Synovus

Synovus Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Synovus President, CEO, and Director Kessel D. Stelling Jr.

Kessel D. Stelling Jr.

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is really good(in 10 reviews)

• Family oriented company that has a good work-life balance(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Caught up in banking crisis and is still not fully recovered(in 4 reviews)

Synovus was, overall, a pleasant business to work for...

Business Online Support (Former Employee) Columbus, GA

ProsI worked as a contract employee to provide support for corporate customers during an overlap interim, during which I was to help transition users from a (legacy) online banking system and the newer system that would come to supersede it. I found all of the employees, both permanent and contract workers, to be extremely friendly, helpful and knowledgeable people. The building and facilities were clean and I had no major complaints about the company, its policies or related.

ConsThe managers often claimed that a select group of the contract workers would likely be hired into permanent positions, though with no 100% guarantee. I can say that I, as well as about 2-3 others, displayed an exceptional aptitude and exemplary work ethic-- prime candidates, if there were any to be chosen, but when all was said and done, I do not think they followed through. Though, I do not hold that fact against them, as a company, since we were knowingly hired on for a limited-scope project and there were no promises made regarding permanent positions. There was one member of middle management that was a clash of personality (silent) with several of their subordinates... but isn't that anywhere and everywhere, really? It's bound to happen. Again, that was a personal issue and not an overall company or inherent business flaw, so that's largely immaterial, really.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing there such a short time and with such a limited perspective of the overall greater dynamics of the company, I do not have any advice that immediately comes to mind. I felt there were some in positions higher than others who did not deserve to be, by measure of experience and overall capability, but I cannot say if that was based on personal politics (the "buddy-buddy", "good-ole-boy" system) or some other circumstance of the past which may have seen them favored over other candidates.

I do recall there being little one on one time between upper-middle management and the middle managers, so if I was made to give some constructive criticism, it might be for the higher-up manager(s) to come interface with the lower-level ones more frequently than they did. There likely could have been better inter-level communication going on; a tighter managerial structure... though, I would hardly be the most fitting one to judge such a thing.

Friendly but frustrating

ProsThe staff in the office were all generally friendly, management listened to problems, and the company seemed dedicated to its employees.

ConsDifficult to get feedback or to expand opportunities to learn new or improve upon old skills. Training methods were vague at best and it could be difficult to gain access to the necessary programs needed to succeed at the position.

Mixed bag

Database Administrator (Former Employee) Columbus, GA

ProsGreat people. Company generally wants to do the right thing.

ConsCaught up in banking crisis and is still not fully recovered. It will probably never be the same.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Outstanding work environment and experience.

Fed Funds Specialist (Current Employee) Columbus, GA

ProsI loved the work I did and the people I worked with. I learned something new every day. I stayed up to date because of compliance testing and online training.

ConsCompany layoffs contributed little to job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake comments made from employee "Right Steps" very seriously for faster improvement and better knowledge of adversities.

Thoughts on Synovus

Director of IT (Former Employee) Columbus, GA

Pros- A company dedicated to doing their best for the customer
    - A company with a great relationship to the local communities at all of their locations

Cons- Does not have a CIO on the board of directors which does not fit with how banking is and has changed

Advice to Senior Management-Revamp the board of directors
    - Reassess goals and objectives to address internal areas. Has not been in the running for the greatest place to work in a long time

Advancement opportunities minimal; would not work there again.

Personal Banker (Former Employee)

ProsCommunity-type banking, in that we got to know our coworkers in other departments.

ConsMicro-management at local level; opportunities for advancement were too few.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should canvas employees more and reassure them of no repercussions for speaking the truth about branch management..

Musical chairs (again!)

Credit Manager (Current Employee) Richland, SC

ProsNice people who mean well

ConsTop of the house management has no clue as to what goes on at the 'front line' on a day by day basis

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider pruning some of the so-called revenue producers who got the bank in the ditch in 2006-2009 with ill advised CRE loans(surprise! they are still there - despite all the cost cutting that has taken place in an effort to appease the security analysts who follow the stock)

Great place to work.

ProsGood compensation, friendly staff, great management.

ConsNeed more staff to do jobs the way it needs to be done.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people.

Interesting company to work for

Loan Doc Review (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA

ProsVery family oriented and offers good benefits.

ConsVery clickish. If supervisor/management does not like you, you will get fired...for no reason at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet feedback from employees regarding supervisors management style.

Management is very disorganized

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe team I work with is great.

ConsThere are problems with the management team

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a new management team for the loan operations division

Worked for Synovus? Contribute to the Community!