Syntel Reviews

Updated September 21, 2014
Updated September 21, 2014

Syntel President, CEO, and Director Prashant Ranade
Prashant Ranade

Pros
  • Lots of Onsite opportunities for long term and as well as short term (in 69 reviews)

• Good work environment , excellent client exposure (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is negative if you manage client relationship (in 18 reviews)

• no work life balance,stretch hours are hectic at times (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

You deserve better

Current Employee - Senior Analyst Programmer (B2 AP3)  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst Programmer (B2 AP3) in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Syntel

Pros

A good launch pad for freshmen to learn the craft- they make you do the work of 10 people and you learn a lot in the first two years.Then you make the new freshman in team do the work of 10 men.Its a pure body shopping service.

Cons

Very low and disparate salaries :
    Employees on US deputation:
    L1 visa get an allowance of 2300 $ per mnth - imagine living on 2300 $ with family in California
    H1 visa gets 3200 $
    US employees :50 K to 85 K PA for techies
    No Green Card processing
    Employee Insurance provided is far below industry stndrds

1.Respect your employees, pay them enough money to lead a good life.
    2.Stop exploiting freshmen
    3.Implement good Project Management practices
    4.be honest with your clients

Work aggressively in increasing the number of clients serviced in US for sustainable growth and future

Former Employee - Engagement Manager  in  Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Engagement Manager in Troy, MI

I worked at Syntel

Pros

Good growth opportunity if you know key folks in the company :-)

Cons

Not good for US based employee. Aggressive sales team gets the deal but delivery team can't attract or retain good employees at offshore. Attrition is killing the company

Better scrutiny of offshore based Sr. management (VP & President); need more efforts in branding Syntel in US. Have to get more customer, can't rely on 5-10 odd customers for growth every year

Not a good company to work for.

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Syntel

Pros

Salary may seem little better compared to similar IT consulting firms like TCS, Wipro and Infy but similarity stops there as medical benefits, 401 K and ESOPs are NONE. Medical coverage starts when you have spent $5000 from your pocket.

Cons

- No Employee stock option
    - Little or no salary raise
    - No career growth
    - Medical benefits worst in the industry
    - No contribution to your 401 K
    - High attrition rate at offshore

You can never be a Billion dollar company by low employee morale. Learn the concept of profit sharing with employees from Infy.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

lots of potential but in need of direction.

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Syntel

Pros

they do not layoff. they will pay bench salary for months if the bench strength is low (this is esp. for US employees). you can aspire to rise to leadership roles. they are improving in magement capabilities and trying to catch up with tier 1 indian outsourcers in corporate management. they sponsor technical and management certifications. they follw CMM process in project execution.

Cons

relocation assistance should be improved. their immigration team need to be revamped to stem the number of visa rejections and other problems. medical insurance for US employees leaves a lot to be desired. salary of deputed employees need to increase.

bharat desai should get more involved in the day to day management. he should vist employees more frequently through townhalls. should recruit from top tier engineering and management colleges. they have missed out on growth opportunities during the 90's by not being aggressive so need to do better now.

Not a people oriented company

Former Employee - Sales  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Syntel

Pros

My direct boss was great to work for but he left due to senior management's people philosophies, I am still in touch with him he basically said I can not let you execute the sales strategy, you will fail we have to think differently

Cons

Can not trust senior management, cut throat culture, not organized, their channel partner model was take as many leads but do not give back

Difficult to find information, new hire orientation is minimal, consultants are not treated as people ,more as a commodity. the sales people actually compete against each other.

Takes adavantage of the Indian consultants and delays the process of getting their green cards

Value your people, they are your greatest assets

Nice company to start a career with, but not a horse to ride for a long run.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst Programmer  in  Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst Programmer in Chennai (India)

I have been working at Syntel

Pros

I joined Syntel as a fresher with a salary not superb, but to be fine with. The initial training we had in Java. In two months, we had a good extensive training. Then I was put in a project to work in a completely different technology and within a week, started feeling the pressure. I believe that as a fresher the responsibilities that I got really helped me to grasp the technology and the business much faster than my friends in different big Indian companies. Within months I became an important resource. That makes you feel good and confident. But down the line, you will start realizing, you are ended up being just a good resource for the project, what if when you look for other opportunities. They use fresher in all possible ways and get the result.
    So I will conclude the merits like the following:
    1.Good company if you are starting your career with.
    2.Good as your managers do understand your personal life also.
    3.Good as they give you enough chances to show your mettle
    4.Good to have trainings and seminars arranges for employees often.
    5.Good that really appreciates if you have done something good.

Cons

1. HR policies are good. But HR executives are not.
    2. Communication gap between base level employees and higher management.
    3. Many team leads are really not up tp the mark. Have seen many team members better than them.
    4. Compensation is not really up to the mark -- yearly hike is also minimal.
    5. Very less bothered about a employee's personal or career growth. But knows to get the best out of them to use in a project.
    6. Project goes on.. Commitments are met but not in a very sophisticated manner. Project Level Documentation is not great.

Ty to utilize resourcee with the expertisation they have ... just dont give them anything to work for.
    Should be better and more communication between base level employees and higher managements.
    HR people should be more prompt and helpful.
    Appraisal hike should be better.

Potential company - getting wasted

Former Employee - Senior Analyst Programmer  in  Mumbai (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst Programmer in Mumbai (India)

I worked at Syntel

Pros

- career growth , freedom to test ones ideas and also ability to learn
    - Good HR products to leverage but inable leadership to leverage
    - good facilities recently and infrastructure catching up and some times good projects to work on from learning - in the banking side - u can learn a lot on the cards domain - biz leader always talks of domain , their Banking university is good - If you can talk english and bit average smart - you will surely get to speak to clients and also present to client which at lead level you cannot think in CTS or TCS...

Cons

- Pay , Non caring Managment to employees , Non transparent pay structure - especially variable pay
    - No meritocracy at sr level - they embrace average leadership and demand performance and meritocracy down the line
    - too much of underdog mentality and you will get advice from managers to take care of you only sometime very funny when you come in from a large corporation
    - all powerfull delivery team can do any thing and there is no system for feedback - mgr whether dumb or average is god ... mostly very average manager -- some of delivery heads are smart but too busy to meet people at lower down the chain ..

- be more visible , communicate changes to all employees - talk to them .. build company
    - demonstrate performance culture than talking ... lot of dead woods at sr level ..
     -select only the best ... for good people it is difficult to work with average folks ..

To be consider - not consider IT done

Current Employee - Delivery Manager  in  Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Delivery Manager in Chennai (India)

I have been working at Syntel

Pros

Organically Growing Organization. Few good leaders to motivate the people.

Cons

No Branding, Bad name with US Embassy, Highly Political

Remove the OLD timers who are there in Middle Management and Senior Management then implement all your new plans. Some people are very arrogant when they move with people. because they got some god father to back them.

I wont recommend Syntel. Purely people driven... processes only on paper!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pune (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

I have been working at Syntel

Pros

Good projects
    All US or European clients so Good amount of Onsite opportunity.
    Not a very large company so your visibility wont be too bad.

Cons

Very Poor management of the "Good Projects" that I mentioned above!
    Management believes in the amount of labor and not in the kind of output delivered.
    I've seen clients who blindly believed in people at Syntel only to find later on that they have been cheated.

Please treat your clients fairly. That does not mean that you need to suck up to them the way you people do!

Syntel review

I have been working at Syntel

Pros

Syntel has some very good projects with great companies in New york. So it will give you very good work experience and environment if you are able to secure a good project.

Cons

There is no professional growth within syntel. You will be doing some work at same salary, doesn't matter how many years you work with them.

Syntel should concentrate more on software quality and talent retention, rather than only money making attitude and employee ignorance.

Worked for Syntel? Contribute to the Community!