Syracuse University

Syracuse University Reviews in Syracuse, NY

Updated Jun 28, 2014

Syracuse University Chancellor & President Kent Syverud

Kent Syverud

Pros
  • The cost of living in the area is pretty cheap(in 4 reviews)

• The best part is we learn a lot while working on projects(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • there are no cons to working at Syracuse University(in 4 reviews)

• Very low pay and sometimes you feel you are just a slave who needs to get his work done(in 3 reviews)

79 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Satisfied MS Teaching Assistant

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsI have enjoyed teaching undergraduates at Syracuse University. Being a Teaching Assistant provides a lot of personal growth experience and is easily balanced between other school work and my research.

ConsThe undergraduates at Syracuse University do not care very much about their grades or academics. The department I was a teaching assistant for seemed to be divided among faculty between the priorities of research/publication and effective education.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide the tools needed for teaching assistants to effectively do their jobs while giving us flexibility to teach lesson plans as we see effective. There needs to be more innovation in teaching than there currently is.

Research Assitant

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsSyracuse is a city that you can conveniently get around. The school have a very liberal environment. Some program is quite nicely designed.

ConsThere's not much going on around here.

Phenomenal

Lab Instructor (Current Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsGreat University, Ton of fun

ConsThere are no cons for Syracuse, other than its cold.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

instructor

Instructor (Current Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsProfessors are very nice and helpful.

ConsBalance the job and study

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training

Graduate Student Teaching Assistant (Engineering Department)

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsRelatively good pay for research / teaching assistants (RAs, TAs) in the engineering college, with a good mix of high-profile projects to choose from. Good health care packages available to student employees (SU Blue).

ConsLimited resources available to student researchers (i.e. restricted machine shop, few usable high-power computers, etc.). Limited spread of courses in mechanical / aerospace engineering department for graduate students.

Syracuse University - some good, some bad, and lots of administrators with side pet projects

Assistant Professor (Former Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsStrong faculty, varied but acceptable student body, good facilities. The campus is pretty.
    Cost of living in Syracuse is very low, and there is a reasonable amount to do. Lovely parks and regional attractions.
    The new chancellor looks promising.

ConsThe biggest problem when I was there was continuing administrative bloat, both in terms of numbers and the side projects that are only loosely (if at all) related to academics. This drew time, attention, money, and other resources away from academics.

Syracuse the city is very poor with a fairly high crime rate. Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of snow.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the core mission of the university - pedagogy and high quality research and scholarship.

I work as a part-time student Teaching Assistant here, our University is so cool.

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsBe a TA is quite challenging and that makes me know much more about database! As the course is talking about database management.

ConsIt's a small city here and heavily snowy.

IT Position at Syracuse University

Computer Systems Administrator (Current Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsChallenging environment to work with faculty.
    Energetic campus environment
    Great benefits

ConsLower pay compared with industry

Always an experience

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsPlenty of people to meet and activities to join, excellent partnership with SUNY ESF next door, plenty of funding for STEM graduate students. Low cost of living. Plenty of Syracuse pride. Good benefits for students.

ConsLocation, location, location. Snowy, windy, wet in the winter, hot and humid in the summer. Lesser reputation than nearby neighbor, Cornell University. Typical academic infighting.

Work Study, Fair Pay

MDA (Current Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsEmployer realizes you're a student.

ConsMay not get many hours.

Worked for Syracuse University? Contribute to the Community!