a disadvantage if the relationship with the leadership is not good. The line manager has absolutely no voice in the career development of the employees.

ConsPros and cons very similar. Leadership team is the committee who decide everyone's career, independent of line manager opinion / review.

Worked for Syngenta? Contribute to the Community!