Synovus Reviews

Updated October 9, 2014
Updated October 9, 2014
3.1

Synovus President, CEO, and Director Kessel D. Stelling Jr.
Kessel D. Stelling Jr.

Commercial

I have been working at Synovus

Pros

Great place to work - great co-workers

Cons

bank closure - constant turn over

Senior credit analyst

Former Employee - Senior Credit Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Credit Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Synovus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work life balance and great people.

Cons

Upward promotion is limited unless you want to be in loan origination.

Develop career path for credit analyst roles.

It's all heartwarming fluff

Former Employee - Specialist in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Specialist in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Synovus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you like being trapped in a position at 40 k with good benefits, and not a whole lot else going on, then Im sure you'll do great. Contentment, sure. Success, maybe.

Cons

They acted like the recession was the employee's fault and took it out on them in a big way. The whole "Fortune 100 best places to work for" thing is because they shove the surveys down your throat repeatedly. They're into titling and awards more than they are paying people. Can't blame 'em.

Quit worrying about window dressing.

Something New

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Synovus

Pros

Great company culture
    Family and community oriented
    Clients aren't just a number like national banks
    Participation in the community

Cons

Trying to explain to clients why a product or service can be difficult at first but over time you get the hang of it

Just take staff opinions into great consideration, after all they are the first face clients will see.

Great place but executive and senior managers are not accessible or visible.

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Synovus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great honest people who really are customer focused and dedicated. Compliance and integrity are very important.
    Great team cohesion below senior management level

Cons

Executive management has almost no contact with anyone below their direct reports or some sales force. Operations staff are particularly ignored and they are the face of the company to the customer. There is also a very weird dynamic in the way team members are hired and leave. Virtually every hire, position change, resignation or termination goes unannounced and are found out through grapevine communication. Because of this practice, gossip, insecurity and distrust of senior management plagues most departments which undermines employee satisfaction and wastes valuable work time that a standard timely organization-wide announcement would prevent.

Walk around outside of the Executive Suite once in a while and at least be seen and maybe exchange a greeting with your rank and file team members. Particularly those in departments outside of Columbus need at least a physical visit once a year, Executive managers need to establish some sort of rapport with other management levels below their direct reports so they have some access to what is really happening in the trenches. You have managers who have been with the company for more than a decade but have never met or even spoken with their manager's manager.

This company believes in doing more, with less.

Former Employee - Image Console Operate\Transport Operator in Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Image Console Operate\Transport Operator in Columbus, GA

I worked at Synovus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The name looks good on your resume.

Cons

It is not a friendly place to work for minorities.

Invest in classes about different minority cultures and subcultures.

Unorganized

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Synovus

Pros

Decentralized management good pay and benefits

Cons

Severe lack of structure, policies and procedures

Friendly but frustrating

I have been working at Synovus

Pros

The staff in the office were all generally friendly, management listened to problems, and the company seemed dedicated to its employees.

Cons

Difficult to get feedback or to expand opportunities to learn new or improve upon old skills. Training methods were vague at best and it could be difficult to gain access to the necessary programs needed to succeed at the position.

Mixed bag

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Columbus, GA

I worked at Synovus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people. Company generally wants to do the right thing.

Cons

Caught up in banking crisis and is still not fully recovered. It will probably never be the same.

Synovus was, overall, a pleasant business to work for...

Former Employee - Business Online Support in Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Business Online Support in Columbus, GA

I worked at Synovus as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I worked as a contract employee to provide support for corporate customers during an overlap interim, during which I was to help transition users from a (legacy) online banking system and the newer system that would come to supersede it. I found all of the employees, both permanent and contract workers, to be extremely friendly, helpful and knowledgeable people. The building and facilities were clean and I had no major complaints about the company, its policies or related.

Cons

The managers often claimed that a select group of the contract workers would likely be hired into permanent positions, though with no 100% guarantee. I can say that I, as well as about 2-3 others, displayed an exceptional aptitude and exemplary work ethic-- prime candidates, if there were any to be chosen, but when all was said and done, I do not think they followed through. Though, I do not hold that fact against them, as a company, since we were knowingly hired on for a limited-scope project and there were no promises made regarding permanent positions. There was one member of middle management that was a clash of personality (silent) with several of their subordinates... but isn't that anywhere and everywhere, really? It's bound to happen. Again, that was a personal issue and not an overall company or inherent business flaw, so that's largely immaterial, really.

Being there such a short time and with such a limited perspective of the overall greater dynamics of the company, I do not have any advice that immediately comes to mind. I felt there were some in positions higher than others who did not deserve to be, by measure of experience and overall capability, but I cannot say if that was based on personal politics (the "buddy-buddy", "good-ole-boy" system) or some other circumstance of the past which may have seen them favored over other candidates.

I do recall there being little one on one time between upper-middle management and the middle managers, so if I was made to give some constructive criticism, it might be for the higher-up manager(s) to come interface with the lower-level ones more frequently than they did. There likely could have been better inter-level communication going on; a tighter managerial structure... though, I would hardly be the most fitting one to judge such a thing.