Syracuse University

Syracuse University Reviews in Syracuse, NY

Updated Jun 28, 2014

Syracuse University Chancellor & President Kent Syverud

Kent Syverud

Pros
  • The cost of living in the area is pretty cheap(in 4 reviews)

• The best part is we learn a lot while working on projects(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • there are no cons to working at Syracuse University(in 4 reviews)

• Very low pay and sometimes you feel you are just a slave who needs to get his work done(in 3 reviews)

79 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place. Enjoy life!!!

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsAcademic environment, Work with young students, discover new ideas from any areas

ConsMuch snow!!! It may not be a problem if you like a peace and quiet place.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is a academic place. Just try any everything before graduating. Enjoy life.

Great Place to go

Student Supervisor (Current Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsThe school is full of great help if you are in media, politics areas of study.

ConsWeather is sever there and focus too much on athletes

RSA

Residential Security (Former Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsConvenient for students with work study

ConsUnusual working hours, minimum wage job

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best time of my life

Team Manager (Current Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsWorking with my staff is something I look forward to every day. Not only is the staff that I work with great, but the kids are great as well. I have made some friends I will have for the rest of my life and if it wasn't for Syracuse University, things wouldn't have been the same.

ConsA bit time consuming, it sometimes affects my studies but I manage to do well.

Easy work but have fun

Office Assistant (Former Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsThey do have many professional equipments which could let employees learn lots of things

ConsJobs like receiving phone calls and some simple fix of computer are too easy.

Advice to Senior Managementcommunication is good, keep it.

The admin "side of the house" - which is definitely looked at as second class w/ nothing but overhead to contribute

Senior Accountant (Former Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsGreat retirement contributions, fairly collaborative environment, an ability (although sometimes difficult, to say the least) to contributing excellent service!

ConsAdmin staff is seen by campus community & academic C-suite as the lowest of the low, not seen as necessary to achieve the university's mission, seen as obstructions to "get around"

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize & publicly support the dedicated (not to mention absolutely necessary) staff performing administrative functions, look to the academics & academic support as well as the numerous ( mainly academic) VP positions increasingly created

Not too bad, but no prize pig

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsEasy atmosphere to be in if you steer clear of department drama and campus politics. Hard to disappoint your boss, especially when tasks at this campus are typically regular and mundane.

ConsCan't move up. There is a lot of tension between coworkers at times of change. Not much room to grow and learn new things. People don't like change there, even if it is for the better.

Large and efficient

Anonymous (Former Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsUniversity knows what it's doing, and has the reputation and expertise to get things done. It is an exciting, forward thinking place to be (or at least was, under Cantor's leadership; I have no experience with the new chancellor).

ConsHuge size can make it unwieldy to get new things done, and a dean with capricious or preferential priorities can wreak havoc on individual departments, slashing budgets and undervaluing work in a field he/she doesn't understand.

Advice to Senior ManagementDepartments know what they need. Listen to them.

Teaching Assistant

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsIt's great experience, and you can learn a lot.

Consno cons I can think of

Much ado about Syracuse

General Employee (Current Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsHours are flexible and the salary isn't bad for a student's wage at the university

ConsThe boss treats everyone like her slaves while she does nothing

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating the students like personal slaves as well as playing favorite

Worked for Syracuse University? Contribute to the Community!