Systems In Motion Reviews

2.8
Mark Orttung

Developer Intern

I worked at Systems In Motion

Pros

Budding company, interested in expansion, good benefits.

Cons

No culture, boring work, tedious management structure.

Apr 13, 2015 – CEO

I'm sorry that your experience was a negative one. I would like to hear more details about your experience. If you are comfortable, please reach out to me directly to give me more information so that ... More

The worst experience I have ever had in my professional carreer. ” worst company ever

I worked at Systems In Motion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It gave me some interesting stories.

Cons

Guess they just started a company employing a bunch of green card holders and some american citizens. The managers are diploma holders with absolutely zero knowledge on project management, leave alone technical knowledge. They lack the sophistication that any company needs. Their pay is extremely poor. They also only hire mostly Indian people, which is discriminating.

Advice to Management

Have a good talent acquisition team and good learned and experienced leaders and managers so that the team does not suffer exploitation and don't end up getting dumb mentors.

3. Great place to grow, have to set your own limits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Systems In Motion

Pros

Being in an environment where there is a ton of devs with vary levels of experience is awesome. If you want to learn something there is always someone who has experience. Game room is pretty nice and people are actually free to use it when they want, not like other places I've been where going to the lounge was frowned upon. Work-life balance is fine as long as you speak up. If a project gets behind and someone ask you to put in time they are truly asking. If you say that you can't work 60 hr weeks people will understand. That said, I've rarely had to put in more than a 40 hour work week. Lots of room for growth if you show initiative and are good at what you do. If you're mediocre there's just too much talent coming in to expect growth.

Cons

Time off and PTO are rolled together which is unfortunate. There isn't a lot of consistency in project length, you may be on a project for 3 months or 3 years. There's always work, but it would be nice to know when you can expect to pick up something new.

Disappointed at the company at the rate it's going at. The company is not stable and it will not take long for the compa

Current Employee - Developer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Systems In Motion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gives chance to Juniors and hires a lot. Flexible Hours (Can be an issue if you question anything, see cons)

Cons

Hours are flexible but it all depends on HR and Managers. If anyone of them have issues with an individual, then you're in for a rough drive. The company is not stable at this time because there are lots of new changes and almost all sr. management is new. HR always lacked in providing good service and their doors are always closed and HR has big attitude issues, extremely moody and rude. HR is really good at blaming the managers and employees without taking any type of ownership. Despite all of this, HR people are getting promoted like anything and most of HR people barely has 3-4 years of experience. Kids running the company, great.

Advice to Management

Please fix the problems instead of promoting HR, who doesn't deserve it. You should be promoting Developers who work extremely hard and fulfil clients requirements. HR is a Major problem and very controlling; you should be fixing that and take some corrective actions. HR shouldn't be involved in everything and should be kept away, just like they're famous at keeping their doors closed 5-6 hours of the day. They have so many people in HR and hard to believe that they don't have time for employees. Perhaps they need better management and at least we used to get better response as now we can't even say anything because HR reports directly to a CEO, putting fear in people is not good. Give us Market value compensations and please do 401k match, most employers do with great medical benefits. The new CEO, Mark, I don't have faith in this company any more. Old management was better and stable.

Feb 17, 2015 – CEO

The issues you raise are of great concern to me and I would like the opportunity to address them directly with you. I can assure you I will handle your feedback with the utmost confidentiality. I ... More

You get what you put in

I have been working at Systems In Motion

Pros

It's a corporation that contract you to clients or sub contract you. They do hire a variety of people at different level of skills. Like any job, this is very heavy in communication. You do a lot of coding but you also spend a lot of time talking to client. How great your experience is depends on 1. How skilled and talented you are. 2. How much time you are willing to put in. 3. Your project/Project Team members. Not everyone will be lucky to have a good team. My current team is horrible and plays the blame game, Now I'm picking up the pieces and expected to give them a miracle. Remember you are all hired as a consultant, so the client expect you to answer a lot o questions. If you are new and freshly graduated, this may get very hairy and overwhelming. Like any job...the ones who can't handle it will break and leave or be dropped. It's the life of a consultant. I am very happy with SIM. I am not happy with the client. How much you get paid, is how much experience you have, and how much negotiation skills you have. If you will accept any offer people give you then yes, you will always be underpaid regardless of company. If you are willing to tell them "I disagree, pay is always negotiable and if it is not, you may seek another candidate.".

Cons

I understand we are here to make the client happy, but they are not always right. I started with a Senior Architect/Project Lead who I can consult with questions and get help if I'm overwhelmed with something challenging. Client took him out. And the Contract Manager we were subcontracted to. It created a mess and now I'm losing sleep and my social life to the client. I'm royally mad at at the Client. SIM had a good structure inlace for a "just-incase" situations. It works. Client took it out so it's Hell.

Advice to Management

Every employee should go through a week of what it takes to succeed as a Consultant, and all the tools we may need to succeed in a an Agile environment. Like each us GIT or SVN (advance stuff). Or Rally, or just how to deal with good or bad clients. I had to learn on the fly, it's very unpleasant of an experience. I was lucky I was a consultant before and gave my team mate my guide book to help him out so he does mess up. Since he never worked as a consultant before.

Dec 26, 2014 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. On the client situation, if you are comfortable, please reach out to me directly and let me know more of the details. I would like to try to help improve things with the ... More

7. Good company

I have been working at Systems In Motion

Pros

Good attitude towards developers, not too much dumb practises

Cons

Low-ish pay. A bit below average pay for entry level work

Advice to Management

Pay more

NOT paid salary of $18,000

Former Employee - Arcthiect Lead in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Arcthiect Lead in Newark, CA

I worked at Systems In Motion

Pros

- I worked as ETL Architect/Project Lead contractor with SIM-Systems in Motion's client in Richmond, VA in year: 2011.its Health care client.

Cons

- Middle of contract SIM played nice game to reduce my billing rate 15 dollars per hour. I have no choice and then I given my 2 weeks notice and come out from project as I can't continue with less money. as of today da: 12/2014 Systems in Motions NOT paid me around $18,000 but client confirmed me that they released the payments for my services. - Made you to work 50-60 hours per week and will not pay overtime hours - They will outsource you around $140/hour & pay you very less.

Advice to Management

Pay to your employees as you already received payments from client

Jan 5, 2015 – CEO

I'm sorry to hear about this situation. I don't know the details of the situation, but I would like to hear more so that I can investigate on our side. Please reach out to me directly to help me ... More

Welcoming environment

Current Employee - Junior Quality Assurance Tester
    Current Employee - Junior Quality Assurance Tester

I have been working at Systems In Motion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment. Open communication with colleagues. Awesome game room

Cons

working during the night. tasks not equally distributed among team

Advice to Management

n/a

No value for the employees and low balls people

Current Employee - Developer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Systems In Motion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has very experienced and nice human beings in personal life. They give chance to juniors.

Cons

There is no work-life balance because Bosses expects a LOT. Sales/VPs' gives wrong expectations to the clients and it results into employees working 50+ hours per week. Juniors don't get proper training and that results into their poor work ethic as most of them are fresh out of high school and never had a full-time job before. Bosses are dishonest and lies to employees: They promise Overtime pay but they don't pay; they promise extra PTO time for working OT but they don't give out extra PTO as promised. HR Department is useless and hardly ever helps Employees and they start feeding wrong information to managers/bosses that results in employees's termination or quitting. HR is too controlling and moody, employees are scared to contact HR for any issues for the same reason. No one can really say anything to HR because they report to Sr. higher-up management. HR basically makes the final decision. As noted above in Pros: you hire really good people but hardly any of them can work in a team environment including Sr. Management. Recent VPs are experienced but they have no work ethic and can't work with team.

Advice to Management

You need to INVEST in your employees to gain better results and to avoid high retention. You need to know and care about employees' Personal/work life, it motivates US to do a better job. There is a career path for the employee but it's really non-existent because you hardly ever follow the career model. So, there is no personal growth. Compensation is another BIG which Systems In Motion lacks in. You need to pay your employees for what they are worth. Stop low balling people and cheap out on us because WE ARE the one DOING the WORK and not YOU!!

Dec 10, 2014 – CEO

Thank you for your candid feedback. Let me assure you that your views are seen by me and the entire management team. We care about you and the culture of this company and are committed to improving ... More

Cheap and no Morale

Current Employee - Junior Software Developer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Junior Software Developer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Systems In Motion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hires a lot of people. Work with new technology with different clients.

Cons

They hire anybody! There is no process on who to reach out to when need help. No org chart in the company. HR is very manipulative and extremely judgmental. Promises to talk to Management about given issue and they never do and upon reaching to the management, they aren't aware of the issue of hand. You can't disagree with HR, if you disagree, you're automatically in their bad side and turns into termination or an employee quits. I lost 3 of my colleagues from one project due to HR and their games. They control reviews and even if the Manger gives you good reviews, they ask Manager to change to keep it neutral, so they don't have to give out raises. HR tells anyone off and is extremely busy, the door is always closed and never helpful. Same goes to other HR because their doors are closed most of the time. Everyone is overworked and no overtime pay. Multiple projects (I'm on two projects), tight deadlines, due to that it results into working 7 days a week, includes nights and weekends. I have been at SIM for 15 months as Jr. Developer and not making anywhere near to what I can make elsewhere. I have raised my issue to my manager and HR and I'm told HR controls it. HR is inutile and they hire anyone despite being technically weak. They had to fire jr. devs because they shouldn't have been hired but HR passed them, including one of their own member because their appearance looked good and had a good personality.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, have a direct contact with them and understand our concerns. Stop being cheap and pay us what we deserve. Tell HR to stop interfering in everyone's business and ask them to genuinely help us. Mr. New CEO, you have lots of work to do and I'm glad previous CEO is no longer in-charge.

Dec 10, 2014 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. As you point out, there are many issues for me to look into. I will dig in to get a better understanding. What would help me the most would be specific details. If ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed