Systems Evolution Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.8
Bill Gallagher

Pros
  • SEI offers the best opportunities for work-life balance I have seen (in 31 reviews)

• Local model requires little to no travel (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the place for climbing the corporate ladder, we have a flat organization with a small leadership (in 5 reviews)

• However, there is always an on-going effort to increase brand awareness and build new relationships (in 3 reviews)

Why I Stay at SEI

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Systems Evolution full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you would have told me that I'd found my final employer before I started working here, I'm not sure I would have believed it. But within my first year of working here, I couldn't imagine being pulled away by another employer or another position. There are so many reasons I stay at SEI, but the one that sticks out is the people and the support you get, both within work and outside of work. I recently took a leave of absence for family, and the outpouring of help from SEIers was amazing. They delivered food, provided gift cards, dropped by my house to check in, and even donated leave money so I could have additional time off and not worry.

I love my co-workers! They are people I can respect and know that they are respected by clients. They want to jump in and offer help with work or personal questions. They'll take the time to pause their work to dig up information for you. They'll jump on a call to discuss an approach to a client's need. They are some of the smartest and hard working people I know.

Cons

Lots of people like the idea of a flat organization, but it's not a fit for everyone. You have to find a way to contribute without being asked or told to jump in. You can't be afraid to speak up but also need to ensure that you're not being pushy.

Advice to Management

This is one place where I really feel like our leaders have our backs -- both with our clients and in our daily workings, but also in looking to the future. They are reshaping how we communicate across a growing organization, and how we organize ourselves that preserves the culture and fosters growth.

2. Great Place to Work!

I have been working at Systems Evolution full-time

Pros

Work with seasoned and extremely talented coworkers.

Cons

Reputation is not as well known.

3. Like family...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Systems Evolution full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

SEI is like family to me. No other way to describe what working with people you trust, respect, count on and believe in (and oh, that you actually WANT to spend time with) feels like other than calling it a "family feel". Broad based ownership, involvement and responsibility creates this feel. And the fact that consideration of character and soft skills is as important as technical or hard skills when hiring sets SEI apart. Amazing what you can do when quotas and arbitrary #'s aren't the driving factors! I love Systems Evolution and SEI-Phoenix is truly my other family!

Cons

Truthfully, our struggle to find folks that fit our standards is our biggest issue. Not really a Con, just a challenge & fact that supports our standards.

Advice to Management

Don't change or get all creative like our competition that chases verticals and trendy tools or the next hot thing, rather just stick to our 20+ year model and our core values and we will continue to thrive.

Peer accountability drives our success

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Systems Evolution full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As one would expect in an employee owned firm, your peers will hold you accountable to deliver excellent client service and drive the success of the business. Expectations are clearly laid out during the interview process. Self-starters, natural networkers, and true collaborators thrive at our firm. I am thrilled to be part of a firm that instills a culture of hard work, collaboration and camaraderie. The local model keeps air travel to a mimimum and work/life balance is great. That doesn't mean 9-5 as there are expectations outside of client work, however these meetings are a great opportunity to bond with your peers while brainstorming ideas to help drive the business forward. I enjoy this aspect of the business as much as my client work. Philanthropy is strong at our firm and important to me, as well. Our company founder is a co-founder of the Josh Cares charity in Cincinatti and that committment has instilled a sense of community and philanthropy across all of our offices.

Cons

In any small, entrepreneurial employee driven firm, there will be some disagreement on the firm's direction, growth plans, and operations. That said, although the firm's managment team is the decision making body, the employee-owners voices are heard. With any consulting career, there will be good clients and difficult ones, good projects and bad projects. This is to be expected. The flat organization structure is great, however, if you want to climb a corporate ladder, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

6. Finally Found a Home

Current Employee - Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Systems Evolution

Pros

SEI is more than a business, it's a community of like-minded people, that comes about as close to being family as possible. The ownership model is fantastic. Even though the company is not public, the financials are open book, so there are no secrets. There is very little travel, and consultants are placed in the communities where they live. The collective value model is great because veterans and noobies alike jump in to answer questions, participate in team activities and run the recruiting and hiring process. The company is growing!

Cons

I am unable to see any significant cons

Advice to Management

Continue guarding the gate - our culture is what makes us special!

Best career decision - love my job and company!

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Systems Evolution full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with SEI for over 2 years and have thoroughly enjoyed being a part of a such a talented group of hard working individuals who are all committed to being employee owners. SEI provides consultants the opportunity to assist in new business acquisition and the opportunity to drive our talent management efforts. Out flat organization allows seasoned consultants the opportunity to do what they love without being on the road. The recent transition to our new CEO has been seamless and sets the tone for the continued growth and success of our growing company. I'm honored to be a part of this great group of people.

Cons

If you are looking for fancy titles, this isnt the right fit for you.
    If you're not looking to think outside the box and contribute and grow a business and be an employee owner, then SEI is not a fit for you.

Advice to Management

Keep the open book management style as well as open communication.
    Stick to hiring rockstars!
    Continue to focus on slow and steady growth with an eye for maintaining culture!

Staff Consultant

Current Employee - Staff Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Staff Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Systems Evolution full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Making a career move to SEI has been a breath of fresh air. I recently joined and all the great things I heard about SEI during the interview process are true. Great people that care about each other, collaborate together for the benefit of the client, serve the community together and have fun with each other. There is a reason SEI has been rated as one of the best places to work in each of the markets where they are located.

Cons

Spending additional time outside of work at the client is not for everyone. However It is clearly mentioned during the interview process.

Advice to Management

So glad to be a part of the SEI team and look forward to exceeding our client expectations. Keep up the great work!

Great consulting firm with a unique, collaborative corporate culture

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Systems Evolution full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Talented professionals with diverse skill sets and experience
    - Flat organizational structure that eliminates disruptive politics
    - Corporate culture that promotes transparency, collaboration and focuses on the "why"
    - Corporate leaders that actively solicit employee input and foster decentralized decision making
    - Peers that actively seek to establish and retain long lasting professional relationships
    - Minimal bench time
    - A transparent, consistent and objective approach for appraising performance

Cons

- Like any consulting gig, not all client engagements will be viewed as interesting or challenging
    - Some travel may be required, especially for smaller offices

Advice to Management

- Continue to focus on people vs. the bottom line
    - Focus on building the next generation of SEI leaders
    - Focus on the longer term strategy vs. tactical advancements (leave these to the consultants)
    - Remain committed to work/life balance

Still great!

Current Employee - Principal Consultant
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant

I have been working at Systems Evolution

Pros

Open book financials, opportunity to participate on both internal and external business, excellent consultants

Cons

Can be slow to change, cliques, rates tied to local economy, some short sighted management decisions

Advice to Management

Stay true to original philosophy of quality, don't be so quick to cut candidates, know thyself

11. Joining SEI was the best decision I made in my career

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Systems Evolution full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company and employees live out our core values / EPIC model (Excellence, Participation, Integrity, Collaboration).
    Great clients with long standing, trust-based relationships.
    Local consulting model means no travel.
    Flat model means no meddling middle managers. We are free to carve out our own path and career.
    Great compensation and benefits.
    We have a group that helps coordinate employee participation in community/volunteering events. It's nice to be a part of a company that also invests in the community.

Cons

If you are not a self-starter, this isn't the place for you.
    If you are not flexible in your willingness to adapt to client needs, this isn't the place for you.
    If you just want to be an employee and punch the clock, this isn't the place for you. You are expected to contribute to the growth of the company outside of just client delivery.

Advice to Management

We have been doing a great job with recent hires. Slow and steady wins the race.

RSS Feed </> Embed