Systems In Motion

Very nice experience

Current Employee - Software Developer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Systems In Motion full-time (less than an year)

Pros

SIM is really a good place to work, people are really nice. The HR department is the best I've seen in my life. Colleagues are really nice and willing to help peers. Working is kind of flexible and never overtime!!

Cons

Salary is not really good compare to other IT companies

Assign people to group based on their experience and resume.

May you live in interesting times and interesting people notice you.

Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Systems In Motion full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at SIM for a while now and I've quite liked my time there. In my time there I've worked on a number of projects and have learned a lot of new business processes and technology. I've been fortunate in my time there as I've gone from code monkey to management back to code monkey (for now) and I've never felt disrespected by SIM itself. SIM is a hard knocks kind of work place which I love. Co-workers are great, senior management has always been available to me and have been very approachable. In the time I've worked with SIM my wages have nearly doubled, they have not been stingy with the raises and others have also been well treated, however these are top performers too.

Cons

As I said it's a hard knocks kind of place to work. Many employees come in having heard promises of on-the-job-training which there is, by doing stuff. It's a meat grinder, especially new people can find the expectations daunting and it's not a kind and fuzzy place in the thick of delivery. There are some abusive managers.

It's really easy for the less assertive to feel completely bowled over, or if one believes anyone but themselves is responsible for their career development then this is not the place for you.

Create an Alumni Association for former employees.

Best company I've ever worked for!

Current Employee - Human Resources/Recruiting in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Human Resources/Recruiting in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Systems In Motion as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The best part of SIM is the comfortable, laid back atmosphere. As a new employee, I immediately felt like part of the team because everyone is so welcoming. Employees are very friendly and the staff is very diverse. They offer great work/life balance and they have a wonderful and understanding management team. SIM treats employees very well; they often give out gift cards for great performance, reward team members with free meals, and arrange many team outings. I've worked for huge corporations that aren't even willing to do that!

Cons

Rush hour traffic in this area of Ann Arbor. SIM has already begun the search for a new location.

Keep up the good work!

Pretty sketchy place to work

Former Employee - Software Developer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Systems In Motion full-time (more than an year)

Pros

they do work on using current technology; many other devs to work with

Cons

poor pay, poor benefits, general sense of lack of respect for developers; a lot of corporate shenanigans and dishonesty, attempting to sell employees a false image of the company and their opportunities for growth there.

pay less attention to image and more to what truly makes employees feel valued and respected; be willing to forgo a couple of bucks here and there in favor of doing the right thing

Good place to get started

Current Employee - Junior Developer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Junior Developer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Systems In Motion full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work atmosphere is pretty relaxed and fun. Employees are (generally) retained even when the contract they were on finishes, so the job security is nice. The possibility of being moved between projects allows for gaining experience with a lot of different technologies. They hire people at all experience levels, including fresh grads and people who are self-taught. It's a great place for someone who is looking to get into this industry and build up their resume.

Cons

Compensation isn't very good. Their business model is based on paying most of their developers at less than market rate. Depending on what project you are placed on, support from your team/team lead could be anywhere from good to non-existent, which can make starting out as a junior dev difficult, especially on projects that involve working directly with the client. Mandatory overtime isn't uncommon, and there is no overtime pay. Lack of communication within teams is common.

Business Analyst

I worked at Systems In Motion full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good co workers. Has the potential to be a great place to work.

Cons

No real leadership, would grab contracts then rush to fit bill. Very political organization. Left hand never knew what the right hand was doing. They have a strong foothold in 2 companies and that is there bread and butter.

Grow up and work as a unit not individuals.

Great Place to Learn and Grow.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Systems In Motion full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Projects are up to date, not necessarily bleeding edge, but very cool tech stacks to work on.
    Incredible Flexibility.
    Fun, nerdy atmosphere.
    Solid management and opportunities to grow.
    Very relaxed and low pressure, but it may depend on the team/project.
    Plenty of opportunities to work horizontally on different technologies.

Cons

Consulting work so yeah some projects are better than others etc. Standard consulting cons.

Get a new office building, starting to get crammed.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Systems In Motion full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a fun, fast paced, and growing place to work. The balance of work and family life is the greatest perk for working here. However, you need to be a driven person to succeed here. So only if you're looking to progress in your craft should you apply. The talent here is very high! If you fit that description and love having a good work/balance life then i cant think of a better company to work for. Plus the management is supper supportive and the HR department is bar none to any company I've worked for.

Cons

The only con I can see in the foreseeable future is the company is growing so fast we might run out of parking spaces. So parking could be a nightmare one day for the Ann Arbor office.

Company with poor career paths

I have been working at Systems In Motion

Pros

Small size. All US employees.

Cons

Improper management, poor growth options.

Listen to your employees without trying to insert your own thoughts or judgment

Not what they want to be.

Current Employee - Developer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Developer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Systems In Motion full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, really open to helping with whatever you need, monthly events for people who need some fun, sometimes you work from home without anyone even questioning it.

Cons

Low pay and old code. You wont get paid a lot but you will work hard trying to understand and support a lot of old projects

Give out more money and maybe people will stay.