Syracuse University Reviews

Reset
3.9
Syracuse University Chancellor & President Kent Syverud
Kent Syverud

Pros
  • The teaching salaries are better than other area colleges, and there are great benefits to teaching at a school with such resources (in 7 reviews)

• Cost of living in Syracuse is very low, and there is a reasonable amount to do (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay and sometimes you feel you are just a slave who needs to get his work done (in 4 reviews)

• Not much room to grow and learn new things (in 3 reviews)

1. Syracuse University is a great place to work!

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Syracuse, NY

Pros

There were great benefits - tuition, health, dental, 403b, work-life opportunities, charity work, etc.

Cons

Advancement opportunities are there, but it is very competitive. So many people want to work there for the education benefits.

Advice to Management

The College of Law has great senior management.

2. An employer that truly values its employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

Pros

Benefits package is comprehensive, and very generous. Very healthy attitude towards family/work life balance. The students overall have a better attitude and work ethic than at the state school I was at before - SLIGHTLY better.

Cons

Syracuse seems fairly well managed overall compared to other universities I have been with. I dislike the culture of grant-seeking as a performance measure, especially because my research would not be enhanced by obtaining grants. However this is more a complaint about academia in general rather than SU in particular.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

3. Nice experience being a graduate assistance

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Syracuse University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very nice environment. Low living expense. Good pay. The work load is not heavy. Learn a lot different academic areas.

Cons

Winter may be a little bit long.

5. An organization that combines detailed training, with life-long relationships, and service oriented work.

Current Employee - Personnel Supervisor in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Personnel Supervisor in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Syracuse University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every employee is passionate and dedicated beyond expected to their work at SUA. They go above and beyond in providing for the Syracuse University community. The organization consistently wins awards nationally and is ranked as one of the best student run ambulance organizations in the country.

Cons

Student employees can only work for as long as they are a student, and then must move on to another job.

6. Great work experience, flexible scheduling, great HR staff

Former Employee - Student Supervisor in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Student Supervisor in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Syracuse University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Backed by University Advancement and salary structure Freedom to pursue your own projects Direct deposit system and timely error correction

Cons

If you are working as a student employee, there aren't really a lot of benefits and the starting salary is usually pretty low.

Advice to Management

Depends on the department, usually very willing to help

7. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Syracuse University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health Insurance Coverage (including dental!) Tuition Paid

Cons

Must be self motivated - professors won't seek you out (at least in my department).

Advice to Management

Work out the fellowship disbursements. They're late and we don't know when we get paid.

8. Great

Current Employee - Student Consultant in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Student Consultant in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Syracuse University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good working environment Recognition of work Satisfactory pay

Cons

limited growth no more than this

9. Like one big orange family.

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Syracuse University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at SU has been a fantastic experience. Everybody in my department has been incredibly welcoming and kind. When I first came to SU in 2010, many others in my department gave me suggestions on where to go and took me out to the more notable restaurants in town. Though I know many university positions are department-specific and, thus, you would mostly be dealing with others in your department, my experiences with people in other departments has been equally as pleasing.

Cons

I think one of the major issues with SU has to do with parking. Of course, this is an issue at many large universities, however it seems that wherever you might park on campus, you'll have a good-sized walk through the snow (during winter, of course) to get to where you need to be. I don't know how that situation could ever be rectified, though. I think some of the buildings could certainly be updated on the inside.

Advice to Management

Update the insides of the older buildings (but keep the beautiful facades). It would also be easier to perform some of the day-to-day tasks with payroll and parking if those offices were located on the main campus.

10. Good

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Syracuse University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good experience for me over 2 years.

Cons

I see no disturbing disadvantages.

11. Reminded me what a good workplace is like.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Syracuse, NY
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Syracuse University as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Administration has their collective heads on right. Creative, forward-thinking workplace that encourages people to contribute their ideas. Priorities focused on people--students, researchers, employees--and delivering a good experience to the client. Competitive pay. Excellent benefits, including tuition remission. A strong sense of community and civic engagement. The students! Ambitious, enthusiastic and involved with the school.

Cons

Things are a bit wobbly currently (2012-2013) as a lot of administrative changes are happening. A number of colleges and areas in the university have had a growth spike that's left things chaotic as they scramble to re-organize and adapt.

RSS Feed </> Embed