Systems Evolution Reviews

Updated March 20, 2015
122 reviews filtered by
4.8
Bill Gallagher

Pros
  • SEI offers the best opportunities for work-life balance I have seen (in 31 reviews)

• There is a no travel policy which fosters a great work/lif balance (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Flat Organization, so career progression is limited (in 5 reviews)

• While they tag themselves as a consulting firm, be prepared to act as a salesman (in 3 reviews)

1. Joining SEI was the best decision I made in my career

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Systems Evolution full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company and employees live out our core values / EPIC model (Excellence, Participation, Integrity, Collaboration).
    Great clients with long standing, trust-based relationships.
    Local consulting model means no travel.
    Flat model means no meddling middle managers. We are free to carve out our own path and career.
    Great compensation and benefits.
    We have a group that helps coordinate employee participation in community/volunteering events. It's nice to be a part of a company that also invests in the community.

Cons

If you are not a self-starter, this isn't the place for you.
    If you are not flexible in your willingness to adapt to client needs, this isn't the place for you.
    If you just want to be an employee and punch the clock, this isn't the place for you. You are expected to contribute to the growth of the company outside of just client delivery.

We have been doing a great job with recent hires. Slow and steady wins the race.

2. I love SEI today as much as the day I joined

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Systems Evolution full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Local consulting model; no travel; real employee ownership; positive, collaborative environment; focus on delivering the highest quality solutions to clients; no vendor bias; I have the rare privilege of working with some of my best friends on a daily basis!

Cons

It's easy to become frustrated when engagement opportunities come up but there are no consultants available. I believe consultant availability will always be our bottleneck, but that's a sign that we're being appropriately selective in our hiring.

Don't put pressure on the offices to relax standards to increase hiring; accept that we may always have more client opportunities than we'll have consultants to fill them.

3. Lives up to the promises

Current Employee - Staff Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Staff Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Systems Evolution full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Company values, collaborative environment, ability to work across industries that you don't have experience while knowing there is a deep wellspring of talent willing and able to back you up, compensation model that is based on your actions and contributions to the growth of the company.

The hiring processes are a double edged sword. They are very selective and so that means that you know you're getting grade-A talent, but it also means that getting hired is very difficult at SEI. That can lead to missed business opportunities when you don't have enough people to meet a need. But it also means that the people you're working with are top notch and trustworthy to go into a client. I've put this in the pro and the con section.

Cons

There can be many off-hours meetings that go above and beyond a regular company, but they're spaced out enough to not be too engrossing.

If you don't buy into the collaborative nature of the company, of collective value, you will not be happy here, full stop. I don't see that as a con, per se, but I do understand some of the negative reviews that have come up. You really have to be a great fit to move forward.

Keep doing what you're doing.

5. Last job I'll ever have!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Systems Evolution full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flat organization...everyone is able, and expected, to contribute!
    Strongest culture I have ever experienced - and it's our competitive advantage! Our consultants are the product, the sales force, the recruiting team, and the stewards of our culture.

Cons

Not necessarily a con, but the company is not for everyone...the right candidates will have a strong desire and ability to participate among a team of absolute rockstars that will drop what they are doing to help each other out, but must also be comfortable being held to a higher standard!

Stay focused on protecting the culture...it's our secret sauce!

6. Staff Consultant

I have been working at Systems Evolution full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay ... lots of energy
    Local travel only so you get to go home every night to your family

Cons

Growing the firm can negatively impact the firm
    Once you hit Sr Principal that pay flattens out .... so you cap out so to speak.

watch the growth but overall environment is good.

7. Amazing Company

I worked at Systems Evolution full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, exceptional employees, management truly cares, employee owned.

Cons

Only a con if you are title driven: flat organization.

Keep up the great work!

Breath of Fresh Air

I have been working at Systems Evolution full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Finally a company that truly embraces the entrepreneurial spirit. The flattened hierarchy and employee ownership model drive the unique culture that embraces collaboration and collective value. Consultants are expected to contribute in growing the business and are given autonomy to find their niche. The founder, Dan Pierce, is a true visionary in building a business model that drives peak client value and employee satisfaction. As previous post have eluded, “It seems too good to be true!” but I can testify joining SEI is the best professional decision I have ever made. It truly is as advertised which is enforced by the consistent messaging from our rock star consultants.

Cons

If climbing the corporate ladder and job title is what motivates you then SEI is not the place for you! SEI is a business run by employee owners with a focus on adding client value and growing a business. This is not a 9 to 5 job but that does not mean there is not an appreciation for work life balance.

Keep up the good work and continue to protect the culture.

9. A model that truly values collaboration; a company that truly values you as a person

I have been working at Systems Evolution full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I took my move out of industry and into consulting quite seriously. Being a natural planner who likes to have all options thoroughly vested before making a move, going into consulting was a deliberate choice I'd been considering for the past five years or so. In my search, I analyzed what excited me about getting up and going to work each morning and narrowed it down to two key areas - first, the people. I've been lucky to have worked with incredibly talented, intelligent, kind mentors and colleagues over the past ten years. I knew my next career step would have to have a similar support network for me to be fulfilled. Through the gauntlet, I met people I instantly clicked with, who worked with the same drive and positivity I did. Now that I'm part of SEI, I'm so glad (and still slightly in awe) to be shoulder to shoulder with consultants whose excellence inspires me to grow all the while knowing those same talented folks are invested in helping me succeed because it benefits the organization overall. The second key for me when I was looking at different firms were the various models - would it support collaboration over competition; was it local (with small children at home, travel does not fit my current lifestyle;) was it structured to encourage me to continue my involvement in the Atlanta community... SEI checks the box on all three. During the gauntlet, you'll hear a lot about the EPIC model. Listen carefully, ask questions, read up about it on the website. It's not too good to be true. if you're looking for a place that feels like home and you're ready to have full transparency into how your efforts have a direct impact on the company's future, seriously consider SEI.

Cons

These aren't cons for me, but things I would ask others to consider before committing to SEI - Are you motivated by title? There isn't anything wrong with being excited about updating your profile or business card with those stair step titles that show others you're on your way to the executive suite. But if that's the kind of gold star you need in order to feel accomplished, SEI is not the place for you. At SEI, the organization is flat and we gain fulfillment by helping our clients succeed, helping our fellow consultants succeed, and taking part in the company's success. You'll have to leave your title at the door.

Keep up the focus on culture. What works about SEI isn't the framework alone - though key - having people who are dedicated to living that EPIC model makes it a reality.

Indifferent

Former Employee - Staff Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Staff Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Systems Evolution part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Variety of projects, minimal to zero travel - its up to you which is nice, plenty of social activities . If you like consulting work but hate the travel this is great option, but note office culture varies I've been to a few locations and some have a great group , others; not so much. Non--hierarchical structure, most are seasoned professionals who have consulted for 8+ years, no micro management or reporting up the chain.

Cons

The culture varies, depending on what office you are in it can be very clicky, almost like high school. The mid-west and northeast offices have a great group, but head down to Atlanta and you'll get a different feel and not the warm and fuzzy one either, some are down right rude and judgmental.

While they tag themselves as a consulting firm, be prepared to act as a salesman. There is a business development team, but they rely heavily on consultants to up-sell clients. While they say there is no quota you are expected to grow the business and personally I don't like feeling pressured to sell my clients service they don't need.

Non-hierarchical structure,it has its pros and cons - the cons being when you're working a project with other strong personalities expect some friction as often times many believe they are not just their own chief, but yours too.

Be more involved and watch out for egotistic personalities that are chipping away at moral. Leave the selling to the business development team.

It's not hype; everything you learn in the gauntlet is true!

I have been working at Systems Evolution full-time (less than a year)

Pros

At some point in the interview process, you may wonder if all the accolades are just too good to be true. Indeed, SEI is a great consulting firm and I love working here! I’ve never worked for an organization with so many talented and accessible professionals. In the past six months, I’ve witnessed the core SEI values that were reinforced as I went through the gauntlet in practice (collaboration, transparency, rock-star client delivery) and it is great to be a part of this culture. I’m inspired by my colleague’s commitment to their clients, career, and community.

Cons

It's important to remember that there are two jobs here: client delivery and contributions to the firm. It isn't really a con, but an important consideration for candidates.

Preserve the culture and keep up the good work as we grow.