Synopsys Reviews

• Mountain View, CA
3.7
Synopsys Co-CEOs Dr. Aart J. de Geus and Dr. Chi-Foon Chan
Dr. Aart J. de Geus and Dr. Chi-Foon Chan

1. Synopsys is a stable company with good management in general and an excellent reputation with customers.

Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Synopsys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, great customers, nice new facilities (buildings, gym, cafeterias, etc.) and an interesting set of products that allow you to keep learning.

Cons

Depending on the business unit, some are very reactive; sometimes it can be hard to adapt to the changing climate of priorities. Folks are not terribly social--they work hard and then head home to their families.

2. Overall a good company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Synopsys

Pros

Flexibility/work life balance is one of the key reasons why I've stayed here for so long. Co-workers are great.

Cons

If you've worked for the company for a long time, compensation isn't that great. In order to get ahead, you'll need to leave the company and come back to get better pay and a promotion.

3. Its good to work in one of leading companies in EDA development. Work involves lot of algorithms and programming

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Synopsys

Pros

You get to work with some very good people in EDA

Cons

Company growth is limited to VLSI domain which is more or less fixed over the years

5. Good company for old people who like static envoronment

Current Employee - Senior CAE II in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior CAE II in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Synopsys

Pros

static environment, quite, OK salary.

Cons

Does not give much dynamics, quick growth

Advice to Management

think more about bonuses and methods to appreciate hard workers

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Finance in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Finance in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Synopsys full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Strong leadership. SNPS continues to grow and expand their product lines through R&D and acquisitions. People who work at SNPS stay there for years. They are some of the nicest, most intelligent people I have worked with and we worked well together. Great work life balance.

Cons

SNPS is tried and true, reliable, but change takes time as some are set in their way. The culture is supportive to employees and the community, but you won't find start up perks and events here.

Advice to Management

Encourage more cooperation and equality of the work load between different departments when it comes to projects and company initiatives. Listen to new ideas, try something new, and step out of your comfort zone.

7. A good company to work for

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Synopsys

Pros

Highly technical people, good perks and compensation, technology leader. The culture is friendly and people keep a lot of personal interaction. There are a lot of social events.

Cons

It was my luck that I joined a bad team. My director broke my job contract on the 3rd day of my employment (main reason I left the company in less than a year) and that team had a lot of secrets and work space politics and very bad work life balance. But that is not the norm for the company. I just ended up with a team with bad first and second level managers, I heard they also left the company within few months after me.

Advice to Management

Do not break job contract within first week of employment, my contract said that I will report to a director (the main reason I joined and it was part of job negotiations) and 3rd day of employment it was changed to reporting to a senior staff

Have not had a good experience, can compare it to 3 other similar jobs in different companies, and all better.

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Synopsys full-time

Pros

Big company, therefore provides some financial stability, but that is about it.

Cons

Poor career planning, micro managing, poor communication.

Advice to Management

Show some sign of caring for the employees beyond the top 10%

Overall decent, but, not up to par with the valley's new generation.

Former Employee - Senior Staff R&D Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Staff R&D Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Synopsys full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong and stable management. People have deep histories and connections and difficult to break through some ranks. Company itself is very well managed and rock solid in financial and technical sense. Complex technical problems are aplenty to work on. The company attracted superstars a while ago, and some are still there due to the captive nature of EDA industry.

Cons

Limited mobility internal as well as external. If you fall out with the current lot, you just can't leverage your experience and domain knowledge due to the pool being so small.

Advice to Management

Certain people decisions are hard to digest given that management should know everything about the contributions and quality of a person over time - especially for the long timers. An engineer who invests his self for that many years, should not need to do self-marketing to grow. It is a pretty nice place otherwise. Cliques are unavoidable, but, at least keep track of the people who don't belong to any and do take care of them.

10. Good company to work with.

Current Employee - Senior Staff R&D Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff R&D Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Synopsys full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It has intelligent engineers to work with. Most of them are open and friendly. The compensation and bonus is competitive in the industry.

Cons

As software company, the compensation is not as high as other industry software companies, like Google and facebook. In EDA, it is good. Some groups has a little more political issues than the other.

11. I worked at Synopsys as an ASIC/logic design engineer (1998-2002)

Former Employee - Senior R&D Engineer II in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior R&D Engineer II in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Synopsys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

lots of smart co-workers; all the EDA tools,licenses, and computing power you could ever ask for; relaxed work environment; good salary and benefits; occasional employee parties/functions to keep people from getting burned out due to spending all of their days in their cubicles; access to free training on Synopsys tools.

Cons

long hours; company continually re-organized (at least back in those days); commutes were long due to silicon valley overcrowding.

Advice to Management

i was happy working at Synopsys and don't have any advice for the corporate management. my issues had more to do with living and working in silicon valley, and that's why i left the company to move away from California.