Systemax

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Systemax Chairman and CEO Richard Leeds

Richard Leeds

Dynamic, Nimble and Profitable

Director (Former Employee) Wellingborough, England (UK)

ProsUp to 2011, the company (trading as Misco) transformed into a nimble and dynamic reseller that embraced it's customers, employees and the vendor community. The culture was customer centric and the majority of employees were happy which was reflected in the low attrition rate across all country locations (8 in total). The mantra was very much driven by US management who brought a 'work hard, play hard' mentality that gave life to the organisation. Misco had become one of the leading IT resellers in Europe and a profitable division of Systemax.

ConsNew CEO hired in 2012 drastically changed the organisation.

Great place, fun, family atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Springfield, IL

ProsEmployees have fun and work hard. Pranks are common (like filling the boss' office with balloons). Bring your dog to work day each week. Fitness center reimbursement, great benefits. Employees select the music. Management listens to and encourages everyone's opinions, suggestions, and ideas.

ConsHigh learning curve, new people are often "new" for a long time because of the depth and range of knowledge they need to acquire while learning their job. Training is provided, but it's still a high learning curve. Typical office: cubicles and lack of sunlight.

Great place to work for a person looking for a challenge

ProsThe company has a lot of opportunities where a person can make positive change and is not afraid to ask questions. The company is also very supportive of career development and encourages movement within the company as long as you prove yourself worthy of it.

ConsThis it not a place for a person who is looking for a clear path or a routine when it comes to work. There generally aren't a lot of set protocols and procedures in place. You will have to be willing to pick up knowledge on the fly as you work day to day. You have to be proactive and know where to get the knowledge you need to get your job done.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage more interaction between different departments and business units so that we learn best practices. Continue to develop work procedures to minimize the learning curve for new employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Systemax Business Services

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Budapest (Hungary)

ProsI worked at the Systemax Business Services in Budapest.

ConsI liked my collegues. Usually you don't have to work long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementSalaries are not really competitive, so they hire the young and unexperienced. The ones with better qualities quickly move on. The management have big plans but they can't solve basic problems.

Rewarding

Software Developer (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsHad a great boss who was caring and generous (in software development dept.), the people at worker level are awesome here, good work environment, good career opportunities if you work hard.

ConsSomewhat limited on raises (but not non-existent), have to work long hours (10 including lunch). The 'facilities' could use an upgrade.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a little more generous with employees and the return on investment will be great. (Senior management.) No advice needed for line-level management. They we all very professional and great to work with.

Planner

Planner (Former Employee) Miami, FL

Prosgreat place fun atmosphere loved it

ConsNeeds to become more systemated

Syx is good

ProsExtremely good work . Work culture is good. Innovation oppurtunities. cutting edge . good for device drivers s s s

ConsManagement doesnt give proper sal to employees. Very hard working environment. Sal is not so good. Mediocre quality of employees

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement doesnt give proper sal to employees. Very hard working environment. Sal is not so good. Mediocre quality of employees

A real low-cost model

Otc (Former Employee) Budapest (Hungary)

ProsGreat knowledge of the staff

ConsLow-cost operating model, need to work hard and deal with inefficient processes and old systems

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest some money in order to make a step forward before it`s too late

If the jobs haven't already been outsourced...

Web Programmer (Former Employee) Deerfield Beach, FL

ProsFriendly employees (IT Department).

ConsOld laptop computers in the IT Department. Working 10-12 hours a day, including weekends (IT Department). The "management" may care, but the higher-ups don't; those that affect your salary and benefits. Most positions have already been outsourced, so I doubt this review will ever be read, but if you do consider a position here, keep in mind you may soon be training your future $10k/year replacement.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade the IT Department's PC's -- Visual Studio 2013 is recourse-intensive (SSD a MUST). Try to minimize the 10-12 hour days, with working weekends. It's been proven time and time again that happy employees are productive employees! And hiring 10 outsourced employees at the last phase of a project has shown to be disastrous!

Fun work environment, Bad management.

Technician (Former Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsGreat and enjoyable work environment. Good co-workers.

ConsSupervisor extremely difficult to understand.

Worked for Systemax? Contribute to the Community!