Systems Evolution Reviews

Updated July 31, 2014

4.8

Systems Evolution Founder & CEO Dan Pierce
Dan Pierce

Pros
  • While this is not a 40 hour a week job, the work/life balance is real with family taking a priority (in 28 reviews)

• There is a no travel policy which fosters a great work/lif balance (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Flat Organization, so career progression is limited (in 4 reviews)

• Ok, so no one at the firm will like the below and the topics will probably get deflected during the interview process (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

It's not hype; everything you learn in the gauntlet is true!

I have been working at Systems Evolution full-time for less than a year

Pros

At some point in the interview process, you may wonder if all the accolades are just too good to be true. Indeed, SEI is a great consulting firm and I love working here! I’ve never worked for an organization with so many talented and accessible professionals. In the past six months, I’ve witnessed the core SEI values that were reinforced as I went through the gauntlet in practice (collaboration, transparency, rock-star client delivery) and it is great to be a part of this culture. I’m inspired by my colleague’s commitment to their clients, career, and community.

Cons

It's important to remember that there are two jobs here: client delivery and contributions to the firm. It isn't really a con, but an important consideration for candidates.

Preserve the culture and keep up the good work as we grow.

In it for the long haul...

Current Employee - Principal Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Systems Evolution full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

In today's world, you'd be hard pressed to find a company that is looking for people for the long haul. Especially an IT consulting firm. SEI is that company. With their compensation model, local client focus, consultant collaboration on projects and focus on work life balance, SEI is a company that wants a long term relationship with the people they hire.

The belief that a "rising tide lifts ALL ships" makes for a work environment where consultants can focus on making the company successful and thereby everyone in the company successful.

After 8 years with SEI, I wouldn't want it any other way.

Cons

Really the only downside I see is that if you're looking for a title, this isn't the place for you. With SEI you are more like an entrepreneur than a consultant. And you can't get any better than being an owner - that's the best "title" you can have.

Keep up the good communications. Keep improving the platforms that allow better collaboration.

Fantastic Place to Work

Current Employee - Principal Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Systems Evolution full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People always ask what is the most compelling reason to work for SEI. I could certainly answer the compensation because it is much higher than competitors because of our flat, low-overhead model. All consultants report to our Managing Director. I could answer that it's the benefits and the unique and empowering employee ownership model. Another answer would be the challenging and rewarding assignments, work/life balance, a culture that drives collaboration, or providing great value to our clients. There are many other answers as well but the number one reason is.....the consultants. The caliber of the people is truly amazing. I have been with the company for over 7 years and have never worked with a better group of people.

Cons

The only thing that comes to mind is the difficulty of obtaining new clients due to lack of brand recognition. However, there is always an on-going effort to increase brand awareness and build new relationships.

Keep the culture intact and continue to hire the right people and not just hire for the sake of growth itself.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work. After over 9 years I still enjoy coming to work every day.

Current Employee - Principal Consultant  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Systems Evolution full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great place to work if you love consulting but are tired of the travel and internal politics of other consulting firms. Our focus is local which means we develop long term relationships with our colleagues and clients. We are very selective in the interview process because we expect everyone we hire will be with us for the long term.

Cons

It is a flat organization with each consultant expected to participate in all aspects of the business. If your goal is to collect a check or to climb the ladder via internal politics you should look elsewhere.

Stay the course.

SEI is a group of top notch people having fun working on challenging projects

Current Employee - Staff Consultant  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Staff Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Systems Evolution full-time for less than a year

Pros

SEI does not compromise on its core values. The entire organization consists of people there for the right reasons who desire success for themselves, their fellow employees, and their clients. The company offers all the standard benefits along with great morale. SEI offers the best opportunities for work-life balance I have seen. Employees place a high value on family and fun - and they get the job done.

Cons

We need more rockstar consultants to meet the demands of our clients. SEI is well-respected by clients for delivering high quality results. Our clients want more SEI consultants.

Keep it up! Here's to the last place I will work!

Best career move I've ever made!

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Systems Evolution full-time for more than a year

Pros

Almost two years in at SEI and it's lived up to and exceeded all my expectations. Never have I seen a place that puts culture and collaboration at the center of everything they do. If you're looking for a place where you can be part of something larger than yourself, surrounded by passionate people, SEI is the place for you. I can't imagine working anywhere else.

Cons

None as far as I'm concerned. As long as you're a person who can put the team before yourself, SEI will be place you'll want to spend the rest of your career.

Never forget WHY we exist! Keep hiring right and the rest will take care of itself.

Best Career Decision was to join SEI

Current Employee - Principal Consultant  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Systems Evolution full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is nowhere else that I have been where there is so much independence given to each and every one of us to make key decisions and participate in the overall business.
    True and real ownership model - all of us are privy to the components that drive our business over the longer term
    High level of trust among peers to collaborate and solve whatever challenges we might face
    Flexibility and independence to manage your work-life balance

Cons

The model isn't for everyone but for those that grasp it can truly flourish. Best career decision I made - no real cons to speak off.

Its been a great ride so far - keep up the strong culture and values

Great interview process!

I have been working at Systems Evolution full-time

Pros

The interview process was great...while many might find 8-12 interviews to be grueling, it really allowed me to get all of my questions answered and get to know many of the other consultants I would be working with. I got a great feel for the culture and what SEI is all about before starting.

The corporate culture here is unlike what I've heard about other consulting firms. We all try to spend time with each other over lunch, staff meetings, social outings, happy hour, etc. The company invests a lot of time and money into building a strong culture and a "family."

Cons

There aren't really many cons to mention, other than possibly a larger pipeline of clients to work with. SEI is also trying to grow, but keep the culture intact, which can be a bit of concern because often companies that grow too fast lost a lot of the culture. As long as SEI continues the hiring process as they have been, I can't foresee this happening.

Determine a way to keep the more tenured employees involved, even after they have reached the principal level.

Good company, lots of meetings outside business hours

I have been working at Systems Evolution

Pros

The company tries to 'do the right thing' for their employees. The structure benefits longevity and colleagues are smart and collaborative.

Cons

There is an expectation for participating in a lot of meetings outside of client work. Sometime it feels burdensome and counters the other work-life benefits.

As offices grow, look at whether management practices also need to adjust.

Don't give up hope! There's a consulting business model out there where you can have the best of both worlds!

I have been working at Systems Evolution full-time for less than a year

Pros

Last Fall, after an intense recruiting season, where I had about two dozen interviews and a couple of offers, I came to a crossroads where I would have to choose between going to industry or staying in consulting. Going to industry would allow me to be home every night with my family but would limit my experience and possibly slow down my career growth. Remaining in consulting would give me a wealth of experience and new skills, but would require me to be on the road 80% of the time. I came to terms with the fact that in order to do what I really like, I'd have to make this difficult choice between family or career growth. That was until I learned about SEI.
    Their value proposition was fantastic: the variety and excitement of consulting without any of the travel. I decided to apply to see if everything I heard and read on their website and Glassdoor.com was true. As I progressed through the interviews, I found myself getting more and more excited about the model SEI created; one that I didn't think existed. In every interview, sitting across from me was an individual who had different strengths from the previous interviewers, but had the same drive, ambition, and belief that SEI was different than most consulting firms. When asked what made SEI so special and allowed it to avoid the pitfalls of other consulting firms (both large and small), they all harped back to the practices of being selective and only hiring those that could deliver its EPIC model, trusting their consultants to work like they own the company (which they eventually do), and making sure that each consultant is cared for like an extended family. It sounded too good to be true, but I was willing to take a chance when I considered how the alternatives would affect my career and my family.
    Several months later, my experience has remained consistent with what I’ve read here on Glassdoor.com and what I’ve heard in each of “The Gauntlet” interviews. The consultants are all excellent at what they do (mostly in Project Management and BI) and are more than willing to teach others. Collaboration is ingrained in their culture and they complete trust their consultants to maintain their high standards. In my very first week with SEI, I had a long time SEI consultant ask me what I thought would be the best way to implement a process. After coming from a company that had 100,000+ employees, where I was a number and no one really cared about how I developed, SEI is an amazingly refreshing change. Working with so many high functioning and experienced individuals makes me want to improve myself, both professionally and personally.
    At SEI, I’m known, my family is known, and everyone is incredibly supportive of everything I do. The idea that my opinion is listened to, cared about, and respected has taken some getting used to. It's given me a sense of ownership I've never really experienced in a career before, one I find myself working hard to keep maintain. As you can probably tell, I drank the Kool-Aid and I'll be staying for more.

Cons

Haven't been here long enough to expose any glaring problems that make me rethink my decision. Hopefully it stays that way in the long haul!

Keep doing what you're doing, preserve the culture, and keep hiring the best.

Worked for Systems Evolution? Contribute to the Community!