Syntel

Updated January 23, 2015
Updated January 23, 2015

Syntel President, CEO, and Director Prashant Ranade
Prashant Ranade

Pros
  • Lots of Onsite opportunities for long term and as well as short term (in 90 reviews)

• Work life balance is excellent as they rarely require you to stay over time (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is negative if you manage client relationship (in 22 reviews)

• no work life balance,stretch hours are hectic at times (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst Company - Please don't join this company in US

Former Employee - Project Lead
    Former Employee - Project Lead

I worked at Syntel full-time

Pros

Good client base and Long term projects.

Cons

Worst health insurance for people who join in US. It is almost like no insurance plan.

They have a hidden bond in the name of relocation. You will be asked to pay the relocation expense if you leave the company within a year after each relocation , even if you are asked to relocate for business reasons.

Work culture is not good.

1 Year

I have been working at Syntel

Pros

Good salary thats all but no career growth.

Cons

Lots of politics. No SDLC follows, no quality in work.

Managers are not upto the mark some even not able to speak english properly.

Syntel my worst nightmare. People like Srinath Mallya and vijayrangakumar gopalan are making Syntel a bad place.

Current Employee - Test Manager in Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Test Manager in Chennai (India)

I have been working at Syntel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

No pros, absolutely no pros..

Cons

Lot of HR politics, Company happens to be inclined towards people who do boot licking, Unethical practices followed.

Start trusting your employees who are in middle management or junior level..The company is biased towards people who are at VP level or above.

not bad

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chennai (India)

I have been working at Syntel full-time

Pros

you will get to learn more

Cons

loads of work load,no proper management

Not so good

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Portland, OR

I have been working at Syntel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoyed some of the co-workers that I have worked with.

Cons

Additional layer of bureaucracy, ridiculous amount of email to sift thru and 'busy work' that only serves to detract from the 'real' job you've been hired to do at client company. Terrible benefits. Revolving door of managers. Expectation to write several technical 'white papers' and publish in Syntel technical forum apart from regular work. Isn't that a conflict of interest? Publishing details of client systems, in a Syntel technical public forum?
      If I had known what I know now, I would asked some pointed questions (e.g.: Do you have any existing agreements with the client customer that are not included and disclosed in the terms of my contract?)

Level with your employees, with respect to any 'hidden' agreements that you have with client customer that would prevent them from EVER being hired as a fulltime employee of that company. Apart from lengthy 2 year non-compete, you should disclose that information (the existence of a contract between Syntel and client company, with additional terms). Not only do I feel this is unethical, I think it is likely illegal. You cannot impose a rule that specifies that an employee cannot be hired 'for years' by the client, or basically 'ever' (as was explained to me and my co-workers, when we inquired about the fulltime positions that opened up at Daimler). Encourage anyone who applies to Syntel to ask pointed question. 'Do you have any agreements with the client that would prevent me from working for them directly, apart from what is specified in my contract, at some point in time? May I have this information in writing, please?

Terrible place to work at all levels

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Mumbai (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Mumbai (India)

I worked at Syntel full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

1. Opportunity to work at Client Side on Onsite locations
    ...that's about it!!!

Cons

1. Not a employee-centric company
    2. No growth
    3. Poor salaries
    4. No company Vision
    5. Poor training
    6. Worst Management ever.
    7. Managers = Ego
    8. Poor employee treatment by HR
    9. High iteration
    10. Has consistently missed company goals in the past 8 years

I am not taking any kind of vendetta here, I have worked for this company for 8 years!! And I know everybody from top to bottom.

Please treat your employees as asset.

if syntel announce its attrition. it would be industry top

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Pune (India)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Pune (India)

I have been working at Syntel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

fresher could be lucky to get good oppurtunities

Cons

No access to higher management,

Poor pay scale.

Bad shift allowances.

No fun.

Manager centric

initiate reverse feedback process.

Technical Lead

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Syntel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Did not find any pros as such.

Cons

No work life balance
    Poor management
    Bad projects

Be aware H1B holders

Former Employee - Project Lead in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Project Lead in Hartford, CT

I worked at Syntel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They will on board you as soon as possible.

Cons

I was having h1b work visa and was working for another MNC in USA. I have submitted my profile in monster.com, and got a call from Syntel recruitment rep.
    Within 2 weeks, I have got offer and finalized everything. Interview was worst & the interviewer is not good technically.

However I have accepted offer and relocated to new location at my own expenses, they said they will do reimbursement late. I have spend around 6000$(which is 3 laks rupee) my own cost and went to their new location.
    I never get it back, they have multiple round of approver & each layer’s ETA is 60days. everybody is delaying,,

After 8 months, it went to payroll deportment for final approval, but it rejected , because I am eligible for upto 5500$ relocation. I told them that, it is ok & just pay 5500$ back.
    But they refused and asked me to go for another request and chain of approval. I got frustrated and resubmit again. Meanwhile my manager was changed and he refused to approve my request.
    I lost all my saving for this stupid relocation & never able to my money back.

Then at 11th month of work, they released me from project and asked me to find another project with help of HR. I am a family man, and I still have 2 more month lease in my apartment, that lease breakage come around 2 month rent($2400). That is also on me again. I have paid that also & not interested to work Syntel any more, then resign Syntel and went back to India on my own cost(another 1800$).

I have lost more than 10000$ from my pocket within a year , because of this stupid relocation and company.

And work –life balance also very bad, they talk in Hindi at meeting and many non Hindi speaking employee never understood it mostly.
    They call you midnight from offshore and ask status , you might be in middle of sleep. They upper management team is worst and never understood employee concern and also they treat you as slave.

So if you’re in H1b visa, please don’t ever think to join Syntel.

Don’t treat employee as slave & be kind with employee. also pay back their relocation amount

a very bad politics is played in the company.

Former Employee - Finance
    Former Employee - Finance

I worked at Syntel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

there are no pros of the company.

Cons

bad management, too long stretch, no overtime, no night allowances, less hike, no future, bad pantry, bad cafeteria, internal politics played in the company.

needs to give more attention on the above mentioned fields.