Syringa Networks

www.syringanetworks.net

Syringa Networks Reviews

3.6

Greg Lowe

A great place to show what you're made of!

I have been working at Syringa Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My observation of this company is that they hire the best and then get out of their way! This works great if you are self initiated which I am. The benefits are awesome, some of the best out there in fact. The company puts a lot of emphasis on integrity and I just love that about them. There is a sense of unity with my co-workers that I haven't experienced elsewhere and it seems that most employees are happy to work here. I'm very fortunate to have the opportunities I've been given while working for Syringa Networks and I've grown and learned so much since I was hired. If you are looking for a challenge and appreciate mentorship from executives and upper management, this is a great place to get it. My experience is they do their best to develop their employees. If an employee is struggling to gain their footing, upper management seems more than happy to help get that person back on track where another company might simply let that employee go. That is important to me because it shows that the company puts great value in its employees and appreciates what they bring to the table.

Cons

Every company has cons depending on whom you ask, when you ask them and how the project is going that they are currently working on.

None

An honest company with vision

I have been working at Syringa Networks full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are exceptional, best I've ever seen. The company has a vision, has drive, and holds it's employees to 3 core values: Partnership, Community, Integrity. These things are what is keeping this company growing, and will make it successful.

Cons

Personalities and management styles of upper mgt are polarizing. You will either appreciate it, or get offended. This is the only reason why some former employees might be complaining.

They are already working on this, but there is a need to update employee on-boarding process as there is a lack of instruction for new employees.

Consider yourself warned

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I worked at Syringa Networks full-time

Pros

Lots of great people work there, company has a way of recruiting great employees. Benefits are really good and relatively inexpensive, decent PTO and many departments are flexible. Able to work from home...

Cons

Able to work from home...in addition to your regular hours. In a nutshell, it's a job in a town with a crappy economy. They pay as little as possible for most positions and there is no set raise schedule (in other words there are no raises). No work-life balance, middle management chokes on an "atta boy". The CEO is only concerned with profit and will do anything to get his numbers, despite a 20% attrition rate. Gets great talent but can't keep them more than a year or two. It's sad because there was potential to this company and great talent but it's being wasted.

Get new leadership, someone more concerned with quality than lining their own pockets.

Horrible company. No ethics. Terrible turnover. Bad management.

I worked at Syringa Networks full-time

Pros

Time off is the only good thing.

Cons

Everything else. Micro management from the top down. Good old boy club. No recognition for anyone except engineering or sales. Expected to sell your soul to the company. Greg Lowe, the CEO, does not care anything for his employees, only his bottom line. He has no issue working employees to death and not rewarding. He actually said in a company meeting that unless you're willing to give up your life and family for the company, you're not going to advance. Over 20% attrition rate a year.

Fire Greg, Rick, Ron, Larry, and Bachchi. Horrible managers and people.

Company, Team, Individual. In that order.

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Boise, ID

I have been working at Syringa Networks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Strong company growth, even through recession.

Fast pace, network footprint will roughly double in size by 2013

Bleeding edge, at least for the area.

Unbelievably good insurance, especially if you have a family.

Locations in Boise and Salt Lake City, so good for outdoor enthusiasts.

Cons

Salaried employees will end up working way more than 40 hours a week if they don't set clear boundaries. Tier 1 and 2 support consists of warm bodies answering the phone, so the burden of troubleshooting falls on the engineering team.

You have dogs, not kids. It shows in your management style.

Solid, aggressively expanding, customer-centered, employee-appreciating, solution-oriented company.

I have been working at Syringa Networks full-time

Pros

-Customer-centered business
    -Unbeatable employee benefits (e.g. LASIK, ID theft protection, high 401k matching % , health, dental, life, etc.)
    -Relaxed but focused work environment
    -Aggressive and intelligent leaders who enabled the company survive and thrive during a recession
    -The products and services offered are high-tech, greatly needed by businesses, and will be needed for the foreseeable future.

Cons

-There are only office locations in Idaho and Utah (although the expanding fiber-optic network may necessitate more offices in surrounding states in the future).

Keep doing what you are doing. Syringa Networks is an awesome company to work for.

Nice people.

I have been working at Syringa Networks part-time

Pros

Small company with a wide variety of work.

Cons

Compensation is low compared to other companies.