Synygy

Synygy Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Synygy President and CEO Mark A. Stiffler

Mark A. Stiffler

Pros:
  • "Great culture, work environment; clear organisation, good managers"
    in 14 reviews
  • "You learn a lot by doing, but there is usually a more experienced person to help you when you get stuck"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior Management requires to create level two in the organization"
    in 4 reviews
  • "The work can get repetitive at times and more training opportunities would really help"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work!

I have been working at Synygy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company seems to really care about its people. You feel like a person and not just a number. Everyone knows your name, including senior management. The monthy happy hours and other events are a fun way to hang out with coworkers. I think the company knows people have to put in extra hours sometimes, and they go above and beyond to thank you by doing little extras like the events. Or, giving you the flexibility to leave early one day if you put extra hours in the day before. Overall, I would reccommend this company to a friend.

ConsThe building the Chester office is located in is the old Delaware County Power Plant. Although a very cool buiding to work in, because it is an older building, it can be drafty and cold during winter months.

Smart people. Smart company.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Synygy full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSynygy touts itself as a company full of smart, driven people working towards a common goal, and that is just what you will find here. In fact, the most successful employees are those who inherently possess the tenacity and resourcefulness to seek out problems and challenges, and develop realistic and effective solutions. It is a pleasure to work with motivated and invested people who care about the work they do and enjoy their place of employment.

ConsIf change scares you, Synygy may not be the company for you. Then again, technology may not be the industry for you. However, if there is a constant here, change may be it. The company and executive management does the best they can to communicate changes to the workforce in real time and to manage related processes, and that can be challenging in a global environment. With that said, with change comes opportunity and most of the change at Synygy turns into career advancement opportunities for the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain the strong relationships you have with the workforce. Be approachable and stay connected to the next generation of Synygy employees. One of Synygy's greatest strengths is the accessibility of it's leadership.

Learned a lot, but glad I didn't stay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Synygy full-time

ProsNot a bad place to work some of the time, I'm sure there are fun teams to be on... somewhere. There are fun office activities pretty much every month, and the bi-annual summer and winter 'solstice' events are cool. There is potential for travelling between the offices (Scottsdale, AZ; Chester, PA; Bucharest, Romania; Pune, India) and spending up to a month there.

ConsWho thought "let's have peer reviews directly affect your bonus" was a good idea? Also, if you ever think that you may be working obscenely long hours and mention it to someone else, their response will be "Welcome to Synygy." - this is the norm, you better enjoy it if you plan to work here. Finally, the clients are very demanding, and people can be unforgiving about any minor mistake, coupled with the expert finger-pointers here, this place is a minefield for anyone capable of accepting personal responsibility.

Long Hours, OK pay, but all the work flexibility you need

I have been working at Synygy full-time for more than 5 years

Proswork flexibility is amazing. If you need to leave for a doctor appointment you can and you don't have to sacrifice your vacation days as they allow you to make up your hours later.

Consusually overtime work but not paid for overtime. stretch employees too much.

Reasonable introduction to the software industry

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
Conshohocken, PA

I worked at Synygy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent peer coworkers, immediate mentors and managers. Excellent team-building. Reasonably good enterprise software methodology and consultancy. Good client relationships. Great experience in enterprise software in general.

ConsLots of early-20-year-olds leads to work life "endurance preening", if you will - a social norm towards working "long" as opposed to "smart"; "how hard could it be?" effort estimation, etc from people who don't know any better yet. Delay of variable component of salary for multiple quarters from time to time.

Advice to Senior ManagementA focus on reducing costs should be an admirable trait for management. However, during my time at Synygy, I observed poor implementation of this. Specificially, "ownership" is championed as a corporate value, however, in more than one event, the CEO would make a very fine-grained cost-saving decision (apparently unilaterally), communicate this poorly to the organization, in a way that undermines what should have been a fully delegated detail to lower levels of management. This behavior is inconsistent with fostering "ownership" as a core value.

amazing people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Synygy full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt all comes down to the people. They are really good at spending the time to make sure new hires will fit in with the culture, which made it a very comfortable and enjoyable place to work.

ConsCompensation was not great, and they factored your bonus in as part of your total compensation and treated it as if it were a guaranteed part of your salary, which it was not.

You should see Synygy today....its amazing

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Synygy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI have found nothing but extreme support, fun, and continuous learning here. Sure ,they ar ea bit small, but what they do they do well and what we do no competitor can touch. The culture here treats me like a real person....I am not a number and I love that...

ConsI would lke to see senior mangers more; there is so many smart people here that we could benefit from their expertise

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going!!!!

A great first job

Implementation Services Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Synygy

ProsThe management doesn't expect you to dedicate your entire life to your job. You have great flexibility and can get involved in a meaningful way within your first couple of weeks. People are very friendly, and a mentor system helps you with the learning curve. Mentors also serve to help you navigate through your career, and they do an excellent job of it. If you are a self starter, you will succeed at Synygy, as you are given a lot of freedom to choose your tasks and develop expertise in particular areas

Best, I think, is the evaluation system. You are evaluated once per month in your first three months, and then you are evaluated every six months (based on your start date) in addition to quarterly evaluations. The result is that you should always know how you are performing at any given time.

Working in the old Delaware County Electric building makes for a unique environment, with 100 foot ceilings and enormous bay windows overlooking the Delaware River and Commodore Barry Bridge.

The benefits package that we get is very good.. the people responsible for your benefits are knowledgeable and care very much about helping you out.

ConsIts location, though pretty cool, is extremely inconvenient. You can take public transportation, but because it is in the suburbs of Philadelphia, trains are never running at times conducive to commuting by rail. Without a car, it is very, very difficult to get to work.

Although benefits are good, that doesn't quite make up for salaries below industry standard. They are getting better and have recognized the need to compensate employees in such a fashion as to give them incentive not to leave the company, but salaries are still lower than competitors' salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on being a little more transparent. The company is shifting its focus, and the employees need to know what's happening, which means informing them of changes before they happen, not after they have already been implemented.

Also, keep up the good work. Employees are generally happy, recognizing that although we are paid less then peers, our lives are less stressful than theirs. Largely I believe this is due to the efforts of senior management to secure a productive and satisfying work environment.

Working at Synygy is like being in Purgatory. Great people.Good product. Poor management.

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsGreat people. Good products and services. No politics

ConsTop management can be nasty and vindictive. Plays favorites. Mercurial and unpredictable.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your people and invest in them. Run the business as a business, not a sandbox. Don't play favorites.Value your clients and your employees.

Good place to work

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Synygy

ProsCompany takes care of employees
Beautiful building
Leader in its niche

ConsThe sales profession takes a backseat to engineers and consultants
Pay ceiling and potential is below what other software companies offer

Advice to Senior ManagementLet sales manage the relationship all the way through the lifecycle of a customer engagement.

Worked for Synygy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Synygy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Synygy CEO Mark A. Stiffler. All 129 reviews posted anonymously by Synygy employees.