Synygy Reviews

Updated August 20, 2014
Updated August 20, 2014

Mark A. Stiffler,

Pros
  • Great culture, work environment; clear organisation, good managers (in 15 reviews)

• Early on, you learn a lot quickly and have the opportunity to really challenge yourself (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of training on both soft and hard skills (no-training seems to be a type of managing set by the company President) (in 4 reviews)

• Growth opportunities are few as CEO seems satisfied running company at current revenues (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Beginner Company

I worked at Synygy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice people to work with.
    For a fresh graduate or entry-level person a great environment to learn and grow.
    Some incredibly talented group of people that you will find to work with.

Cons

Low salaries with huge expectations and working hours
    Lack of Training
    Growth is limited

Compensate and reward people per industry standards

Baptism by Fire

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Chester, PA

I worked at Synygy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Honestly, this is a great place if you are just starting out or if you want to round out your professional experience early in a career. You will be exposed to a demanding client facing work environment and will have your hands in meaningful projects even as a junior team member. Moreover, there are some really good people here at all levels. Due in no small part to their applicant screening, I also found that my colleagues were at the very least intelligent. Lastly, the company made concerted efforts to boost morale with monthly events (Herberts) and fantastic winter solstice parties.

Cons

If you're not one to force boundaries between your personal and work life, this is not the place for you. You can easily be putting in 50-60 hour weeks with more left to do at the end of it. That is just the nature of the work. There will always be the crisis du jour. While the initial salary offering was a good base, I found that the raises were low even with eventual promotion. In short, the long hours fostered burnout and the lack of reward for good/hard work was demotivating. This is normal stuff and I don't think this is an isolated experience at Synygy. However, it is something to be aware of if you are seeking a position here. Like I said, this strikes me as a good place to start out or round out your experience before moving on. To put this in a positive lite, work life will be a breeze once you've had your Baptism by Fire at Synygy.

At this very moment, I see employee morale as a major issue that will eventually catch up with the company if not addressed as a legitimate concern. Synygy is currently losing a lot of good people that would have stuck around if they were just a little more hopeful about the health of their careers and felt personally invested in the future success of the company. If the company feels that the level of churn is unsustainable, they should move quick to identify and reward those that remain loyal and productive.

Not good for the long haul

I have been working at Synygy full-time

Pros

There are lot of very talented, loyal and hard-working people to BE found working at Synygy; mind you, a lot of this is loyalty to one another but not the company specifically. The culture / office is pretty relaxed when it comes to working remotely if needed, bending your hours a little bit as required, or moving away from your desk and working in a more comfortable area. There is A staffed, in-house cafeteria which is great. All in all, the amenities are great and the end of year parties are a lot of fun (kudos to HR for arranging and organizing those).

Cons

I take some issue with a few of the other reviews here, especially the recent rash of "grass is greener" comments which smells a lot like an internal prompt to counteract some of the recent poor reviews and the implication that negative reviews are coming from people who were just bad at their jobs.

Synygy is not all bad, but if you really want to develop yourself professionally or grow your career in any significant way you'll hit walls pretty fast, thanks to:

[✓] Almost no training. The company has almost no interest in sponsoring external training or certification for employees to build their expertise, and a recent suggestion to enable employees to get outside training was met with a response from the owner to "just read a book". For a company that touts its expertise in sales compensation consulting, there is a staggeringly low number of people with either sales compensation knowledge, or actual consulting expertise. Training in general has basically been pushed on the middle management and lower levels to create themselves with very little support organizationally.

[✓] Arbitrary promotion paths. Promotions are done annually and require the sign-off of a leadership panel for every individual promotion. If you're unfortunate to get put on a team or group with a manager that won't fight to get you noticed by the upper echelons you're going to have a bad time. Sheer luck of the draw with where you start in the company has an awfully large influence on your promotability, and it's easy to get stigmatized if you don't adhere to the common promotion timelines (which is often completely decoupled from your actual experience).

[✓] Lots of rhetoric, no action. Buzzwords are bandied about, new initiatives are floated, change is discussed. But all of them die ingloriously some way or another. There is a lot of doublespeak when it comes to the company's strategy and future but almost nothing ever takes hold enough to influence the direction one way or another and it's a deeply frustrating experience to try and be involved in that. It's true that everything good comes with some adversity, but there is a limit to what people are willing to take and most people have given up. A lot of people seem to just play along and not raise flags because, especially when the owner is involved, Synygy is definitely a place where the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

[✓] Poor leadership. The owner / CEO, while perhaps a great entrepreneur during the formative years of the company, is terrible at leading a large company (especially when his focus is split between two companies now) and there is a growing sentiment that he's running the company into the ground. He has managed to demean and insult employees to the point that almost no one is willing anymore to engage with him, and pulls the company around on a whim (the latest transition has been to "agility" which has spent the last six months being defined internally to the confusion of a significant percentage of the workforce). The Executive Team are usually left holding the bag here and do what they can, but there is a massive vacuum toward the top of the organization when it comes to practical organizational leadership. A lot of the senior team are smart, great people, but they get stuck spending too much time in damage control and aren't able to really lead the company.

There is a ton of division in the company right now and a lot of good people are leaving because they don't believe in the company any more, or are realizing that it's not a good long term option for them. Communication is just a bandaid here, and the root cause needs to be uncovered and addressed properly.

There has been an injection of new senior leadership recently so maybe that will help correct the company's course but I'm not overly optimistic.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun and lots of growth!

I have been working at Synygy

Pros

The best part of working at Synygy is the ability to have impact from day one. New hires are encouraged to jump in, ask questions, and get involved. You truly have the chance to have an impact on your project if you want it. Along the same lines, you are able to create your own career path. You are able to explore different parts of the business and make your career at Synygy what you want it to be.

HR and company leaders do an amazing job of keeping things fun. There seems to be something going on every week which helps to keep things interesting. Big screens were even set up for the World Cup so we could watch the game! I don't think many other offices made that happen!

Cons

There has been a lot of change recently and with change there are growing pains. Things are settling down now and I'm excited to see how the changes in the 1.5 years will pay off in the future.

When changes are made, make sure this is clearly communicated to employees- both why the change was made and how we will roll out the change.

change is a constant, in a constantly changing industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Synygy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Smart people, doing hard work. HR seems to consistently pick excellent people who a a perfect match for the unique and rewarding culture. of course some dont work out but the ones who do are the reason Synygy is as great as it is. the Synygy culture is what sets it apart from working at just any job. That part is constant. Its the rest of the company that is always on the move, setting trends and staying ahead of the big boys who strolled the path Synygy blazed into this market. Synygy is always on the move to stay ahead of, and help set the curve.

Cons

Trust is hard for the CEO. he is a brilliant man and expects his employees to be the same. But he has a hard time trusting his sr management to take his lead and flow it down through the ranks. he is very hands on and involved.

Not a good company

I worked at Synygy full-time for more than a year

Pros

- LGBT-friendly
    - Flexible hours (on some projects)

Cons

Although there are a few decent managers, the general feeling is that most of the problems are tied to a subpar leadership.
    Evading accountability, scapegoating, favoritism, being contemptuous of clients and other employees and even bullying aren’t rare occurrences and shouldn’t be as rampant as they are here in any professional environment. Any successful piece of a project seems to happen not because, but in spite of an awful management.

Be careful what employment agreement you sign with them and seriously consider the impact it might have on your career. The technology used is quite poor; a lot of home-grown, barely functional applications.

Unfortunately, the poor reviews on Glassdoor reveal exactly what’s going on in this place. Synygy might not be the worst employer you can find (some will disagree on this one), but that doesn’t make it a good or even an average one either.

Sell. Any change starts from the top and it's highly unlikely those will be successful with the current management. It might be more profitable to sell the company now before it becomes completely uninteresting to any potential buyer.

There are still a lot of good people there, who didn’t yet find other jobs - they deserve a far better leadership and work culture - a new owner might be the key to get them.

Great company with smart, fun people.

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chester, PA

I have been working at Synygy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Without a doubt the best part of working at Synygy is the people. Not only are a majority of the people extremely smart, but they are also some of the nicest people you will ever meet. I know that if I have any questions I will be able to find someone who is more than willing to help me out. At Synygy, you are also aligned with a mentor, starting your first day. The mentoring pogram is amazing. My mentor worked with me to make sure I was maintaing good/work life balance and worked to get me opportunities to help me with short and long term career goals.
    It's also just a lot of fun to work at Synygy. The office space is open with tables and couches to have internal meetings. HR puts on a variety of events from Fun Fridays to happy hours and holiday parties. They definitely help foster the team environment and encourage co-worker interaction.

Cons

The work can be demanding. In a client services business, at times we find ourselves at the mercy of our client's timelines. While this may require some additional hours, I feel we are given adequate support. I've never had a late night where my manager and co-workers weren't checking in to see if they could help me out.

Keep communicating. While some people may be resistent to change, those of us who are onboard appreciate being given the full picture.

Be wary of a company that constantly reminds you how great the culture is.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chester, PA

I worked at Synygy full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Decent base salary and easy to understand bonus structure.
    - Bonuses paid quarterly
    - Monthly happy hour parties
    - In general, everyone helps each other out and wants to do a good job.

Cons

- "Great" culture is manufactured by company sponsored events. Definitely not organic. HR does a great job selling the culture during interviews and orientation but doesn't naturally promote it in the day-to-day operations.
    - Cliquish, which is odd for a company supposedly having a great culture. People not even acknowledging you in the hallways or open areas is a common occurrence.
    - Promotions appear to be based on tenure rather than talent. You can make an educated guess as to how long someone has been with the company based on their title.
    - Probably the strictest non-compete and employment agreement I ever had to sign.
    - CEO micromanages just about everyone. New methodologies and organizational structures are introduced on his whim. Timesheets are reported to the tenth of an hour.
    - All corporate tools (intranet, timesheets, etc) are homegrown. No big deal but can stunt your professional development if you're not familiar with widely adopted tools such as Sharepoint you decide to leave the company.
    - New equipment is hard to come by. I saw one instance in which employee had to use a laptop with one letter key not working. You also have to prove your case if you need to use tools such as Visio or MS Project.

- Invest in your workforce. Spend some money on up to date equipment and software.
    - Offer training in areas in addition to your own product offering.
    - Use your pre-interview Personality Questionnaire to identify candidates who will some diversity to the culture.
    - Add some new blood to the management positions. While I'm sure those that are in the VP positions are talented people, they have been with the company the longest. It might be time to get some fresh ideas and a new take on things.
    - Allow employees to rate the executive team during the quarterly peer reviews to get a better insight of the day in the life of a Synygy Consultant

Run fast, this company is failing and will screw you.

I have been working at Synygy full-time

Pros

There are some really nice and decent people here. I made some personal friends with some of my colleagues.

Cons

All these 5 and 4 stars reviews are lies written by HR. I learnt from a colleague that HR are commanded by CEO to do so on Glassdoor because our rating has been dropping so quickly...

1) If you want to work 7 days a week with no overtime pay, this is the place for you. They will force you to "voluntarily" work over the weekends and you get absolutely nothing. When you argue it, they gave answers that they should really be ashamed of, "well we have some fun company events". With a compensation and benefits package that is already below the industry average, forcing you to sacrifice your personal time would just make you lose all motivations. Ironically, one of Synygy's specialities is incentive management.

2) Spying culture. You have to be really cautious about everything you say here. HR are the worst. If they want to see you, congrats, you are probably fired. They do basic stuff and can get paid 100k+ while it may be never possible for you to get to that number. Co-worker evaluations will directly affect your bonus. I have been here long enough to no longer care about it.

3) Nepotism. Some people got in because they are relatives of the "popular" people here. Popular means you have a good relationship with HR and senior management. There are some slackers around who come late and leave early and get paid higher then you.

4) They will intentionally screw your life. I know someone who has worked for Synygy for a long time, and accepted another offer from a much better company. He was honest enough to tell Synygy his new job, and Synygy threatened to sue him because he was going to work for a "competitor". That "competitor" is not a real competitor. A few quarters ago, our CEO suddenly claimed that we were no longer a software company but a consulting company. Suddenly, our competitors became Deloitte, Accenture and all these big names. But literally, it's like a small local grocery shop vs Walmart, and our practices are so narrow that we can't even pass the qualification round to be a potential competitor. You can't just claim those are your competitors when you can't substantiate it. Finally, that person gave up the offer.

I have been here for a long time. Synygy was once a good company, but now it is a big NO.

CEO is absolutely the biggest mistake. Directions are unrealistic and inconsistent. CEO is self-indulged and only listens to agreements. His comments on different opinions can be insulting and disrespectful. He wants to find a panacea to all problems without paying any money, and it doesn't take a business degree to know that is a joke. Rumors are around. His support rate is really low, but no one dares to disagree with him.

Great Place to Work

I worked at Synygy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fun, relaxed environment. Makes it easy to collaborate with smart, driven people. They give opportunities to grow within the company with projects and roles that interest the individual. Management is very supportive of their employees.

Cons

Generally a very young workforce. There is a general "grass is greener" mentality from people that have little to no professional experience outside of Synygy. This sometimes causes morale issues and unnecessary complaining. Seems like most of the negative reviews are the result of this and/or people who just weren't very good at their jobs.

Continue to focus on the positives. Go with your gut feeling...it's typically right.

Worked for Synygy? Contribute to the Community!