Syntel

Syntel Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Syntel President, CEO, and Director Prashant Ranade

Prashant Ranade

Pros:
  • "Also there are good onsite opportunities if you have a not too bad fortune"
    in 54 reviews
  • "Good work environment , excellent client exposure"
    in 27 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work life balance, Promotion is opportunity based not Rating based"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Long working hours no work life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

There is no turn around for promotion

QA Engineer (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Syntel full-time for more than 8 years

ProsEnvironment is good.Carrier oppturnity is good

ConsThere is no turn around for promotion.

Worst Company - Please don't join this company in US

Project Lead (Former Employee)

I worked at Syntel full-time

ProsGood client base and Long term projects.

ConsWorst health insurance for people who join in US. It is almost like no insurance plan.

They have a hidden bond in the name of relocation. You will be asked to pay the relocation expense if you leave the company within a year after each relocation , even if you are asked to relocate for business reasons.

Work culture is not good.

1 Year

I have been working at Syntel

ProsGood salary thats all but no career growth.

ConsLots of politics. No SDLC follows, no quality in work.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers are not upto the mark some even not able to speak english properly.

Syntel my worst nightmare. People like Srinath Mallya and vijayrangakumar gopalan are making Syntel a bad place.

Test Manager (Current Employee)
Chennai (India)

I have been working at Syntel full-time for less than a year

ProsNo pros, absolutely no pros..

ConsLot of HR politics, Company happens to be inclined towards people who do boot licking, Unethical practices followed.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart trusting your employees who are in middle management or junior level..The company is biased towards people who are at VP level or above.

not bad

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Chennai (India)

I have been working at Syntel full-time

Prosyou will get to learn more

Consloads of work load,no proper management

Not so good

Senior Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
Portland, OR

I have been working at Syntel full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEnjoyed some of the co-workers that I have worked with.

ConsAdditional layer of bureaucracy, ridiculous amount of email to sift thru and 'busy work' that only serves to detract from the 'real' job you've been hired to do at client company. Terrible benefits. Revolving door of managers. Expectation to write several technical 'white papers' and publish in Syntel technical forum apart from regular work. Isn't that a conflict of interest? Publishing details of client systems, in a Syntel technical public forum?
  If I had known what I know now, I would asked some pointed questions (e.g.: Do you have any existing agreements with the client customer that are not included and disclosed in the terms of my contract?)

Advice to Senior ManagementLevel with your employees, with respect to any 'hidden' agreements that you have with client customer that would prevent them from EVER being hired as a fulltime employee of that company. Apart from lengthy 2 year non-compete, you should disclose that information (the existence of a contract between Syntel and client company, with additional terms). Not only do I feel this is unethical, I think it is likely illegal. You cannot impose a rule that specifies that an employee cannot be hired 'for years' by the client, or basically 'ever' (as was explained to me and my co-workers, when we inquired about the fulltime positions that opened up at Daimler). Encourage anyone who applies to Syntel to ask pointed question. 'Do you have any agreements with the client that would prevent me from working for them directly, apart from what is specified in my contract, at some point in time? May I have this information in writing, please?

Terrible place to work at all levels

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)
Mumbai (India)

2. No growth
3. Poor salaries
4. No company Vision
5. Poor training
6. Worst Management ever.
7. Managers = Ego
8. Poor employee treatment by HR
9. High iteration
10. Has consistently missed company goals in the past 8 years

I am not taking any kind of vendetta here, I have worked for this company for 8 years!! And I know everybody from top to bottom.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease treat your employees as asset.

if syntel announce its attrition. it would be industry top

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
Pune (India)

I have been working at Syntel full-time for more than a year

Prosfresher could be lucky to get good oppurtunities

ConsNo access to higher management,

Poor pay scale.

Bad shift allowances.

No fun.

Manager centric

Advice to Senior Managementinitiate reverse feedback process.

Technical Lead

Senior Programmer Analyst (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Syntel full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDid not find any pros as such.

ConsNo work life balance
Poor management
Bad projects

Be aware H1B holders

Project Lead (Former Employee)
Hartford, CT

I worked at Syntel full-time for less than a year

ProsThey will on board you as soon as possible.

ConsI was having h1b work visa and was working for another MNC in USA. I have submitted my profile in monster.com, and got a call from Syntel recruitment rep.
Within 2 weeks, I have got offer and finalized everything. Interview was worst & the interviewer is not good technically.

However I have accepted offer and relocated to new location at my own expenses, they said they will do reimbursement late. I have spend around 6000$(which is 3 laks rupee) my own cost and went to their new location.
I never get it back, they have multiple round of approver & each layer’s ETA is 60days. everybody is delaying,,

After 8 months, it went to payroll deportment for final approval, but it rejected , because I am eligible for upto 5500$ relocation. I told them that, it is ok & just pay 5500$ back.
But they refused and asked me to go for another request and chain of approval. I got frustrated and resubmit again. Meanwhile my manager was changed and he refused to approve my request.
I lost all my saving for this stupid relocation & never able to my money back.

Then at 11th month of work, they released me from project and asked me to find another project with help of HR. I am a family man, and I still have 2 more month lease in my apartment, that lease breakage come around 2 month rent($2400). That is also on me again. I have paid that also & not interested to work Syntel any more, then resign Syntel and went back to India on my own cost(another 1800$).

I have lost more than 10000$ from my pocket within a year , because of this stupid relocation and company.

And work –life balance also very bad, they talk in Hindi at meeting and many non Hindi speaking employee never understood it mostly.
They call you midnight from offshore and ask status , you might be in middle of sleep. They upper management team is worst and never understood employee concern and also they treat you as slave.

So if you’re in H1b visa, please don’t ever think to join Syntel.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon’t treat employee as slave & be kind with employee. also pay back their relocation amount

Worked for Syntel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Syntel reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Syntel CEO Prashant Ranade. All 463 reviews posted anonymously by Syntel employees.