Synopsys

Synopsys Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Synopsys Co-CEOs Dr. Aart J. de Geus and Dr. Chi-Foon Chan

Dr. Aart J. de Geus and Dr. Chi-Foon Chan

Pros
  • Provides a good work/life balance, mostly an un-stressed work environment(in 64 reviews)

• The work environment is exciting and there are a bunch of new challenges every week(in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • gt;) Limited opportunities for growth(in 12 reviews)

• There is not much room for career growth for the CAEs(in 16 reviews)

Great Company

Applications Consultant (Current Employee) Marlborough, MA

ProsSuccessful company, excellent work environment, trusting management.

ConsInternal information for employee use could be better

QA

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA nice working environment and growing company

Consdifficult to climb up, no real corporate ladder to move ahead

Enjoyed a colleague friendly work environement. Business execution processes

R&D Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsNice friendly people and some talented researchers. Top management has clear directions. Moderate benefits and time-off policies.

ConsMid level management tends to have little leadership and insufficient perspectives. Outdated business tracking systems. Stable, maybe too stable, little fluidity to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication across layers of management to be stressed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good environment and work

Senior Manager, Software Development (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsTechnically challenging work, nice benefits, open environment, efficiently managed, middle management has say and control in decision making

ConsDifficult to think of any cons right now

Enjoying my first week

CAE (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Prosloved the company culture pretty libreal and employee friendly

Consnone as of now. still difficult to comment

Advice to Senior Managementmore clear perspective abt work and less of corporate jargon

Very good company to work in.

Senior CAE II (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGood salary, working environment is very good. Work time is flexible and people are very friendly. Has many electrical cars in the compus.

ConsNot many chance to learn.

You are a small nail inside a ship

Staff CAE (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsRelatively stable and good work-life balance

Cons1) Promotion is a secret unless being promoted to management position
    2) Low upward mobility due to non-volatile management chain
    3) Annual salary increase slightly above inflation but below national average

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany has doubled in valuation and became industry leader in recent years. Reward your employees accordingly; Understood christmas shutdown was needed during tough economy situation 2-3 years ago; but continuing christmas shutdown when stock is all time high and arguing it's due to employees' request is not ethic.

Senior Engineer joined Synopsys as result of merger

ProsStable company with decent pay and smart co-workers. Good work-life balance,

ConsBig company with too many meeting and processes which steal from development time.

Advice to Senior ManagementPurchased companies are swallowed in the Synopsys beast leaving only a shell of the former. There are good people, technologies and ideas still there, and these should be further leveraged for a better ROI on your mergers.

Good company to work for

Corporate Applications Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible work hours. Cutting edge technologies. Fair pay.

Consdifficult to advance, competition is fierce. Lots of acquisitions so the payroll got big that caused to cut budgets right and left. No stock options unless you are a super star or executive/director. Work can get boring at times. Hardly getting a decent pay raise to keep up with inflation.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more stock options for incentives. Have a clear management view about how to let people grow in their career.

Sales

Executive Account Manager (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

Pros#1 EDA provider with large portfolio to sell from.
    Great work-life balance.
    Opportunities to change job/role within company. Synopsys will hire internally before hiring external candidates. Once you are in, you can stay there until retirement.
    Opportunity to work with some of the smartest R&D architect in the industry.

ConsAging company and sales force.
    R&D driven company.
    Personal politics and goals get on the way of business growth.
    Slow to make decision - DNA is built consensus and not empower people to make their own decisions.
    Easy to "fly under the radar" and do a minimum work (I understand this can be seen as a pros for some people!!).

Worked for Synopsys? Contribute to the Community!