Systems Made Simple

Ron Fishbeck

Leading Company with bright future

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Systems Made Simple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong management values this company is very different than others that I have worked for. They are flexible with work hours and telecommuting. The culture is one of hard work and success, failure is not an option. Pay is good and career growth does look achievable. Fair play seems to be part of their DNA, which is something I like.

Cons

I would say that their marketing needs to be better focused within the Healthcare IT domain, they seem to be all over the place when it comes to chasing down opportunities.

Senior Management needs to be seen more often, you get the impression these guys have their heads down "grinding" all the time. They need to pop their collective heads up and be more engaging across the company.

Management Has No Conscience

Former Employee - IT Business Analyst
    Former Employee - IT Business Analyst

I worked at Systems Made Simple

Pros

You get paid on a regular basis

Cons

I am amazed at some of these reviews that report on this company’s positives. Seems most of these are from permanent employees.

NOTE: the bulk of people who have, or are currently working for this company are subcontractors, who work on the ‘promise’ of being offered a permanent, System Made Simple® job. And that is the rub: many of us working on a specific project had the ‘rug pulled out from us’ when after five months into our six month temporary contract tenure we were told “Guess what? You are not going to be offered any permanent employment.” What does this really mean about the company? This is one example of just how unethical these people are.

As for the work; the bulk of the staff sat around doing very little; there were actual employees who would Web-surf and/or watch movies all day long, with nothing really to do. Systems Made Simple® didn’t mind this: as long as these people were generating revenue (billing the client, at taxpayers’ expense) they didn’t care WHAT you did for 8 hours every work day.

I can only wonder at how Systems Made Simple® gets away with this. Or how the company doesn’t have any sense of remorse at what they do (and what they do NOT do). But I figure the management (who nearly all of us on the project never saw or communicated with) have no conscience; and with no conscience, no sense of guilt in screwing over contractors and ripping off government clients.

Get a conscience. Really try to care. And stop billing clients for no work performed.

Strong up and comer with a bright future

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at Systems Made Simple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

SMS is loyal to their employees. They try to do things right for their employees and subcontractors. Fair pay and flexibility in work hours and work location. Has a goal to advance career path of employees. Building a good image in the industry and appears to have an excellent future.

Cons

Has been blindsided by losing (re)bids and then scrambling to find work for employees (but lessons appear to have been learned and that happens less often). Diverse work locations makes it harder to feel like a cohesive team.

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Systems Made Simple full-time (less than an year)

Pros

For a contracting company they are great to work for. The pay is good and there is not a lot of "overhead" to deal with. I could see staying with this company for an extended period.

Cons

Since the headquarters are a long way away, they really don't know what we do here so they are out of touch with this contract. But that's not a bad thing always.

You have a lot of people working on the contract in Austin. When you come to talk to them tailor your speech to what they do, don't show them a recorded speech that has nothing to do with what happens in Austin. They are making you a lot of money, treat them accordingly.

Excellent Company to work for providing many opportunities for growth and professional development!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Systems Made Simple full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company is very progressive in the market. Company provides many benefits to employees such as flexible work schedules, good health plans, and 401K pension planning. Employees have a small waiting period for contributing to the pension plan but are full invested with company match.
    Company is very pro family and allowed me to work from home during a minor crisis.

Cons

Would like to see better communication among senior level staff. New location in Vienna is not the easiest to get to as traffic difficult in this area.

Senior people should continue to be more consistent in communication to employees. Allow managers to have full accountability in managing their staff.

Below Average

I worked at Systems Made Simple full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My project was remote, so I worked from home exclusively. The mission of the project I worked on was interesting. The time reporting software was easy to use.

Cons

Senior management was mediocre at best and the one executive I respected left. The company would not pay for any training. When I was hired on as a permanent employee from a sub-contract position, their justification for the low salary they offered was that I had too little experience (15+ years) and that it was a remote position.

A dinosaur working in the government sector failing spectacularly at their push into private industry.

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer

I worked at Systems Made Simple full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Although they low-balled my salary, the compensation was decent enough. I enjoyed working with my SMS co-workers. My peers at the client site were a great bunch of people. It's the kind of gig that lends itself to securing a sinecure for a long period of time with an average work ethic. They offer health insurance.

Cons

Internal company communication is utter chaos. Depending on whom you talk to, you'll get a different answer, often diametrically opposed to what was last told to you. Onboarding is painful and the one-size-fits-all policy drives away talented employees. Required to send daily status reports to your PM, who is rarely, if ever, onsite.

There's also the pressure to constantly upsell the client on SMS resources. SMS is currently engaged in litigation for allegedly violating the ADA statute by firing an employee in Texas who was disabled and initially promised he could work offsite, but after accepting the offer, SMS canned him despite offering reasonable accommodation. SMS has a nasty habit of making offers based on working remotely, then requiring continual onsite presence. Bait and switch! Get everything and I mean everything in writing, otherwise you have no recourse.

The company's moral compass seems to be broken and the management is typical for a company run by old, white, curmudgeonly veterans who have adopted the Group Think associated with long-term government contracting. HR is useless. Job descriptions are vague and often wrong, making initial contact with clients a bit tense.

And the laptops they issue are grossly underpowered for accomplishing any meaningful work.

Stick to the dreariness of government contracting and stop trying to fool yourself into thinking you have the right people to break into the private sector. The PMs with n as n approaches infinity certifications after their name are the absolute worst offenders.

I have been an employee with SMS for 8 months and cannot be any happier as it is a great company.

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Martinsburg, WV
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Martinsburg, WV

I have been working at Systems Made Simple full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Communication is top notch and promotion within seems to be very attainable.

Cons

None that I have encountered so far.

Opportunity to government contract exposure

I have been working at Systems Made Simple full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of great talent in the organization!!

Cons

- Management needs to be more supportive on their desire to achieve a more effective and professional organization.
    - Organization is encountering a lot of growing pains that are self-induced.

Support your people that are client facing.

Growing Pains

I have been working at Systems Made Simple

Pros

Great pay, easy to work with your schedule and get time off.

Cons

Training, professional development is lacking.

Systems Made Simple Photos