Synopsys

Synopsys Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Synopsys Co-CEOs Dr. Aart J. de Geus and Dr. Chi-Foon Chan

Dr. Aart J. de Geus and Dr. Chi-Foon Chan

Pros:
  • "Provides a good work/life balance, mostly an un-stressed work environment"
    in 50 reviews
  • "Flexible working hours when necessary"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "gt;) Limited opportunities for growth"
    in 11 reviews
  • "There is not much room for career growth for the CAEs"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company to work for. But, the EDA industry is not doing well as a whole.

Senior Staff Engineer (Former Employee)
Marlborough, MA

I worked at Synopsys full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork at your own style. Not a lot of processes to bind you down.

ConsYour strengths may not be leveraged. Your aspirations may not even be noticed.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be compassionate about the employee's aspirations. Need to grow the people; not just pay them to get the work done.

Two great CEOs, responsible people, good collaboration and team work. Synopsys does an outstanding job with the communit

I have been working at Synopsys full-time

ProsGreat CEOs, responsible people, good collaboration and team work. Synopsys does an outstanding job with the community.

ConsSalary is not increased every year. It is difficult to move up the chain and get promoted. Managing work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease salary on a yearly basis. Offer more learning and growth opportunities.

Satisfying thought at the lower end

Senior Applications Consultant II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Synopsys full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA good place to learn many technologies.

Cons-moving up the ladder can be really slow
-salaries are not competetive, and also not fair amongst employees with same number of years of experience
-Huge tendacy to show favoritism by decision makers, which HR does not adequately manage to keep things fair for all.
- The Fairness Culture is being changed by Managers from Magma, who have a unfair work culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that the old culture of synopsys due to which synopsys became a top company does not get diluted due to the new managers after acquisition

Staff Application Consultant

Staff Applications Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Synopsys full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat company and lots of opportunity to grow initially. Lot of talented Engineers and they are the best in class on what they do.

ConsGrowth slows down after a point and job becomes redundant. Employee has to push himself hard to next level rather than that coming from management.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind growth opportunities for your engineers and find them interesting and lucrative opportunities.

Good to Work

I have been working at Synopsys

ProsIt has good working environment & employee beneficial

ConsIt is totally under control of direct manager & we should work for his satisfaction rather to our ideas.. If the direct manager is not good it is the worst scenario & your work or anything doesn't get recognized

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee's concerns to be recognized by top management

If I were to rank every company that I worked for in 25 years, Synopsys would rank #1

Executive Account Manager (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Synopsys full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRewarding work, Outstanding benefits and salary. Top tier product line. The management cares about it's employees and has developed a work environment that fosters inovation and free thinking. Management is always open to new ideas from employees.

ConsThere is a sense among employees of yearly impending doom. The belief is that your position is only secure for a one year period that ends just before the annual corporate meetings. I often heard it said "Well I got my ticket to the meeting so I must be safe for the next year".

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile my tenure at Synopsys was the highlight of my 25+ year career in semiconductor/eda arena, I would suggest to management that they work on developing a sense of security about an employee's position.

The largest EDA company with 25 years of innovations in semiconductor industry

Principal Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Synopsys full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe overall working environment is comfortable with most of engineers being senior in the field. Company has been very profitable and maintaing a good job security for years.

ConsCompared to the software companies on internet sector, SNPS doesn't grow as fast. The software development cycle and procedure is not as agile as those in internet sector.

Advice to Senior ManagementDive into new market sectors. This will spur growth and attract young talents from school.

stable company with limited upside

I have been working at Synopsys

Prosstable with small resource adjustment periodically
work schedule is predictable, rarely have to work on weekends

Consno upward mobility - the industry is not growing, so limited opportunities for promotions
salary raises and stock options are difficult to get

Great place to start your career and then move on

Unix Systems Administrative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Synopsys full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStable company thats a market leader. Engineers are talented. Good place to start your career, but if you're ambitious things move slowly here.

ConsMediocrity is accepted outside of engineering. Lot of dead weight.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better talent - improve compensation to do it

Good company. Plenty of internal politics

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Synopsys full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood benefits vacation, free yoga, few/no shutdowns; Top pay (though average salaries are dropping for new offers); Stable org. charts. Would recommend working there (in R&D). C-level Execs there really care about their people.

ConsLots of politics. I think this is common in EDA however; Stability of org chart also means no upward opportunities unless someone leaves. This contributes to political environment. The company is technically focused - a non-R&D role is not ideal there. Company is moving to vast sea of tiny cubicles with waist-high partitions [yuck].

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more expansion into adjacent markets

Worked for Synopsys? Contribute to the Community!

Synopsys Videos

Synopsys – Why Work for Us?

Synopsys: Innovation and Beyond Synopsys is a world leader in electronic design automation (EDA), supplying the global electronics market with the software, IP and services used in semiconductor design and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Synopsys reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Synopsys CEO Dr. Aart J. de Geus and Dr. Chi-Foon Chan. All 411 reviews posted anonymously by Synopsys employees.