Syska Hennessy Reviews

Updated August 20, 2014

3.2

Syska Hennessy Co-President Gary Brennen
Gary Brennen

Pretty good company to work for if you are motivated

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer

I have been working at Syska Hennessy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Family like culture, where everyone is happy to help each other even if they are under a deadline too. The people who work here are awesome. If you want to to something new all you have to do is ask most of the time. Other great perks include good insurance and 401K matching program.

Cons

One of biggest the biggest challenges at Syska is having to figure out your own path to moving up in the organization. It was not until recently that there was even career path charts available. It is also hard to forge relationships with other employees that are outside of your office. This usually only happens if you are lucky enough to get involved in a project that requires you to travel to another office.

Teach managers to be better managers and leaders, not just project managers. Focus on the team members.

Excellent and friendly environment but very scarce on work

Current Employee - Engineering Intern  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engineering Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Syska Hennessy as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great opportunity for a new engineer just entering the industry.
    Personal growth incentives with the company.
    Excellent overtime program.

Cons

First two weeks was a drag, you would not get to work on a project unless you go around the whole office asking people if they needed help.
    Work is little to none and you will be left wondering if you can make any contribution to the company at all.
    Even when I asked the whole office to help, I was mostly getting work from the electrical side although I am a mechanical intern and learned the majority about HVAC from training modules, which are tedious and boring at times.

Work more with the new people to get them going even if it means taking 30 minutes to show them how projects are setup or what standards are expected of the company in terms of the drawings and communication.

great for starter.

I have been working at Syska Hennessy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

an easy step to start career in New York City. nice people and good program for new graduate. various events and programs.

Cons

start as an entry or higher management level otherwise you will stay as is almost until you leave. if you satisfy where you are, stay there. It will be tough to move to busy company in NYC. 2% annual salary increase and no promotion. But it depends on managers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A definate dont for your engineering career.

Former Employee - Mechanical Designer  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Syska Hennessy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of work!
    Syska on the whole as a company seemed like an excellent firm on par with any of the large AE firms.
    Great benefits, lots of projects and worksharing.

Cons

Lots of manupulative, contrive drama and mismanaged personel and project workflows.
    Upper managment is bad, only looking out for themselfs, if you want to work somewhere that you are assured of a eat or be eaten culture then Syska is for you.
    Really it was like working in a reality TV show lots of frigging egos flying in upper managment.
    Now of course I cant say the other offices and managment are like this but wow it sucked.

Accountability and lack of integrity in upper managment need a long hard review!
    The structure of projects and how the blame game is played made my experiance at Syska one of the worst engineering firms I have ever worked for.

consultant

Former Employee - Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Syska Hennessy full-time for more than a year

Pros

it really depends on whom you are assigned to and the projects you work on. I had a decent boss that had great control over clients but when it came to work, it was more political than work getting done. I heard that other bosses were more hands on with the work rather than solilciting work. Colleagues are nice. Management can be pushy.

Cons

Once you are assigned to a particular project and you are good at it, it become harder to move around. You can make a request, but rarely do you see someone move. You are pretty much assigned to one Manager until otherwise reassigned

There should be a Senior Management group to review employee's satisfaction. This is not typical of a Consultant work but this is also the reason why there is such a high turnover rate.

Not a Bad Place, But...

Former Employee - Engineer II  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Engineer II in New York, NY

I worked at Syska Hennessy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Atmosphere, Office, Travel, Schedule, Flexibility

Cons

Compensation, Lack of Bonus, No Opportunity for Advancement

I worked here for awhile, the atmosphere is okay. Nothing special.

Former Employee - Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Syska Hennessy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice people, good location. There were opportunities to travel if you're in the right position. The work is not very difficult.

Cons

Hard to move up in company. Sometimes it will be completely silent for a couple days and then work comes in as overflow.

Be nicer to employees. They're people too.

A good company that offers plenty of experience and connections

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Syska Hennessy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Syska was good to me with regards to Work/Life balance. Projects were fairly regularly, which kept me busy, and the benefits were generally really good. The management was respectful and personable.

Cons

The compensation is on the low end regardless the industry. Promotions are few and far between, and I heard complaints of being passed over unfairly.

Raise salary levels to be more competitive with the market.

Syska

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Syska Hennessy

Pros

The people were some of the best people I met. I believed in their ability to hire quality individuals.have

Cons

The tough economy does not help, but the benefits and compensation package were average. I recommend this company to others.

I think it is worth everyone's time and effort to reach out to the employees with the companys vision and plan for the future.

Former Employee - Senior Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Syska Hennessy

Pros

Multidisciplinary experience exposure in developing the assigned projects.

Cons

Lean and mean; no support from management.

Share the wealth and don't just promote yourselves.

Worked for Syska Hennessy? Contribute to the Community!