Synygy

Stay away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chester, PA

I worked at Synygy full-time

Pros

There are a few:
    - the office is nice
    - cafeteria
    - a few friendly people

Cons

Too many:
    - Disastrous management.
    - Almost everyone’s morale is extremely low.
    - The company has a pretty bad reputation in the SPM arena and a lot of clients already left or are looking at other vendors
    - This is definitely not a good, safe, long-term job; if you have a mortgage or kids or anything like that, stay away
    - Terminations are sometimes fair and employees with a long history of poor performance are eliminated, but not always. You’ll hear some disturbing stories about former employees who disagreed with the wrong manager / the kind of terminations meant to serve as a warning for anyone who dares to speak up
    - Promotions are also questionable. There seems to be a constant fear that your job is at risk, so executives try to eliminate managers that might rise up and become a threat, managers do the same thing with consultants. It's not a good place to stand out and be recognized as a great performer, you'll attract a lot of opposition
    - HR is terrible - spying, spreading rumors, playing favorites for friends
    - Their software isn’t up to par with what the competition offers and the pipeline doesn’t look great
    - The experience you gain here isn't that good either. You’ll become an expert of a technology that’s full of bugs and doesn't sell well + you can’t use your exposure to sales performance management because of the non-compete clause

Synygy is not a good choice, even for a fresh grad

Quit? Sell? I can’t see other options.

All Hail the Malevolent Dictator

I worked at Synygy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are definitely the biggest pro here. You will get an opportunity to work with a lot of really intelligent people, with great ideas on how to make things better here. People will work with you to learn new things, and you can seek out opportunities on subjects you may be interested.

The cafe is great, bringing back Chef is one of the best things they've done.

Cons

But monthly happy hours and solstice parties don't make up for all the shortcomings. They will hard sell it to you in the interview- beware.

The CEO is the biggest negative. He runs the company like a dictatorship. He keeps bringing in new VPs and then when they suggest ideas that don't agree with his own he crushes their spirits until they are fired, leave or just become ineffective and give up. Everyone is afraid to stand up to him.

This also causes constant turnover, with a large majority of the employees having lasted less than 5 years.

The company growth is stagnant, the CEO has been floundering- constantly reorganizing the company (because he read some great HBS/MIT article that week) in hopes it will make a difference when he is the biggest problem. The CEO says he wants to improve things and make investments, but any time you suggest adding a product from a third party he suggests building it in our software. You want to do your best to help our clients but all his rules and changes don't allow it. It's not agile to suggest training new employees is a waste of time. Also if you travel for client work, congratulations you are "staying in a room with the CEO" because he requires all of us to use his rewards numbers.

HR walks around like a roving pack of mean girls. They had meetings about wanting to increase communication and then mysteriously a review appeared on Glassdoor giving the company 5 stars and suggesting the same. The CEO also made a post on our social networking site about "addressing the negative reviews on Glassdoor". You can't tell HR anything or trust them. They say there is work flexibility, meanwhile they sit by the doors to TH glaring at you if you come in late or leave early and will tell on you to your mentor/manager even though they have no insight whatsoever into how you are spending your time.

Benefits are a joke, there's a laughable 401k match and the health plan is a HDHP. You accrue days off 2 per month but none if there's holidays in that month that take them up. Homegrown intranet apps are dated and the team that supports them constantly making mistakes, and hard to reach since they're based out of India.

There's no hope for this company with the CEO running in, he's proven time and time again he's not interested in anyone's opinions but his own and those who agree with him.

Terrible, terrible company. I should have looked at the other reviews before I accepted.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Chester, PA

I have been working at Synygy full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The only pros I can think of is that it teaches you a company can make up any reason whatsoever to fire you. I took my experience there as a life-lesson and it made me realize to do more research on a company before I accept a position.

Cons

I was told this was an entry-level position where I would be trained in every aspect when I started. I was not. I am being 100% truthful. I don't want readers to think I am making this up because I am bitter with how things ended. I want people to take this review seriously and think long and hard about this job. I was put on an implementation using their proprietary software and told to complete tasks with no instruction. The most senior person on my team had been there for 3 months and he had no idea how to do the tasks I was given either. I would have given my manager a bad review if i wasn't afraid of retaliation since I was a new hire. Giving him a good review made no difference. My manager refused to show me how to do things in the system, instead telling me to "have confidence to make mistakes" or "dig deeper into the details" and to consult the Help guide. I was given no warning I was being let go. I just got called into a room by HR and the director of my team and told i wasn't showing initiative or taking ownership. They could provide no concrete examples of what i was doing poorly. I asked them if i could be switched to another team or given a week to perform better and was denied. Again, I was never placed on a warning for my work or under the impression that I was performing unsatisfactorily. I reached out for help multiple times and was denied. I have never, ever been fired from a job before and I have never felt the need to write a review about a company. I wish I had read the reviews on here before I accepted. Please read all the reviews before you accept!

No advice, i've wasted enough time already.

Sales

Former Employee - Sales in Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Sales in Chester, PA

I worked at Synygy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Peers are great people to work with.

Cons

Terrible Management
    Poor Leadership
    Summary Terminations
    Lack of respect for associates and their families
    Product is Smoke and Mirrors & as soon as an employee figures this out they are terminated

The people working for you have families to support. Your lack of concern for your staffs welfare, your nonchalant terminations have created a culture that will make the quicksand they have landed in bring even the best employees to seek employment elsewhere. Everyone quickly learns termination is inevitable so better to leave before you get bored with them and let them go.
    Worst Company to work for

Too bad

I have been working at Synygy full-time

Pros

As many other reviews have mentioned this is a great first job out of college.

Cons

This was a great company with great potential. There has been a history of getting rid of anybody in management that has the ability to lead (and dares to push back at upper management). This has escalated in the last few years and now there is nobody left.

Bring in an executive coach for management and then actually listen and implement the advice given. Decide on a path for the company and stick with it.

Challenging experince, but lots of learning and growth.

Former Employee - Consultant in Chester, PA

I worked at Synygy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Office culture is pretty fun. Lots of smart young(ish) people with common interests. Some opportunity to travel abroad to visit global offices and meet foreign co-workers when they come to the US. Internal training.

Cons

Little input into assignments for areas of interest. Very long hours at times with stress. Company was trying a one-size fits all approach to employee development, but I believe they have changed course some. Pay was not commesurate with the complexity and volume of work.

Frequent strategy changes can be confusing and disruptive to employees.

Baptism by Fire

I worked at Synygy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Honestly, this is a great place if you are just starting out or if you want to round out your professional experience early in a career. You will be exposed to a demanding client facing work environment and will have your hands in meaningful projects even as a junior team member. Moreover, there are some really good people here at all levels. Due in no small part to their applicant screening, I also found that my colleagues were at the very least intelligent. Lastly, the company made concerted efforts to boost morale with monthly events (Herberts) and fantastic winter solstice parties.

Cons

If you're not one to force boundaries between your personal and work life, this is not the place for you. You can easily be putting in 50-60 hour weeks with more left to do at the end of it. That is just the nature of the work. There will always be the crisis du jour. While the initial salary offering was a good base, I found that the raises were low even with eventual promotion. In short, the long hours fostered burnout and the lack of reward for good/hard work was demotivating. This is normal stuff and I don't think this is an isolated experience at Synygy. However, it is something to be aware of if you are seeking a position here. Like I said, this strikes me as a good place to start out or round out your experience before moving on. To put this in a positive lite, work life will be a breeze once you've had your Baptism by Fire at Synygy.

At this very moment, I see employee morale as a major issue that will eventually catch up with the company if not addressed as a legitimate concern. Synygy is currently losing a lot of good people that would have stuck around if they were just a little more hopeful about the health of their careers and felt personally invested in the future success of the company. If the company feels that the level of churn is unsustainable, they should move quick to identify and reward those that remain loyal and productive.

Not good for the long haul

I have been working at Synygy full-time

Pros

There are lot of very talented, loyal and hard-working people to BE found working at Synygy; mind you, a lot of this is loyalty to one another but not the company specifically. The culture / office is pretty relaxed when it comes to working remotely if needed, bending your hours a little bit as required, or moving away from your desk and working in a more comfortable area. There is A staffed, in-house cafeteria which is great. All in all, the amenities are great and the end of year parties are a lot of fun (kudos to HR for arranging and organizing those).

Cons

I take some issue with a few of the other reviews here, especially the recent rash of "grass is greener" comments which smells a lot like an internal prompt to counteract some of the recent poor reviews and the implication that negative reviews are coming from people who were just bad at their jobs.

Synygy is not all bad, but if you really want to develop yourself professionally or grow your career in any significant way you'll hit walls pretty fast, thanks to:

[✓] Almost no training. The company has almost no interest in sponsoring external training or certification for employees to build their expertise, and a recent suggestion to enable employees to get outside training was met with a response from the owner to "just read a book". For a company that touts its expertise in sales compensation consulting, there is a staggeringly low number of people with either sales compensation knowledge, or actual consulting expertise. Training in general has basically been pushed on the middle management and lower levels to create themselves with very little support organizationally.

[✓] Arbitrary promotion paths. Promotions are done annually and require the sign-off of a leadership panel for every individual promotion. If you're unfortunate to get put on a team or group with a manager that won't fight to get you noticed by the upper echelons you're going to have a bad time. Sheer luck of the draw with where you start in the company has an awfully large influence on your promotability, and it's easy to get stigmatized if you don't adhere to the common promotion timelines (which is often completely decoupled from your actual experience).

[✓] Lots of rhetoric, no action. Buzzwords are bandied about, new initiatives are floated, change is discussed. But all of them die ingloriously some way or another. There is a lot of doublespeak when it comes to the company's strategy and future but almost nothing ever takes hold enough to influence the direction one way or another and it's a deeply frustrating experience to try and be involved in that. It's true that everything good comes with some adversity, but there is a limit to what people are willing to take and most people have given up. A lot of people seem to just play along and not raise flags because, especially when the owner is involved, Synygy is definitely a place where the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

[✓] Poor leadership. The owner / CEO, while perhaps a great entrepreneur during the formative years of the company, is terrible at leading a large company (especially when his focus is split between two companies now) and there is a growing sentiment that he's running the company into the ground. He has managed to demean and insult employees to the point that almost no one is willing anymore to engage with him, and pulls the company around on a whim (the latest transition has been to "agility" which has spent the last six months being defined internally to the confusion of a significant percentage of the workforce). The Executive Team are usually left holding the bag here and do what they can, but there is a massive vacuum toward the top of the organization when it comes to practical organizational leadership. A lot of the senior team are smart, great people, but they get stuck spending too much time in damage control and aren't able to really lead the company.

There is a ton of division in the company right now and a lot of good people are leaving because they don't believe in the company any more, or are realizing that it's not a good long term option for them. Communication is just a bandaid here, and the root cause needs to be uncovered and addressed properly.

There has been an injection of new senior leadership recently so maybe that will help correct the company's course but I'm not overly optimistic.

Good Beginner Company

I worked at Synygy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people to work with.
    For a fresh graduate or entry-level person a great environment to learn and grow.
    Some incredibly talented group of people that you will find to work with.

Cons

Low salaries with huge expectations and working hours
    Lack of Training
    Growth is limited

Compensate and reward people per industry standards

change is a constant, in a constantly changing industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Synygy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Smart people, doing hard work. HR seems to consistently pick excellent people who a a perfect match for the unique and rewarding culture. of course some dont work out but the ones who do are the reason Synygy is as great as it is. the Synygy culture is what sets it apart from working at just any job. That part is constant. Its the rest of the company that is always on the move, setting trends and staying ahead of the big boys who strolled the path Synygy blazed into this market. Synygy is always on the move to stay ahead of, and help set the curve.

Cons

Trust is hard for the CEO. he is a brilliant man and expects his employees to be the same. But he has a hard time trusting his sr management to take his lead and flow it down through the ranks. he is very hands on and involved.

Synygy Photos