Syracuse University

Syracuse University Reviews in Syracuse, NY

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Syracuse University Chancellor & President Kent Syverud

Kent Syverud

Pros
  • The cost of living in the area is pretty cheap (in 4 reviews)

• The best part is we learn a lot while working on projects (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • there are no cons to working at Syracuse University (in 4 reviews)

• Very low pay and sometimes you feel you are just a slave who needs to get his work done (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights
80 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great workplace

Designer II (Current Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsTerrific benefits, vacation time, atmosphere co-workers

ConsSlow paced, not much room for growth

Advice to Senior ManagementI thought that my managers were doing a great job. I learned a lot from them.

Not an easy place to work

Director (Current Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsThey are the largest employer in Syracuse and they have a good benefit package. It is also true that once you get a job, it is very hard to lose it as a manager.

ConsIt is almost impossible to advance if you are good at your current position. I have tried for over 4 years to move to another department or school for a better position and I get the interview but never the position. The pay rate can be very low.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people a opportunity or create a mentor program for people who want to advance to a higher position.

Employee for over 25 years, Have seen a lot of changes both good and bad.

Financial Aid (Current Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsGreat benefits, tuition, health, dental, flextime, etc.

ConsSalary inconsistencies. Too much political BS, not enough concern for the employees, and the affect decisions have on their overall well being.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within, listen to all levels of employees, not only management. Award raises based on MERIT not straight across the board!!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Reminded me what a good workplace is like.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsAdministration has their collective heads on right.
    Creative, forward-thinking workplace that encourages people to contribute their ideas.
    Priorities focused on people--students, researchers, employees--and delivering a good experience to the client.
    Competitive pay.
    Excellent benefits, including tuition remission.
    A strong sense of community and civic engagement.
    The students! Ambitious, enthusiastic and involved with the school.

ConsThings are a bit wobbly currently (2012-2013) as a lot of administrative changes are happening.
    A number of colleges and areas in the university have had a growth spike that's left things chaotic as they scramble to re-organize and adapt.

Ok to work for if you are a "yes sir" kind of person

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsBenefits package, pay rate was ok considering the other benefits you get including free education. A lot of different departments you can work under.

ConsCan be very cut throat. Management doesn't care about their employees advancing and bettering themselves, they only care about themselves. It can be very clicky and University contributions to benefits are on the decline.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your employees, take care of them and they will take care of you.

Good

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsGood experience for me over 2 years.

ConsI see no disturbing disadvantages.

Interesting time for an interesting place

Manager (Current Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsGreat people
    Great benefits
    Great to be a part of a University

ConsGoing through a lot of change right now

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize a more participative management approach; Obtain input from all employees (faculty and staff); Develop a more proactive approach to managing the University

RSA

RSA (Current Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsWork on your own work at the same time

Conssome shift requires staying up late

Stable and steady employment

Computer Consultant (Current Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsJob security is high, and the university provides a highly stable job environment. Benefits are competitive, and the workplace is relatively laid back. Room to advance is easily available if you are interested in "sidegrades", as the same positions appear across campus and moving to a different department or school can net you a few thousand dollars more with the new position.

ConsLayers of bureaucracy (Staff side of university) lead to innovation taking a long period of time, Wages on the lower end of the scale compared to state/national average

Syracuse University

Director (Current Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsSenior management that has ignored infrastructure and university issues is leaving.
    Lots of opportunities to improve and make a real impact.
    Higher Education is changing so it is exciting to be involved in those changes.
    So many different areas you can work in at the university that it gives people a lot more flexibility to try out different types of jobs and find your own calling

ConsPolitics at the higher management level is worse than corporate america.
    Sometimes the size of the organization makes it move very slowly but this could be because of current management which is leaving.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that everyone is on the same page before implementing or you will be stopped and your progress will be halted.

Worked for Syracuse University? Contribute to the Community!