System Planning Corporation

1 Rating

WAS a great company

Current Employee - Multimedia Artist in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Multimedia Artist in Arlington, VA

I have been working at System Planning Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Family owned, employees stayed forever, decent advances, Employees rewarded for good ideas.

Cons

Recently sold, no future for employees not on government contracts

The game is nearly up

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at System Planning Corporation full-time

Pros

System Planning Corporation has not lost all of its talent, and the group in the company still making custom radars is doing great work. There is very little red tape, and it's a family atmosphere.

Cons

The management quality, especially in the professional services side of the company, is completely unequal to the task. A losing streak at an outlying office has spread and become a losing streak with their primary, foundational customer. Their corporate reputation is taking a beating, people are leaving, and management has no plan or vision to recover. A recent rescue acquisition fell through, and the last remaining quality personnel are abandoning ship.

If the acquisition is taking so much time that no one is actually running the business, then hand off one of those jobs. No one is minding the store, and the panicked middle management team is running the place into the ground by destroying the company as they drive off one person at a time.

Little Transparency and Lackluster Benefits

Former Employee - Research Engineer
    Former Employee - Research Engineer

I worked at System Planning Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working on the DoD was a great experience; as far as clients go, they were flexible and offered a great work environment. SPC also provided a partial reimbursement for parking which I had never seen before. Adequate 401k match and educational stipend. My SPC managers were wonderful.

Cons

As a whole the Company is lacking when compared to others in the field. 6 paid holidays + 1 floating holiday while the client and other Contractors received all 10 Federal Holidays off. Like other reviewers mentioned; management has been stating an impending merger will occur yet nothing has happened in the past 2 years. Compensation is FAR below industry standards for engineering and my bonus was only several hundred dollars, despite a good performance review and making the firm money. No path between hard work and reward. SPC reminds me of other similar sized companies who- when they lose one or two major contracts, the Company has a chain reaction and folds.

I appreciate that you want to be genuine when you tell the employees that the company has had some poor financial mishaps. However, learning that SPC was in danger financially due to erroneous spending/loss of contracts, coupled with the fact the founder and former CEO has declared personal bankruptcy yet he is still allowed to be on the board of directors is incorrigible.

You'll be encouraged to work just hard enough to not get fired.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at System Planning Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very flexible hours, good chance to make contacts at a local government agency

Cons

Very little room for advancement the entire time I was there. In a large recent layoff, good people that were on direct contracts were let go while poor earners sitting on indirect labor were kept around. Constant new hires rather than using available resources lead to constant employee turnover as good technical people refused to sit idle and left for better opportunities.

Very few vacation days, which was surprising considering the principle client was the DoD. One would think that you'd at the very least have the same holidays. Also, medical benefits were sub-par. My wife's insurance package cost less per month to cover the entire family than my out of pocket costs were every other week to cover just myself. They did offer a 401k match to 4%, but even that is what I'd consider the minimum in the field.

Raises were given on a 0 sum basis for the company. Normally I wouldn't mind this style, you eat what you kill, etc. But middle and senior management weren't subject to the pool.

It's the beginning of the end.

I worked at System Planning Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

All PROs have been lost.

Cons

What was once open dialog between management and staff has gone stone cold quiet. Lots of key personnel departures on a consistent basis. Revenue down sharply. The promise of an acquisition to save the company has now been promised for two years. Outlook not very bright.

Be honest even if the outlook is bleak. Many good people that have been loyal to SPC deserve more.

Nice Place to Learn the Ropes

Former Employee - Contracts
    Former Employee - Contracts

I worked at System Planning Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Small company, family type atmosphere, many opportunities to learn new things and blaze your own career.

Cons

Small company, benefits and pay weren't great. Upper management drama can trickle down to lower levels.

Don't get sucked in

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at System Planning Corporation full-time

Pros

The managers do not breathe down your neck, flexable. If flexability is the most important thing, this is a good job for you. Otherwise run for the hills...

Cons

Very low pay
    Managers have their favorites
    Not a lot of advancement

Good Employer

I worked at System Planning Corporation

Pros

Flexible and fair to their employees

Cons

Did not seem to be growing the business.

Management Shakeup yields better outlook

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Lexington Park, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Lexington Park, MD

I have been working at System Planning Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My experience is at the SPC Patuxent River office, which is slightly removed from the Beltway. I have been treated with respect by my managers, they've performed competently, and my advancement has not been hindered. SPC Corporate has recently shed some of its poor-performing upper and middle management, with commensurate positive uptick in morale and financial health.

Cons

SPC is a small company. My previous employer had 170,000 employees, SPC has barely 400. There are quirks, there are sometimes advancement delays due to only so many positions to be filled. The flip side of this is more agility, more ability to grow your own work, and significantly less bureaucracy.

Old management: learn from your mistakes. New management: Continue to listen to the employees. You have hired smart people. Let them continue to take the lead on addressing deficiencies and getting back to client focus.

Incompetent upper management, over incapable middle management who supervise workers via intimidation.

Former Employee - Senior Space Scientist in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Space Scientist in Arlington, VA

I worked at System Planning Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Systems Planning Corporation is centrally located in the city of Arlington, Virginia. The technical staff is congenial and knowledgeable.

Cons

SPC does not provide their SETA employees work assignments. The SETA members must find their own work. However, upper management will gladly manage the budget for the SETA, which entitles them to charge to the project. Of course, the SETA budget does not include the cost of two or more vice presidents charging to the project. Some SETA members are placed on suspension (leave without pay) for many varied and unfathomable reasons. Should a qualified SETA team member apply for another position within System Planning Corporation, rest assured that the requirements of the position in question will be changed to exclude the applicant from consideration. Don't ever expect the upper management of System Planning Corporation to provide you with coherent business advice. One vice president (who resembles the "Queen of Hearts" from "Alice Through the Looking Glass"), refuses to bid on any SETA support contract with which she is unfamiliar. It doesn’t matter to her if the SETA team members who work the project are knowledgeable on the subject at hand. This VP has single-handedly screwed the company out of millions of dollars worth of work, which they desperately needed. Yet she regularly pats-herself on the back, in front of the SETA team members, for a job well done. Upper management throws huge parties then, they lay off staff members to pay for their celebration. The senior security officer refuses to do his job. Heaven forbid that anyone should ask him for help. However, should you ask for help, he will inform you that security is your responsibility, and not his. Termination from Systems Planning Corporation came as more of an overwhelming relief, than a regret.

This advice is for the owner: hire a consulting company to locate and hire competent management.