Systems Made Simple

Systems Made Simple Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Systems Made Simple CEO Ron Fishbeck

Ron Fishbeck

Excellent Company to work for providing many opportunities for growth and professional development!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Vienna, VA

ProsCompany is very progressive in the market. Company provides many benefits to employees such as flexible work schedules, good health plans, and 401K pension planning. Employees have a small waiting period for contributing to the pension plan but are full invested with company match.
    Company is very pro family and allowed me to work from home during a minor crisis.

ConsWould like to see better communication among senior level staff. New location in Vienna is not the easiest to get to as traffic difficult in this area.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior people should continue to be more consistent in communication to employees. Allow managers to have full accountability in managing their staff.

Below Average

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMy project was remote, so I worked from home exclusively. The mission of the project I worked on was interesting. The time reporting software was easy to use.

ConsSenior management was mediocre at best and the one executive I respected left. The company would not pay for any training. When I was hired on as a permanent employee from a sub-contract position, their justification for the low salary they offered was that I had too little experience (15+ years) and that it was a remote position.

A dinosaur working in the government sector failing spectacularly at their push into private industry.

Principal Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsAlthough they low-balled my salary, the compensation was decent enough. I enjoyed working with my SMS co-workers. My peers at the client site were a great bunch of people. It's the kind of gig that lends itself to securing a sinecure for a long period of time with an average work ethic. They offer health insurance.

ConsInternal company communication is utter chaos. Depending on whom you talk to, you'll get a different answer, often diametrically opposed to what was last told to you. Onboarding is painful and the one-size-fits-all policy drives away talented employees. Required to send daily status reports to your PM, who is rarely, if ever, onsite.

There's also the pressure to constantly upsell the client on SMS resources. SMS is currently engaged in litigation for allegedly violating the ADA statute by firing an employee in Texas who was disabled and initially promised he could work offsite, but after accepting the offer, SMS canned him despite offering reasonable accommodation. SMS has a nasty habit of making offers based on working remotely, then requiring continual onsite presence. Bait and switch! Get everything and I mean everything in writing, otherwise you have no recourse.

The company's moral compass seems to be broken and the management is typical for a company run by old, white, curmudgeonly veterans who have adopted the Group Think associated with long-term government contracting. HR is useless. Job descriptions are vague and often wrong, making initial contact with clients a bit tense.

And the laptops they issue are grossly underpowered for accomplishing any meaningful work.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to the dreariness of government contracting and stop trying to fool yourself into thinking you have the right people to break into the private sector. The PMs with n as n approaches infinity certifications after their name are the absolute worst offenders.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have been an employee with SMS for 8 months and cannot be any happier as it is a great company.

Test Engineer (Current Employee) Martinsburg, WV

ProsCommunication is top notch and promotion within seems to be very attainable.

ConsNone that I have encountered so far.

Opportunity to government contract exposure

ProsA lot of great talent in the organization!!

Cons- Management needs to be more supportive on their desire to achieve a more effective and professional organization.
    - Organization is encountering a lot of growing pains that are self-induced.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your people that are client facing.

Growing Pains

ProsGreat pay, easy to work with your schedule and get time off.

ConsTraining, professional development is lacking.

What started off as an exciting opportunity became a stressful, confusing, and miserable experience.

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsSmall Christmas Bonus, Small salary bump every year I worked for them, Fairly good communication from upper management about the company

ConsNo training, No tools, Disconnected communication between managers, No value on experience, No clearly defined roles/responsibilities or goals

Advice to Senior ManagementGet on the same page. There seems to be a very large disconnect in the way that the managers operate. Listen to a manager, get punished by another. That is no way for an employee to work or be successful.

Need for improvement

ProsGreat co-workers at SMS, Inc.

ConsEverything else but since this requires more words all I can further state is the same input, "everything else"

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, specifically when they are at a point on a project they need assistance for decisions within a given timeframe that cannot be given without management's input.

Do NOT work as a contractor for SMS

ProsCasual work environment, minimal supervision ("flat" organizational structure, which can be a pro or a con, depending..). Minimal workload alot of the time (which again, can be pro or con, depending on what you want.) Some telework options (some of which were rescinded after people were lured to work there because of them.)

ConsDisorganization, waste, Employee indifference. The office i worked for brought on alot of contract employees through agencies, with the idea that converting to employee status would be near-automatic, assuming adequate performance. Instead, most of the contractorsin my section were fired/let-go with no advance notice - zero ... as in , you get a a call one day and
    are told "today is your last day, clean out your desk." This was NOT at some appointed six-month time frame, either .. it was random. We were falsely told that these fired
     contractors had voluntarily resigned by the higher-ups. It wasn't until I stopped working there that I found out the truth.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome serious soul-searching is in order. Basic dishonesty in hiring/firing tactics (and maybe budgeting?) is a clear morale-killer.

An excellent company with high values

Senior Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Syracuse, NY

ProsAllows for many people to telecommute
    The company is truly committed to conducting business ethically
    It provides an excellent bench for consultants between gigs
    The company has been around for many years. It has a sound business model and an active capture process.

ConsSometimes, SMS bids on work it does not have the best staff members to fulfill.
    It provides decent health insurance but the cost has gone up and the coverage has gone down.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job of understanding current capacities (skillset-wise) before bidding on a job.

Worked for Systems Made Simple? Contribute to the Community!