Sysco Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
3.1

Sysco President & CEO Bill DeLaney
Bill DeLaney

Pros
  • Corporate office in Houston has made strides in creating work-life balance for employees (in 9 reviews)

• Good people who are willing to be helpful (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life Balance for exempt employees is too far skewed towards work (in 6 reviews)

• There is minimal room for advancement (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people to work with

I have been working at Sysco full-time

Pros

A lot of opportunity if you are willing to relocate

Cons

Salaries could be better, the cost of living is increassing

Get Back in the streets to see what your employees do day in and day out

Has been a big learning experience

Current Employee - Finance
    Current Employee - Finance

I have been working at Sysco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good co-workers Above average salary

Cons

Management are not all on same page.

Policy should be enforced for all employees the same not by how long you have worked there or who you know. Exceptions should not be made for those considered special.

Great company

Current Employee - Customer Service  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Sysco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I work in customer service and it is very steady and routine. Most days are typical and you know what to expect at each time of the day. I learned a lot very fast.

Cons

At the end of the day, it is literally like the NYSE as it is all about beating the clock. The sales representatives tend to be very needy or demanding and use you for things they can do themselves.

I think upper management does a really good job.. One thing I would suggest would be remember how you got to where you are every day.. At the end of the day I think someone should be able to look in the mirror and say, there is nothing more I could have done. Through doing this and being sincere, there will always be that voice in the back of your head describing how you could have handled your most difficult task a little differently, for better or worse.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No Longer Systems Service Company….they don't care about service any longer

Former Employee - Marketing Associate
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate

I worked at Sysco full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It's a job and that is about all I can say. There really are no pros to it as far as I am concerned.

Cons

Years ago, they had class. They loved all customers whether they were a huge hospital or a little Mom and Pop convenience store. Today, that's farthest from the truth than ever before; it's all about bottom line. They used to love and care about their employees also but ever since the economy downturn, they have slashed their employees careers; jobbed customer service and I.T. out to INDIA, forced each and every other REMAINING employee to take cut pays and increased their workload to exhaustion. I worked as Marketing Associate for almost 18 years and finally threw in the towel. I was tired of the demands they made of me; all expected to be done with a smile on my face…They cram too many cases in the trucks, overloading them to max capacity which hurt not only the drivers and their nightmares trying to dig through it all but then the product was compromised by being smashed all around during transit and the customers were held hostage waiting longer than they should have to because they put an average of 24 stops on the trucks which was ridiculous. They also made it IMPOSSIBLE to service the customer by allowing the Marketing Associate to hand deliver ANY PRODUCT INCLUDING PAPER CUPS because of some STUPID FEAR of being sued. There was an ISOLATED incident with chicken in a hot shed or something like that in San Francisco, so they got all paranoid and placed a ZERO TOLERANCE policy for any and all Marketing Associate to even TOUCH a product whether it was perishable or not. So Joe Blow has a wedding and Sysco screws up and leaves a case of plastic plates off the truck. Solution….Marketing Associate can run to warehouse and pick it up and get it to the caterer within the hour….but NOT ANYMORE….nope, the customer has to go to Sam's Club or Restaurant Depot….better yet, they can call any of Sysco's competitors and get it done…. and on and on and on…..so, I quit. They told my customers I "retired". I gingerly tell them when I see them, NO I DID NOT RETIRE, I QUIT! Oh, by the way, they also cut our pension by 2/3's and any new employee does not get one at all. They are NOT FOR THE CUSTOMER, THEY ARE NOT FOR EMPLOYEE ….all they care about is their bottom line as stated earlier and of course, we have to make sure DeLaney gets to keep his 7 figure salary….God forbid he give up anything….

I could not give them one bit of advice because they would never listen. They are so full of themselves that they think they know it ALL.

Could be a great company but lacks structure!

Former Employee - Supply Chain Services  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Services in Houston, TX

I worked at Sysco full-time for less than a year

Pros

Recruits good talent
    Pay scale is competitive
    Opportunities to move around
    Will gain experience based on total immersion

Cons

The good talent recruited goes to waste because it is not cultivated.
    The pay scale is not sufficient the work load, hours and amount of stress.
    There are plenty of opportunities because of high turnover throughout the company.
    The experience that you gain will be by trial and error, you are expected to company processes, and complex issue resolution without training structure, you are thrown in and it is sink or swim!
    You will be held accountable for actions whether it is your fault or not and unfamiliar processes.
    You are not managed, you are not even thought of unless a issue arises that effects them.
    Only the strong will survive and you will have to be very, very strong independently and before you get there.
    The pressure to produce is immediate, I am talking first month with million dollar responsibilities.

Take a step back and get back to the basics. Train your people properly, spend the time to cultivate them and respect them, that should slow down the turnover and produce better and more achievable results.

Not as good as it used to be

I have been working at Sysco

Pros

Good work life balance
    Lots of nice people
    A good place to get lots of experience and advanced education and certifications are not necessary for advancement

Cons

Openly admit they don't pay nearly as much as other places.
    Health insurance has gotten much more expensive in the last few years

Need to get the core solidified before adding new projects on top. Buying US Foods is only a good opportunity if the integration process is already effective. The transition to SAP has been a nightmare in terms of cost, time and usefulness.

One of the best Jobs I've had, great company

Current Employee - Mechanic  in  Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Mechanic in Poway, CA

I have been working at Sysco full-time for more than a year

Pros

Team and Family oriented, great benefits

Cons

Pay does not often match the expected level of commitment

The employees is the fuel which equates to profits, treat them acoordingly

NOT HAPPY

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Sysco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good starting pay. Health Insurance

Cons

No one knows what is going on. There is no key decision makers. Everyone plays pass the buck. No responsibility from upper management. Over commits and under produces.

Somebody needs to take charge. Grow-up! Childish behavior is not professional. When upper management makes a youtube video that is an embarrassment to everyone, it is time for Corporate to take a hard look at who is in charge.

Marketing Associate

I worked at Sysco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Make your own schedule. Great training.

Cons

Work weekends. A lot of customer service issues that you have to take care of, that were out of your control to begin with.

Try to help your team grow sales. Visit customers and build on the great relationship the MAs already built.

Opportunities abound

I have been working at Sysco full-time

Pros

Excellent Training program, strong middle management.

Cons

Uncertain future with pending merger,

Worked for Sysco? Contribute to the Community!