Synteract

Synteract CEO Wendel Barr

Wendel Barr

So far I love it!

Clinical Trial Assistant (Current Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsIt's only been a month but so far I really enjoy it. Everyone works Monday-Friday, the pay is great with really good benefits (including pet insurance) and lots on PTO. It seems to be the norm for people to take at least one day off a week. Right now they have the 'summer' schedule which allows you to work 8 9hr days and then get a free day off every other week. The culture is business causal with causal Fridays. They are all very hands on and really care about your training and molding you to be a good employee.

ConsIn my department they haven't had a new hire in a while so some of their training is a little rusty but everyone is very young and just needs you to ask lots of questions.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Used to be great, now has a bleak outlook

ProsCasual attire, great lower-level people, work from home opportunities

ConsPromotions aren't given fairly. You have to do the job of the position above your's for at least 2-3 years before you're considered. Pay is low for the industry. Also, as of 2014, THERE ARE NO MORE MERIT RAISES OR COST OF LIVING RAISES!!!! Yes, this is ridiculous. The harder you work and the smarter you are, the more crap that gets dumped on you for absolutely no reward. You get nothing more than slacker co-workers who do next to nothing. They aso like to change their health insurance every year.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward you're employees for doing a good job or they will have no reason to try! Strive to keep the people you have instead of spending money and resources on hiring that could be used for merit raises and promotions.

Great commitment to employees - felt valued.

Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsI was a lower level employee but still felt valued

ConsThe only con I can think of would be that the entry level training was scattered. I learned a lot on my own.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Culture and HR

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsEmployee relationships, casual attire, company events, location,

ConsExecutives are not working closely with workers, promotions are nonexistent unless you are already a Sr. level employee or manager. Human resources department needs to be completely redefined.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend money where it is truly needed. Increase your human resources department so that they can actually handle their work. Human resources was always behind, and blamed other departments for their own shortcomings. This is particularly true for the head of the department as well as recruitment and employee promotions.

Was a great place to work at

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsSemi-casual atmosphere for the most part and you will meet some great people there and develop friendships. Level of responsibility can be high, however it does mean a lot of work with quick deadlines.

ConsThe culture/atmosphere of the company has changed over the years. Because of this and other reasons, turnover has risen to pretty rediculous levels over the past year, with many long time employees leaving. I'm sure this doesn't apply to everyone, but management has gotten to the point where they only care about themselves. As long as the work gets done and they get their bonuses/raises, it's all that matters and the common response is that we should be happy with what we have...

Career Opportunities:
    Aim high at hire, but good luck moving up. Company is too top heavy and there is no room for advancement. Also, be aware with which department you get hired to. This could be the case for all, or just individual cases. But they will try to keep you at the same level as long as they can to the point where a worker will start looking elsewhere. There is training, at least they state there is. But then the budget just disappears.

Compensation and Benefits:
    I'd put this at average to a little above. It's all based on the position/pay grade and department you work in. If going for Senior Management, you should be set. Be mindful of your rights regarding your position in relation to exempt and non-exempt status.

Work/Life Balance:
    Practically none to be had. Long hours in the office and at home. I've also parts of vacations having to work including maternity leave. Be aware that work load, tight deadlines and raise stress levels which in turn can affect things at home.

Senior Management:
    Mindset seems to be geared towards what makes them look good to get bonuses. I guess this is the standard everywhere? Be mindful that on some teams/departments, the ratio of managers and workers can be a bit off.

Culture/Values:
    Nothing much to say. It has changed over the years. There was a recent merger/acquisition of a company in Europe. So if you're in the US, you need to be mindful of the culture and values for there. Also, the common belief is that the EU side gets more benefits while the US does the work. Different laws and culture I guess. And before you ask, the US did the acquiring.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart looking out for your employees and listening to them. Usually they are good at what they do. Things shouldn't get to the point that workers are thinking about or actually leaving for you to start trying to take action. Also, there are bad workers. No reason they should be kept around just because they think brown is a good color to have on their noses or they look good. When all the actual workers leave, it's going to get pretty obvious.

Isn't what it used to be...

ProsNice location, nice offices. Friendly employees that make you feel welcome and at home.

ConsThe company is experiencing turnover and cultural changes. Not a lot of training provided. Tight deadlines make it difficult to produce quality work.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees when they provide feedback. When issues are addressed they are never acknowledged in a meaningful way. A lot of lip service at this company...

Good company with Bright Future

Project Manager (Current Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsThe people are wonderful at all levels of the organization. Most positions may telecommute at least 1 day per week.

ConsThis is a growing company and not all systems are well-integrated. You need to be resourceful to get your project needs met.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees - they had good input. Improve the performance management system to reward stellar employees and to weed out non-performers.

Alright

ProsNice People, Free Bagels and Chips, Casual Fridays

ConsCan be boring at times

Worked for Synteract? Contribute to the Community!