Syntel

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014

Syntel President, CEO, and Director Prashant Ranade
Prashant Ranade

Pros
  • Lots of Onsite opportunities for long term and as well as short term (in 90 reviews)

• Work life balance is excellent as they rarely require you to stay over time (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is negative if you manage client relationship (in 22 reviews)

• no work life balance,stretch hours are hectic at times (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible place to work at all levels

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Mumbai (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Mumbai (India)

I worked at Syntel full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

1. Opportunity to work at Client Side on Onsite locations
    ...that's about it!!!

Cons

1. Not a employee-centric company
    2. No growth
    3. Poor salaries
    4. No company Vision
    5. Poor training
    6. Worst Management ever.
    7. Managers = Ego
    8. Poor employee treatment by HR
    9. High iteration
    10. Has consistently missed company goals in the past 8 years

I am not taking any kind of vendetta here, I have worked for this company for 8 years!! And I know everybody from top to bottom.

Please treat your employees as asset.

if syntel announce its attrition. it would be industry top

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Pune (India)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Pune (India)

I have been working at Syntel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

fresher could be lucky to get good oppurtunities

Cons

No access to higher management,

Poor pay scale.

Bad shift allowances.

No fun.

Manager centric

initiate reverse feedback process.

Technical Lead

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Syntel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Did not find any pros as such.

Cons

No work life balance
    Poor management
    Bad projects

Be aware H1B holders

Former Employee - Project Lead in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Project Lead in Hartford, CT

I worked at Syntel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They will on board you as soon as possible.

Cons

I was having h1b work visa and was working for another MNC in USA. I have submitted my profile in monster.com, and got a call from Syntel recruitment rep.
    Within 2 weeks, I have got offer and finalized everything. Interview was worst & the interviewer is not good technically.

However I have accepted offer and relocated to new location at my own expenses, they said they will do reimbursement late. I have spend around 6000$(which is 3 laks rupee) my own cost and went to their new location.
    I never get it back, they have multiple round of approver & each layer’s ETA is 60days. everybody is delaying,,

After 8 months, it went to payroll deportment for final approval, but it rejected , because I am eligible for upto 5500$ relocation. I told them that, it is ok & just pay 5500$ back.
    But they refused and asked me to go for another request and chain of approval. I got frustrated and resubmit again. Meanwhile my manager was changed and he refused to approve my request.
    I lost all my saving for this stupid relocation & never able to my money back.

Then at 11th month of work, they released me from project and asked me to find another project with help of HR. I am a family man, and I still have 2 more month lease in my apartment, that lease breakage come around 2 month rent($2400). That is also on me again. I have paid that also & not interested to work Syntel any more, then resign Syntel and went back to India on my own cost(another 1800$).

I have lost more than 10000$ from my pocket within a year , because of this stupid relocation and company.

And work –life balance also very bad, they talk in Hindi at meeting and many non Hindi speaking employee never understood it mostly.
    They call you midnight from offshore and ask status , you might be in middle of sleep. They upper management team is worst and never understood employee concern and also they treat you as slave.

So if you’re in H1b visa, please don’t ever think to join Syntel.

Don’t treat employee as slave & be kind with employee. also pay back their relocation amount

a very bad politics is played in the company.

Former Employee - Finance
    Former Employee - Finance

I worked at Syntel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

there are no pros of the company.

Cons

bad management, too long stretch, no overtime, no night allowances, less hike, no future, bad pantry, bad cafeteria, internal politics played in the company.

needs to give more attention on the above mentioned fields.

Confused between Actual Results and Appraisals, Promotions

Current Employee - Account Manager in Pune (India)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Pune (India)

I have been working at Syntel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* Overall good systems put in place in terms of Support Functions, Trainings
    * STEP and SCALE initiates are good systems, however the actual use is very minimal

Cons

* No Direct Connect with Leadership Team, despite insights, Letters, But no hearing or fair play
    * STEP and SCALE are in Theory, Practically Have seen it fail in several in Engagements, Instead of Performance, Preference rules :(
    * HR Leaders - As expected evaluate performance based on 1 feedback of 365 days with dotted line manager
    * Be careful about actual JD and the one put into Hard Copy, 99% chances are that it will vary.
    * Babu culture ( Keep your Manager Happy and you will get the best , Always please Manager instead of working Actual Facts Figure Finance details, Risk Ignorance, etc. )

* Please make STEP more meaningful, provide feedback in Quarters instead of all of sudden Appraisals without discussions and release of ratings.
    * Please use 360 degrees rating system and publish to Syntelligence ( Intranet ) including Managers, Leaders.
    * Give Mid-Senior Management the confidence of Trust, Integrity and Reward N Recognition culture for the ones who highlights RISKS, Bring New Customers
    * Please Hire with exact Roles Responsibilities Designation Band Grade, Don't deviate once resource (s ) join and put them under Practice instead of Delivery ( specialized domain area )
    * BU Heads Client Partners and Delivery Directors should all treat employees equally irrespective of Cast Creed Religion or Color. There is strong feeling amongst many Senior Level Managers on this.
    * Please don't foster culture of favorism, Reward and Appraise on Performance, Feedback, Values instead of Personal Conflicts coming between BU Head and Sr Managers

Surprise!!!!

I have been working at Syntel full-time

Pros

Syntel gives opputunity after someone is at bench for a long time or several times.

Cons

Racism,have to work like donkey ,don't expect good from managment moneywise.
    It's a myth that this company sends employees on-site provided your proximity to Manager,HR only supports Managment not employees.

Equal oppurtunity to given to everyone and Account Managers, Mangers to STOP making false promises to your employees.
    Due to some ACCOUNT MANAGER I will leave this company,policies are good but these people don't want to implement it as their margin will be low.
    They want for themselves not for others,which in turn has already affecting syntel profitwise .

Very unprofessional company

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Chennai (India)

I have been working at Syntel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

** Early onsite opportunity
    ** Good start for freshers
    ** Nice campus
    ** CEO Connect

Cons

** Horrible appraisal process
    ** Salary & perks are so pathetic that they cant say they are paid by MNC
    ** bad food courts & toooo costly
    ** If u r manager likes, no matter what u'll survive

** Check for the Attrition in AP level, upper management have different vision & views, but middle management is pathetic, only politics & they behave like it is their dad's company... high time to rewrite the polices

Another body shopping company

Former Employee - Project Lead in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Project Lead in Louisville, KY

I worked at Syntel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of Syntel`s client are large Multinationals so employees get good exposure to the market.

Cons

Syntel is just another body shopping company so there is not much to learn and grow technically. Management is poor and treat developers as construction workers.

Give respect to techies. Don`t expect developers to do sales job. Hire business students sales.

Worst management

Current Employee - Project Lead in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Lead in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Syntel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nothing, None, Zero, Nil, Null

Cons

1. Horrible offshore team, 4 fresher’s & 1 experienced guy.
    2. They don’t keep up the promise on GC processing, Syntel never ever going to do GC processing for their employees
    3. Director’s & Account managers are dumb, they don’t have any clue on client’s business.
    4. If you work hard and deliver the project then management doesn’t have time to appreciate your work, but when if there are any little delay’s on project then they will escalate it to higher level & keep lot of pressure on employees
    5. No professionalism while dealing with clients, still got struck in Indian vegetable bargaining business.
    6. Less pay with minimal benefits, a janitor can earn more than a project lead. Less than 2% hike, even if you work your ass off nights & weekends around the year

Give some respect to employees & their families