Sysco Reviews

Updated September 10, 2014
3.1

Sysco President & CEO Bill DeLaney
Bill DeLaney

Pros
  • Corporate office in Houston has made strides in creating work-life balance for employees (in 9 reviews)

• Good people who are willing to be helpful (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life Balance for exempt employees is too far skewed towards work (in 6 reviews)

• There is minimal room for advancement (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

changing

Current Employee - Marketing Associate  in  New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Sysco full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

interaction with customers. Restaurant owners, chefs, managers. Freedom, not tied to a desk.

Cons

On call to customers all hours. no boundaries. Changing industry, very competitive. You are only as good to management as last quarter sales. customer loyalty is low. Collecting money can be difficult,

Stop messing with commission grid. What happened to all of our incentive trips, contests and bonuses? with all of the changes we have become order takers, not sales people. We can't sample, we can't even find product info. No job security. We have lost our edge.

don't care about the customer

Former Employee - Marketing Associate (Sales Representative )  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate (Sales Representative ) in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Sysco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits, stock options, size of the company, ability to make a good living. Flexibility on the schedule, weekends and holidays off.

Cons

Middle management doesn't appear to care about the customer, some employees are dishonest. The acquisition is making everyone nervous.

Focus more on the customer.

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Department Secretary  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Department Secretary in Houston, TX

I worked at Sysco full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Stability, great benefits, afforded me with the ability to learn new things and gain greater skills, allowed me to continue my education - I was blessed with the opportunity to work for some really great people / great talents. Flexible and empathetic.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say - no cons.

N/A

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work is fast past and stressful.

Current Employee - Agreements Administrator  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Agreements Administrator in Houston, TX

I have been working at Sysco full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can self educate yourself with there online classes offer.

Cons

In my area process is always changing.

Be more open with employees.

Used to be a good place to work. Now there's no job security and weak management.

Former Employee - Marketing Associate (Sales Representative )  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate (Sales Representative ) in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Sysco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent benefits, money can be good depending on where you work, stock options are good since that's where they focus resources

Cons

Commission plans change every year and keep reducing MA income, no job security, greatly reduced product offering over past 1.5 years, regularly cutting commissions, firing a lot people in the past six months since new leadership moved in (OpCo-specific), short-sighted upper management at OpCo level, corporate leadership clueless about what happens at the customer level, seasoned sales staff and lower-level management getting fired to bring in less experienced MAs and management who take less pay, slow implementation of any new policy. SPECIFICALLY FOR MAs: working 6-7 days a week can be tough if you have a family, Christmas and Thanksgiving are the only holidays you get off and even those are questionable if you have customer deliveries the next day.

Before working for Sysco, I had been working with them in restaurants since I was 15. I had always been impressed by the longevity of employment there because almost every employee I met showed pride in where they worked and talked about how long they'd been with Sysco. Now it seems like they just say how long they have until retirement, if they don't get fired first.

Crazy

Current Employee - Order Selector  in  Pleasant Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Order Selector in Pleasant Grove, CA

I have been working at Sysco full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fast paced, Environment where competing with yourself to meet goal times is all part of the job!
    Good Money!
    Abundancy of hours 65+
    Good system.
    Good workout.

Cons

Its Physically Demanding like none other!
    The goal times are almost impossible to meet "The Standard"
    No free time in your personal life.

Switch to 4-10's
    Happy workers are a good thing.

Try not to burn out your employees so fast that you cant even hire 100 guys and keep them there.
    Other than that, Management is very very helpful and encouraging.

Sysco Foods Corporation

I worked at Sysco full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent company to work for!

Cons

I do not have any concerns to list.

Keep up the great work!

No opportunity to be financially comfortable

Current Employee - Marketing Associate (Sales Representative )  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate (Sales Representative ) in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Sysco full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good people who are willing to be helpful. Good trainer but he should have more control over what he trains on; topics seem to be controlled by management. Annual and quaterly recognition for meeting sales goals.

Cons

Inadequate technology systems. Micro-management by leadership. Expected to use your own car and pay for your own cell phone for work but without any reimbursement. Pay is average but seriously inadequate for the hours and the effort this job requires. No room for advancement. Constant changes to pay plans - felt like I couldn't plan a personal budget that would be accurate for very long.

upgrade the technology system. Trust the people you hire to do the gob you hired them for. Stop overwhelming your employees for reports and micro-management.

Large corporation, poor communication and constantly changing. Departments are not insync with each other

Current Employee - Director  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at Sysco full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Job security is very stable. Company does not perform layoffs or hasnt in years. Growth is all through acquistion at this time.

Cons

Poor communication between Corporate office and variosu subsidiaries of different of business. Although Corporate intiatives seem to be in sync, the various departments implementing/deploying them, do not communicate with each other, which leads to confusion at the end point.

Diversed group of people to work with

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist  in  Cypress, TX
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Cypress, TX

I worked at Sysco as a contractor

Pros

Prolifically growing company, constantly acquiring new companies.

Cons

Not sure i was just hired

Worked for Sysco? Contribute to the Community!